Analyze my target - is something wrong with my Tikka T3?

i have a T3 in 270wsm, light SS barrel. 3 shots is all i get befor it starts to open up to about 1.5 in. I have talked with the Tikka rep from Beretta and they are aware of the issue with how bad their barrels move around. This gun shoots .437 at 100 and 2 in at 400 if left cool . cold bore shot is always dead nutz. it is because of the light barrel that i have a Brux #10 contour waiting in my cabinet for the funds to put on. No, nothing wrong with the gun, barrel ect. If you want to shoot off a bench all day and poke bugholes, put a heavier barrel on. If you want that first shot kill at what ever yards, dont do anything. Tikka rifles are in the top 2% of production guns in my humble opinion. smoothest bolt action around and inexpensive to boot.

Craig

... Tikka rifles are in the top 2% of production guns in my humble opinion. smoothest bolt action around and inexpensive to boot.
Craig

Glad you offered that. I too am a big fan of Tikka rifles; for hunting. If your dope sheet is reliable and you have the range calculated correctly you usually don't need a second shot with their rifles.

I'll offer one other thing o think about. i have a Tika T3 in a .300 WSM. Running 150 grain barnes TTSX bullets in it. No its not a long range bullet.... It shoots 1/2 MOA for the first 10-12 rounds and then the groups open up. Rifle can be dead cold from home and it will be a 2 MOA or worse after 15 rounds. Copper fouling. Clean it good and the groups shrink back to 1/2 MOA.
Bit of recoil so I don't shoot it a lot or often... Bruce

No need to shoot 4 or 5 shot groups. That is, unless you want to Post on the Sniper's Hide forum. Then I think you need minimum 100 shot groups, or they'll ban you for life. Less than 50 shot groups and after they ban your ***, they'll then report you to the IRS! :) :D

That's probably the funniest thing I've read today!

I love it when you see guys at the range with 3 empty boxes of ammo and a group the size of a paper plate and they say, "Yup, shot pretty well today, I'm good."

I'll offer one other thing o think about. i have a Tika T3 in a .300 WSM. Running 150 grain barnes TTSX bullets in it. No its not a long range bullet.... It shoots 1/2 MOA for the first 10-12 rounds and then the groups open up. Rifle can be dead cold from home and it will be a 2 MOA or worse after 15 rounds. Copper fouling. Clean it good and the groups shrink back to 1/2 MOA.
Bit of recoil so I don't shoot it a lot or often... Bruce

this is not a criticism I'm trying to make a suggestion.
it seems like the barrel is getting hot.
150 in a WSM will go very fast. Powder residue and heat could cause copper galling against the barrel.
If it were me I would shoot much more like i was actually hunting. shoot two shots waiting 5 minutes between. Run a snake or dry patch through the bore and wait a half hour. Then shoot two shots like you were hunting. Run a dry patch or snake. wait a half an hour and repeat.

What powder? I like H4350.

That's probably the funniest thing I've read today!

I love it when you see guys at the range with 3 empty boxes of ammo and a group the size of a paper plate and they say, "Yup, shot pretty well today, I'm good."

LoL. Yup I hit 3 milk jugs at 100 yards. Im Ready for season now.

No need to shoot 4 or 5 shot groups. That is, unless you want to Post on the Sniper's Hide forum. Then I think you need minimum 100 shot groups, or they'll ban you for life. Less than 50 shot groups and after they ban your ***, they'll then report you to the IRS! :) :D
I posted some 3 shot groups once from a pencil thin barel and several guys there told me you can't get an accurate read on a gun with 3 shot groups. Said I was wasting my time trying to see how the gun would shoot, if I didn't shoot at least a 10 shot group. They basically laughed at my 3 shot groups. I simply replied that he could shoot as many times as he wanted to, but myself, if I can't kill it in three shots ill go home and check my gun out. He didn't like that reply.

I posted some 3 shot groups once from a pencil thin barrel and several guys there told me you can't get an accurate read on a gun with 3 shot groups.

Sure you can. It tells you how accurate that rifle is with three shot groups....but I hear you....there are "shots per group" wadis all over....What really matters is were that first cold bore shot hits. No matter what you are hunting.

Sure you can. It tells you how accurate that rifle is with three shot groups....but I hear you....there are "shots per group" wadis all over....What really matters is were that first cold bore shot hits. No matter what you are hunting.

Amen. If I can put the first 3 shots out of my rifle in a dime then that is perfect for hunting in my book

Barrel heating/fouling is most likely but IF you note you're having issues the next time you are out right off the bat check your scope screws and also the action screws. My 7mm-08 has loosened itself up at times, first the scope mounts (Tallys) so I added blue loctite on those this time. Secondly the front action screw seemed to have loosened enough it allowed the action to pop off the recoil lug (on top of it), I flipped the lug and tightened it down well and its shooting awesome again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.