What is the smallest caliber to legally hunt black bear with?

I used to hunt bears with hounds, you don't need much when they are in a tree. Things can get a little hairy on the ground if ya got a bear that wants a go round. I guided a cat hunter who used an Encore pistol in .243 Win. And shot vmax bullets. A black bears brisket isn't very thick at all. I think this would work well for what I'm describing above. There are to many different ways to hunt them, to answere th3 question farely

Hi TG, I know what your perspective on this subject is, we've had this discussion before:rolleyes:! I'm on the other end of the continuum. I'm there for a week, I've paid a considerable amount of money, for my budget, and I'd like to get the job done. My artillery is comprised of 35 Whelen, .358 Winchester and an 1895 Marlin Guide gun in 45-70. I've never used the Guide Gun, however have seen a number of bear that have been shot with the 45-70 with impressive results. I've shot a number of bear with the 35 Whelen, and one bear with the .358 Winchester, great calibers for bear hunting.

Bears really aren't that tough. No more than a whitetail deer. The biggest issue is getting them to bleed if they decide to take off. Smallest caliber I feel comfortable with is 6.5mm. My grandfather has shot a couple with his 6mm rem.

Bears really aren't that tough. No more than a whitetail deer. The biggest issue is getting them to bleed if they decide to take off. Smallest caliber I feel comfortable with is 6.5mm. My grandfather has shot a couple with his 6mm rem.
I agree - we spot and stalk them in open country. My son and I have both killed them with 243s and SST bullets. Both shots were around 300 yards. People hear bear and think tough grizz or brown bear; however I agree with your comparison to a whitetail deer. Anything you would shoot a whitetail with you could kill a blackbear with imo.

I agree - we spot and stalk them in open country. My son and I have both killed them with 243s and SST bullets. Both shots were around 300 yards. People hear bear and think tough grizz or brown bear; however I agree with your comparison to a whitetail deer. Anything you would shoot a whitetail with you could kill a blackbear with imo.
This can be different in the fall. Like we're ive killed all my bear. They feed on huckleberries, then move to mountain ash berries and some even make it down to the apple trees. Those are the fatter ones.
I've killed more bear with arrows than bullets. But in the fall, that same bear has a different build than in the spring.
A lunged bear isn't going far. Waiting for the armpit whithout ruing shoulder meat is my choice shot, I like the meat to much to take a shoulder/bone shot. It is best to break a bear down though, regardless of species.

I have found bear to be much easier to kill than some whitetail. I shot my last black bear in Idaho with archery gear and he made it 10 yards. The 2 prior to that were shot with a 7mm-08 by myself and my at the time 10 year old son, both of them didn't go more than ten yards either.

I'm not saying to shoot them with a 223 or anything like that, however, a cannon is surely not needed.

I've hunted black bear in New Brunswick many times. There was a guy who insisted on using his 22-250 on several trips. The outfitter went along with his choice and the shooter was rather successful. :rolleyes:

Personally, I prefer my 45-70 over anything else in the gun safe for taking black bears. It can be seen in my avatar. The pictured bear was taken in Newfoundland. He ran about 35yds after taking a 400gr Speer JSP in the chest.

Last edited:
I've hunted black bear in New Brunswick many times. There was a guy who insisted on using his 22-250 on several trips. The outfitter went along with his choice and the shooter was rather successful. :rolleyes:

Personally, I prefer my 45-70 over anything in the gun safe for taking black bears. It can be seen in my avatar. The pictured bear was taken in Newfoundland. He ran about 35yds after taking a 400gr Speer JSP in the chest.

I like and my guides like the 35 Whelen, .358 Winchester and the 45-70s for bear. The last outfitter I hunted with in Maine insisted on nothing less than a .270 Winchester with 150 grain bullets. The guides want them to drop right there, or if they do run away they want a good blood trail. I hunt Maine so if a bear runs off into the woods, you pretty much are on your hands and knees looking for a blood trail on the trees and forest floor. I have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 that I would not hesitate to shoot any bear with, however I believe that there are better rounds for taking grizzly than a 45-70. I have seen a number of bear shot in Maine with the 45-70s, all have been bang/flop with through and through holes. Not too much tissue damage, just a nice, big clean hole in and out.

I guess I am just old. I dont understand the part of wanting to use the smallest caliber for hunting. I am not saying you need a 375 H&H for everything, but what's wrong with using a .270 or 30/06 or similar? What am I missing here?

I guess I am just old. I dont understand the part of wanting to use the smallest caliber for hunting. I am not saying you need a 375 H&H for everything, but what's wrong with using a .270 or 30/06 or similar? What am I missing here?

Well you and me both. I guess that the responses were to the question the OP presented. Sometimes some of the threads take on a whole new life of their own. In my opinion you are not old, you just possess common sense; and, sometimes common sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden!! I'm into the larger diameter bullets for black bear hunting, thus the 35 Whelen, .358 Winchester and the 45-70. Most any rifle cartridge can kill a bear, just some are not as practical as others. Whether it's a black bear or a grizzly bear neither one are fun to track when they are wounded. My last experience with a guide looking or a wounded black bear turned into a situation where the guide was almost torn up. That bear was gut shot with an arrow, the hunter swore that it was a good hit, not....so! The only reason the bear died was because the arrow struck a major artery in the hind leg. To me a question of, "What caliber would you recommend for hunting black bears?" would be a better one. On this forum you will find the this question gets asked quite often for just about all game that is hunted. I like to hunt with a caliber that I know will get the job done with no questions asked. I like the .270 Winchester, however for black bear hunting I prefer a larger caliber (diameter) bullet for an exit hole for a blood trail. I like the .270, I just believe that there are better calibers to hunt bear with. All of the outfitters that I have hunted with all preach the same thing, large exit holes in case the bear has to be tracked.

Well you and me both. I guess that the responses were to the question the OP presented. Sometimes some of the threads take on a whole new life of their own. In my opinion you are not old, you just possess common sense; and, sometimes common sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden!! I'm into the larger diameter bullets for black bear hunting, thus the 35 Whelen, .358 Winchester and the 45-70. Most any rifle cartridge can kill a bear, just some are not as practical as others. Whether it's a black bear or a grizzly bear neither one are fun to track when they are wounded. My last experience with a guide looking or a wounded black bear turned into a situation where the guide was almost torn up. That bear was gut shot with an arrow, the hunter swore that it was a good hit, not....so! The only reason the bear died was because the arrow struck a major artery in the hind leg. To me a question of, "What caliber would you recommend for hunting black bears?" would be a better one. On this forum you will find the this question gets asked quite often for just about all game that is hunted. I like to hunt with a caliber that I know will get the job done with no questions asked. I like the .270 Winchester, however for black bear hunting I prefer a larger caliber (diameter) bullet for an exit hole for a blood trail. I like the .270, I just believe that there are better calibers to hunt bear with. All of the outfitters that I have hunted with all preach the same thing, large exit holes in case the bear has to be tracked.

I agree, for me a .270 would be a minimum. I like the larger bores as well. I know many will say they have seen game run away after being shot with a .300+whatever, so size doesn't matter. I would always want to be over gunned than under gunned. I usually shoot either a 7mm mag or 45/70 Marlin 1895. I do have other options, but keep pulling them out when hunting time arrives. I have killed many rocks,squirrels and pieces of paper of the years with my .22 , but I wouldn't take it hog hunting.

Anything that can kill and eat you demands respect. Close over bait I would like to try my 50 cal Pro Hunter ML. Further out my 300WM would be the one I would take.
I don't care if smaller is legal these are the ones for me!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.