Interior Alaska black bear hunt

Ksduckhntr

Does anyone do this type of hunting? I am curious if there's a diy option for hunting the interior of Alaska. A lot of not all the readily available information is for the SE or Kenia peninsula. Can some one spot and walk near Denali or other area in the southern range?

Second question; for those who live with grizzlies in your area how concerned are you with rifle caliber selection? Scenario: should I take the 300wsm over the 308 bc the potential of grizzlies in the area or do you hunt with just your normal rifle? Coming from the Midwest, it's something we don't have to contemplate.

Is it possible? Yes, it's very possible. You just gotta get the into the regs and so some research…or find someone that knows the areas. As far as grizzlies…Biggest caliber that you can shoot accurately. They killed a 1400 pounder a few years back on Kodiak with a .308…so there is no magic answer or bullet to solve a grizzly problem. I've killed some larger bears with my 6.5 PRC. I wasn't there to hunt bears, I was after other animals, but when an opportunity manifested, I took advantage of it without hesitation.

2 pieces of advice when it comes to the question of killing (or in your case, defending yourself from) Brownies/Grizzlies…1. Shoot the biggest caliber that you shoot well…that you shoot REALLY well. A great shot with a small caliber is far more lethal than missed shots or very marginal shots with a huge safari caliber. 2. Take advice from those that have done it, or even better than that, do it every year. Shooting ungulates yearly isn't even close to dealing with larger bears. Nothing makes me laugh more than reading posts on here about Brown Bear calibers/bullets where a bunch of people who have never killed a bear state their theories as if they are fact.

With all that said, Good Luck!

Jeremy

I appreciate the info so far. We are loooong at 2025 with the main objective black bear. I just wasn't sure how concerned our rifle selection should be dictated by grizzlies in the area.

Has anyone hunted the interior for black bears? We are researching using a flight service for a drop camp if we can track one down.

I've never done it, admittedly never really understood the bear hunting thing. But plan to next year, after listening to every Moose hunter in 50 miles of me complain about all the darn bears.

Not sure about out of state diy, but I'd imagine a solid 30 cal would do on the rifle side of things. If my 300 wsm is done by then that's what I'm taking...

If you can shoot the 300 well carry it. In grizzly country everything happens fast and close. I have found even on bluff charges I instinctively grab my sidearm ( glock 20 10mm). So I am not promoting 10mm for bear, it is what I shoot accurately. I can put 9 rounds accurately on target in the time it takes me to put 2 454 casull rounds on target. I am a huge fan of spot and stalk around unit 13. Interior bears are not as big as coastal bears, but just as mean and fast. Get high and glass, pick your camp spots based on DNR topo maps. Remember the maps lie alot, if it looks flat and easy it is full of tussock and will be slow, wet and miserable. Remember your bug dope 100% deet works great but don't get it on your gear. Good luck and remember your cameras Alaska is beautiful.

Bug spray is always a good reminder. Last year was la Nina and wetter than normal, swear the bugs were 2x as bad with standing water even in places it dries out. If the weather cycle stays the course, probably be another miserable one.

If your flying in the pilot will likely have an opinion on where he traditionally likes to drop people. They are not usually in the business of dropping you in a swamp unless you specifically want them to.

Thank you all for the additional information. We have hunted Kodiak for blacktail and were blown away by the slow foot travel it is. The sheer vertical climbs while dodging waterfowl's and under vegetation chutes. It was a real eye opener. We all carried bear spray in addition to our rifles. The bugs weren't terrible when we got up to the alpine but noticeable in the vegetation and lake side. This will be our first time in the interior so looking forward to the challenge.

Is there a better option than hiring a fly in operator? Also is spring or fall more desirable for spot and stalk?

I'm not sure on the spot and stock aspect so I'll defer. On the issue of planes, all my friends use mini jet or jet boats, but that's just because we can't afford planes. If planes are in the budget, can't imagine a better method of transport for the interior.

Thank you all for the additional information. We have hunted Kodiak for blacktail and were blown away by the slow foot travel it is. The sheer vertical climbs while dodging waterfowl's and under vegetation chutes. It was a real eye opener. We all carried bear spray in addition to our rifles. The bugs weren't terrible when we got up to the alpine but noticeable in the vegetation and lake side. This will be our first time in the interior so looking forward to the challenge.

Is there a better option than hiring a fly in operator? Also is spring or fall more desirable for spot and stalk?
I have hunted tangle lakes with canoe and seen lots of bears. It a a few hour drive from Fairbanks. You can look at renting from , UAF or REI . There are rental cabins all around the state, on state website. You can also float river system and hunt.