What is the most accurate barrel lngth,twist,weight,and load for the 7mm rem mag?

Would I loose velocity with a 30" barrel?
I'd disagree a little here. Generally speaking, you're more likely to get an accurate rifle when you spend more on quality components. It's an odds game of course, and some expensive guns won't shoot, and some cheap ones will. Odds are just better that you'll get a shooter, the more you spend (to a point of course).

If you don't learn to shoot well though, you'll likely never know if you got a good rifle or not...

The rule of thumb is about 25 fps per inch of length. That holds pretty well till you get extreme on either end, but for "normal" lengths from ~22" to ~28" this should be a pretty good guess. For a 7RM, I wouldn't go below 24" and above 26" gets unwieldy if you put a brake on it.

I'd disagree a little here. Generally speaking, you're more likely to get an accurate rifle when you spend more on quality components. It's an odds game of course, and some expensive guns won't shoot, and some cheap ones will. Odds are just better that you'll get a shooter, the more you spend (to a point of course).
Yes, but like I said, there is no specific brand of good quality aftermarket barrel that is automatically going to shoot any better than the next. Maybe I should have worded it a bit better...

You don't want to walk through the woods with a 30" barrel...Especially if you hunt really brushy areas. If you have open areas, and no brush to walk through, or you can drive ATV's or a truck to your hunting spot, then weight and length don't really matter.

No, I think ~25 fps/in generalization still applies more or less at that length, but you're getting into "diminishing returns" territory, unless this is a nearly exclusive bench gun. There's a reason that barrel length is a special order sort of thing...

140g bullet, Accubond, Ballistic tip, tipped triple shock
65-66g of IMR 4350
Rem case
91/2 primer
3200+ fps
tiny groups

Or
67-68g of R#22 with a cci 250 or fed 215 primer

or

67g of R#29 with a fed 215 in Win brass, work up to this load

IN my Rem's, these shoot 3.5" at 550 yards.

If you are concerned about whether the 7RM can be an accurate cartridge, it absolutely can be. I put one together last summer and opted for 26" 1:8T barrel. It's a Savage action, H.S. precision stock, and Criterion barrel...I think I have $1,600 into the rifle before optics. It puts everything (cheap factory loads or handloads) I feed it into the same group at 100 yards in the 1/2 moa range, and I'm confident that once I find a load it really likes it will be in the .2's...consistently. In my rifle I have safely gotten to 3,000 fps with 180 gr pills and no pressure signs yet. The 7RM is definitely one of my all time favorites and I think it will do everything you want it to.

Remington 700's in a Laminate stock, bedded, freefloated, tuned trigger shoot a variety of bullets 1/2" and less, and I put muzzle breaks on every one of mine, Gentry brakes have 15* forward angled ports.

140g bullet, Accubond, Ballistic tip, tipped triple shock
65-66g of IM
3200+ fps
tiny groups

Or
67-68g of R#22 with a cci 250 or fed 215 primer

or

67g of R#29 with a fed 215 in Win brass, work up to this load

IN my Rem's, these shoot 3.5" at 550 yards.
+1 on 67-68 gr RL22, Fed 215 or CCI 250 with the 140's. Works with Berger VLD as well. 3200 fps and small groups is right on.

I have a 1:9" /w 26" barrel for my 7mmRM and happy with the results. I shoot 160 Partition ($$) hunting and 168 ABLR ($) target. The Berger stability calculator still shows good stability at 180. My woods hunting rifle is 1:9.5" and that shoots the 168 1 MOA out to 200 yards. After 26" I think you start getting into diminishing returns in MV and you loose balance. Powder seems to be a much bigger factor. Best results so far are with H1000.

I just purchased a rifle with a 1:9.5" twist, 24-1/2" barrel in 7mm RM. I have not shot it yet. It is for hunting deer, and maybe elk, at longer ranges. I'm curious factory ammo, and weight, might be a solid choice for my application? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.