What is the most accurate factory rifle?

Smoak352

I am also in the market for a flat shooting 300 magnum. Which is the most accurate out of the box? Accumark? Sendero? Also what is best Ultra mag or 300wby? 30-378? Lazzeroni?

Or is custom that much better?
Anyone ever do work with Hart?

In a recent poll on this site savage 42%,Remington 16%, Cooper 13%, where the top 3

My Savage 30-06 Model 116 FCSS (Accu trigger & AccuStock) with a sporter 22" barrel shoots .38 inch groups at 100 yds with hand loaded ammo. I just picked a load and didn't tune the load to the gun. Varget 45gr/178 gr A-Max/Win LR primer. Pretty good for a $600 gun + $150 Scope.

In order to truly know if your gun is accurate for long range it is imperative that you test it at long range.

Many factory rifles can print a decent groups at 100 yards. For our accuracy purposes 100 yards is irrelevant. Most long range match bullets don't go to sleep until 200-300 yards. Most imperfections in the firearm don't show up until youre past 200 yards.

Most factory guns can print a random good group causing the shooter to think he has a quarter moa gun. In reality the gun is not consistent enough to shoot that group time after time. When looking at accuracy it is important to add consistency to the equation.

Most factory guns have larger aggregate grouping than customs when you average all the groups out. Shooters quote their guns accuracy the way bullet makers quote bc. It's all based on perfect conditions.

As the range increases, every flaw in the gun, ammo, and shooter is magnified.

In order to truly know if your gun is accurate for long range it is imperative that you test it at long range.

Many factory rifles can print a decent groups at 100 yards. For our accuracy purposes 100 yards is irrelevant. Most long range match bullets don't go to sleep until 200-300 yards. Most imperfections in the firearm don't show up until youre past 200 yards.

Most factory guns can print a random good group causing the shooter to think he has a quarter moa gun. In reality the gun is not consistent enough to shoot that group time after time. When looking at accuracy it is important to add consistency to the equation.

Most factory guns have larger aggregate grouping than customs when you average all the groups out. Shooters quote their guns accuracy the way bullet makers quote bc. It's all based on perfect conditions.

As the range increases, every flaw in the gun, ammo, and shooter is magnified.

I agree to dissagree with half of your post
gary

I agree with this

This is hokey. You're implying that bullets that haven't yet stabilized fully(at 100yds) will produce BETTER accuracy than those that have -further downrange(at 300yds).. Then contradict with imperfections not showing up UNTIL further downrange.

Most factory guns can print a random good group causing the shooter to think he has a quarter moa gun. In reality the gun is not consistent enough to shoot that group time after time.
None of this matters with most accurate factory longrangeHUNTING.com guns.
What matters, is cold bore ACCURACY.

I am also in the market for a flat shooting 300 magnum. Which is the most accurate out of the box? Accumark? Sendero? Also what is best Ultra mag or 300wby? 30-378? Lazzeroni?

Or is custom that much better?
Anyone ever do work with Hart?

IMHO it is a game of percentages when considering highly accurate factory rifles. Some rifles will give a higher % than others. The survey on this site as others have referenced, is a fair indicator. I say fair because the total sample of each rifle makes a difference in the stats. Also, we don't know which votes are based on opinion and which are based on actual usage. Fact is , as can be easily seen on this site, lots of shooters think they have the most accurate brand........it's likely more rifle, load, shooter, dependent than brand dependent in most of the commentary. I have some very accurate Remington, Winchester, and Savage rifles that will give accuracy as good as a custom of similar design. I have also dumped a lot of factory rifles of the same make over the years due to lousy accuracy.

The Hart is an excellent barrel and they do an excellent job mating it to your action.. I
think the difference in putting together a PROPERLY built custom with a good barrel, is that those percentages of getting an exceptionally accurate rifle increase substantially. I also believe that the custom barrel will more often foul less, clean easier, and deliver more favorable hot/cold/clean bore performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.