What is the most accurate barrel lngth,twist,weight,and load for the 7mm rem mag?

Since this is a long range hunting forum, I'll assume you're talking about longer range shots on medium to large game (500 - 1000 yds)

I think the consensus these days is 160 gr and heavier, with a 24"-28" barrel. If I were to build a 7RM rifle I'd look hard at the Hornady ELDX and ELDM 162-180 gr offerings, the Nosler 160 Accubond and 168 or 175 Accubond Long Range (some say they are not so great on game), and of course the Berger hunting bullets in the 170 neighborhood.

Any bullet with about 0.550 BC (160 gr class) and 3000 fps, or ~0.650 BC (175 gr class) at 2900 fps, will reach way the heck out there and have plenty of power for anything up to elk at 700 yds.

Based on Berger's stability calculator, if you choose the heavier pills, a 1:8 twist would probably be best. That'll keep the heavy guys above 1.5 and the lighter bullets won't be above about 2.5.

Tight groups off a bench is really my top priority. I will be hunting deer,elk,maybe brown bear and sheep.Really an all around North American game rifle.

What are the tightest groups out of a 7mag at 1 or 2 and 3 hundred yards?
Don't take this the wrong way, but how new are you to firearms?

Unlike that 1 time that your woman forgets to take her pill... With guns, there is no such thing as 1 magic load... At least not one that works well in all guns. Also, there is not any 1 barrel that is more accurate than another based simply on brand...

You cannot buy accuracy. You can spend $30,000 on a rifle, but if you can't shoot, you'll still never be able to hit anything, and you could have saved yourself about $29,000...

It all depends on rifle, shooter and ammo.
A 1-9 at 3000 fps with a 180 Berger gets you right at the 1.5. I dont believe in over spinning bullets no more than necessary it stresses the jacket of the bullet. Berger has backed off there twist recommendations.

He just had a post here (where this post is sitting), and it said he had 15 posts, then it was magically gone, and says he has 14 posts... Troll? Sever hack? What's going on...???

What about length?What would be the shortest without extreme loss of velocity and longest till velocity drops?

I am fairly experienced with firearms.But new in away?(changed from areply to a quote.
He just had a post here (where this post is sitting), and it said he had 15 posts, then it was magically gone, and says he has 14 posts... Troll? Sever hack? What's going on...???

..Also, there is not any 1 barrel that is more accurate than another based simply on brand...

You cannot buy accuracy...

I'd disagree a little here. Generally speaking, you're more likely to get an accurate rifle when you spend more on quality components. It's an odds game of course, and some expensive guns won't shoot, and some cheap ones will. Odds are just better that you'll get a shooter, the more you spend (to a point of course).

If you don't learn to shoot well though, you'll likely never know if you got a good rifle or not...
What about length?What would be the shortest without extreme loss of velocity and longest till velocity drops?

The rule of thumb is about 25 fps per inch of length. That holds pretty well till you get extreme on either end, but for "normal" lengths from ~22" to ~28" this should be a pretty good guess. For a 7RM, I wouldn't go below 24" and above 26" gets unwieldy if you put a brake on it.

Find a qualified gunsmith Tell him what you want and expect out of the rifle have him help you pick your components....It is up to you what bullet you would like to use... Have the smith tell you what twist to use and what throat he will ream for your intended bullet use and what you expect the rifle to do .... Most of the good barrel manufactures and a good gunsmith can produce a rifle that will make most people smile..Things you need to know before as stated in the posts above... What bullet do you intend to use .What are your expectation as far as weight,Which stocks fit you and you like... How long of barrel. These are all person things... That vary from person to person.. Your question has way to many variables for anyone to answer... What you like and can live with is not what maybe I would...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.