What Is The Best or Favorite Sound To Use?

CaptnC

I've tried for years to call coyotes with the old Berman Brothers cassette call...I think in all the years I've called in three one day bowhunting, but never called another one in. It worked great though on Foxes.

I've scanned a few threads that I thought might lead me in the right direction, but they are all about the caller itself.

Any way I upgraded to a electronic call and needed to know what "sounds" you guys like to use especially now. I plan to call some in the afternoon and just call turkeys in the morning...unless one just wants to commit suicide!

So...the sounds and why...the "why" might be the best tip I might get out of this thread!

Thanks guys!

I have an electric call and I like the ability to change the call to se what produces best. I have good success with any Rabbit in distress call (I have about 10 of them) I also like the baby pig and the pup coyote and Jack rabbit. I have also used the wood pecker distress with mixed results.

I have found that using the distressed rabbit will call almost every predator in so be ready for anything when using this call.

Also when calling in coyotes in open country, start with more volume and after a few calls back off on the volume and make the coyote look for it.

J E CUSTOM

I'm certainly no expert on calling coyotes but I can tell you that calling them in any area where there are others using any type of call from a pocket squeaker to a mouth call to a high dollar electronic call can be an exercise in frustration.

Coyotes learn at an incredible rate and become call shy very quickly when they've busted a hunter or two.

If you're hunting a brushy or heavily forested area where they can get downwind of you before breaking cover you may almost NEVER see one. They'll sneak in downwind get your scent and sneak back away and you'll never know you just educated another coyote.

Having said all that I recommend howling to locate them and if they don't seem like they're coming to you try going to them. I like the challenge bark when I want to **** them off and have them come in charging which can be an adrenaline rush when it works.

Decoys are reputed to be a deal closer for coyotes or for any animal or bird you might hunt but they're a PITA to haul around and set up and take some of the fun out of run and gun type predator hunting I prefer.

Well, this ranch is 1400 acres that is unhinged on two sides...lightly hunted on one and heavily hunted across a highway. So I doubt they have every heard a call. The property is located in the northern part of central Texas. It is very tough to find a spot where you can have a 100yd shot. The ranch is laid out where the heaviest brush can be approached with the wind in your face.

They are very nomadic and move well off the property at times. At least you hear them a long way off the property.

The cattle were removed two years ago, so it has grown up quite a bit with ground clutter. We seem to have a abundance of cottontail rabbits. The only open area is near the owners house and there are Jackrabbit in that area.

The few I have called up were with a woodpecker but that property was on the gulf coast 15 years ago.

Thanks for the help guys...more tips on the songs you guys use are welcome!

If I was serious about shooting a coyote I would hunt coyotes early morning and late evening. Not in the middle of the day when they are bedded. Save the middle of the day for turkey hunting. When hens go to nest mid day they leave that big gobbler all alone and vulnerable. Sounds depend on the prey in the area and the education of the coyote.

Generally the sounds of whatever coyotes eat in the area will work until they get educated. Coyotes are territorial so howls of other coyotes will sometimes drive them nuts. One area I tried every call with no luck, then I watched a coyote nearly a mile away pouncing on mice under the snow so I tried the field mouse sounds on the caller on my next set.....and it worked !
If you have really thick cover you might consider taking a shotgun along too.

Well, this ranch is 1400 acres that is unhinged on two sides...lightly hunted on one and heavily hunted across a highway. So I doubt they have every heard a call. The property is located in the northern part of central Texas. It is very tough to find a spot where you can have a 100yd shot. The ranch is laid out where the heaviest brush can be approached with the wind in your face.

They are very nomadic and move well off the property at times. At least you hear them a long way off the property.

The cattle were removed two years ago, so it has grown up quite a bit with ground clutter. We seem to have a abundance of cottontail rabbits. The only open area is near the owners house and there are Jackrabbit in that area.

The few I have called up were with a woodpecker but that property was on the gulf coast 15 years ago.

Thanks for the help guys...more tips on the songs you guys use are welcome!

Never underestimate their ears. I can hear a coyote howl well over a mile away. Even a couple miles is easy depending on the day. If I can with my ears. You know for a fact they can with their ears.

Just something to think about. Unless your statement was more of. Nobody calls coyotes when they hunt around the property.

I to have had better luck with a rabbit in distress then anything else. Mouth call that is.

If I was serious about shooting a coyote I would hunt coyotes early morning and late evening. Not in the middle of the day when they are bedded. Save the middle of the day for turkey hunting. When hens go to nest mid day they leave that big gobbler all alone and vulnerable. Sounds depend on the prey in the area and the education of the coyote.

Oh trust me, that is my 2nd favorite time of day to call on, especially in the early season. I guided 2 on 1 turkeys hunts for about 9 years so I have seen literally hundreds of turkeys flopping. Many of those were late morning!

So yes, I plan to call late afternoon.

If I have a south wind I can literally hunt the entire ranch into the wind and keep them from getting my wind. I'm pretty sure I have theIR bedding areas pinned down...if they are there.

Rabbit in distress (mouth call) is my go to, but as others have said, be prepared to change it up, ESPECIALLY if you are returning to a spot.

I picked up a tip in the 'coyote hunting tips' thread about distressing a low fence wire while using the rabbit in distress call. Pretending to be a rabbit caught in a fence has been pretty thrilling for me :D never had a dog come in so fast in my life!​

Haydel Government call the best I have used. The only limit on the volume is your lungs and I have had good success with their deer grunt call. You can put enough volume though it and it won't lock up. Wood duck squealer call will turn them too.

You might look at Predatormasters/forums.... Lots of info there. I use rabbit in distress, both cottontail and jack. Coyote vocals work for a lot of folks as well. I don't use an E-caller unless I'm pretty sure the area hasn't been called for quite a while. A hand call is easier to carry and the sound you make is not just like anyone. Sneak in, set up hidden, watch the wind, and sit still. There's nothing like fooling a coyote!

Generally the sounds of whatever coyotes eat in the area will work until they get educated. Coyotes are territorial so howls of other coyotes will sometimes drive them nuts. One area I tried every call with no luck, then I watched a coyote nearly a mile away pouncing on mice under the snow so I tried the field mouse sounds on the caller on my next set.....and it worked !
If you have really thick cover you might consider taking a shotgun along too.
Kinda the baby woodpecker , injured bluejay in hilly brush n woods areas

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.