What is on my 870?

bwheels

What is wrong with my Rem 870? I took my rifles out to clean them today and noticed this on my Remington 870 once again. I use the same cleaning solution and oil on my 870 as my 30-06, however only the 870 gets this rusty looking covering. This has happened three or four times now - I always clean it after I use it but if I go about 4 months or more without shooting, it gets this covering. cleans right off when I break it down to clean. any ideas?

Attachments

• 2496318f-f32c-4cb4-80c9-344ce1fabd12.png
    2496318f-f32c-4cb4-80c9-344ce1fabd12.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 120
Sounds like you need a dehumidifier or something similar in your gun cabinet. Have you noticed if this is more prone to happen in the warmer summer months with higher humidities versus the colder drier winter months?

870 express? I'm guessing your other guns have a different finish on then. In my experience a cheap matte finish will corrode before anything else. The good old 870 is like a glock, it goes bang regardless. I have 2 870 express models and one wing master. The good old trusty rusty 870 express I've had since I was a teenager has been dropped under water and packed with dirt and still fired and cycled. Good guns, but they do get dirty. Get something to get the humidity out of your safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.