What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

I was and always will be a 270 win fan. However the last few years I bought into the 6.5 Creed hype and have used one on several hogs, deer, mule deer, antelope and elk. I have to say it works as long as you do your job.

Thinking of building another 270 win though as it is my favorite.

My caliber of choice is .308. The .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. I hunt on a multi-species area (antelope, deer, elk, bear, etc .) and some of the dates can be harvested at the same time frame.

The .270 Win is an excellent choice. I have a .270 AI with 30" Lilja barrel 1:8" 3G #6 primarily built to propel the 165/175 Marix VLDs and Berger 170s. Good luck!

.308, specifically 300 Winchester Magnum. Close 2nd, .284, 7mm Remington Magnum.

I have lots of rifles in the safe, but always seem to gravitate to these. These cartridges have yet to let me down.....

A bit of an oddball here. 300 Ham'r. All my shots here in Georgia are 150 yds or less. The Ham'r with 130gr Hot Cors really "hammers" them!

Now that I've finished scoping both my guns equal and got the accubond's shooting great in both, it comes down to weather. 260 is all weather ready even hard rain (syn/stainless with rainguard scope), 7mm-08 is more for good weather. I really can't see any difference in bullet performance between the two, both 20" barrel short actions, that handle and carry good in the thick stuff. Both kill the heavy whitetail with authority.

Just finishing my first long range deer rifle, up here it's for large open bog's and swales or power line right of way's thru heavy wooded areas. It's 12# and varmint barreled with a 4-16 scope, its a 7mm-08 :) My boy's young and strong and carry's a heavy barreled tactical savage I built a while back, he loves his gun and caliber (308) and I can't argue with his string of one shot kills.

Last edited:
I was and always will be a 270 win fan. However the last few years I bought into the 6.5 Creed hype and have used one on several hogs, deer, mule deer, antelope and elk. I have to say it works as long as you do your job.

I like my 3 inch deck guns. I just can't find them after I shoot them

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.