What is better than the Weatherby?

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.

Better and or best???
Incredibly impossible to define-Very subjective.
Add to that 600 yards is mid-range to a lot of people.
I doubt if majority people here would pick the 300 Weatherby (especially in a Weatherby rifle) for 750-1000 yard elk killing.
I may be wrong...Wouldn't be the first time.

These days it's hard for me to pick just one favorite .30 cal. cartridge with so many good ones to choose from.

The .300 Weatherby is certainly a fine cartridge for any longer range hunting and shooting, there is no doubt.

The .300 Norma Mag and the AI version are certainly in there kicking and screaming.

The .300 PRC is another good cartridge.

Then include the:

30 Nosler
.300 RUM
30-378 Weatherby

But probably the most popular and long lasting is the .300 Winchester Magnum. Both the civilian versions and the military derivations.

There are several more but others should post their favorites.

;):)
Weatherby stocks are resting on the barrel no free floated use a begara its bettet

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
I'll just keep it simple and say "better" is relative. Whatever someone chooses and is proficient with is better for them.

Well, I love my 300 weatherby. I have taken bear and deer. Roy weatherby billed it as "take any game on the North American continent" . If i was to ever travel for big game , I would have my mighty Mark V in stainless with me.
I have had mine for 26 years and it has never had the first round of factory ammo.

I have a 300 Wby that's my sons rifle and I have a 300 RUM. Came into the RUM since I'd never had one before and decided to try one out. I love the stinker. It is surprisingly easy to shoot tiny groups and just handles large amounts of powder without an issue. Currently I run 220 Scenars a little over 3000 and 230 Berger's a little under 3000.

We use 200 grain Partitions in my sons 300 Wby at 3075 and it's also a darned good rifle.

Don't take this the wrong way, I have a Wby .340 Mag and think the world of it. However; I have a friend that built a true custom 6.5. He even turned the bore, he told me what the twist was but I don't remember. Anyway his boy was shooting 2" groupings at 1000 yds. That is about as good as you will find of any long range rifle. I've seen the photos and logs, and that was very impressive. I do like the Wby lineup of rifles very much.

Several years ago I designed Weatherby Wildcats as a tribute to my children. I started with the 378 with my oldest son, 340 for my daughter, and 300 for my youngest. Here are the details on all 3.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/the-375-zayne-was-a-success-it's-time-for-the-340-zaylea-ann.207346/#post-1481441

This is just me, but to 600 yards I'd take one of the Big 7's each and every day over the 300Wby.

My reasons, I refused to have a gun over 8.5 pounds (sling, rounds, scope) and I refuse to use a brake.

Added to that the Big 7's will have roughly 10 % less recoil, they'll shoot roughly 10% flatter, they'll penetrate roughly 10% more and they'll drift 10% less.

All in all to me and for my uses I'll go Big 7 each and every time over the big 30's.

Lastly, shooting them from less than perfect field positions will also push me to the Big 7's as well.

I used to shoot a ton load of chucks each summer, only used my big game rifles. My Big 7's were infinately easier for me to stay on my game with. Again, I'm not using heavy guns and I won't use a brake.

Just my way and my thoughts...:)
I'm with you ! The 7 rules . 👍

Yes, a Great long range 30 Cal round. In its Long history, and IMHO, it paved the way for 25 other 30 mags ,that ALSO can drive big 200 /220 Grain Bullets at Hi velocity , for long range. So Without even reading the threads I'm sure you will now hear about the OTHER EXCELLENT rounds like the 30RUM, or the 30 Norma, or the 30 Mashburn, or the 30 Sears and Roebuck Special that all make one shot kills, on Elk, at 900 yards . All True, no doubt!!! Who has a short fat one that is MORE EFFICENT : who has a belt : who doesn't have a belt :ect ect ect . I'm sure some one will say, you cant find Weatherby Ammo when hunting sheep in Outer Mongolia. So you preped. for a year , and left your ammo home when you went on your $30,000.00 sheep hunt???? Summary, Its great old 30 Cal. Magnum , with a long proven history ,that will do everything you need it to do, in a Beautiful, Accurate Hunting Rifle. I'm not selling mine anytime soon.

Weatherby stocks are resting on the barrel no free floated use a begara its bettet

True, they are not free floating except for the #3 contoured barrel. Because people want a light weight rifle the weight is removed from the barrel. To keep the harmonic balance reasonable on the thinner barrels they are not free floating otherwise the barrel vibration would affect accuracy.

Does that mean Weatherby rifles are sub standard. They are NOT. I happen to prefer Browning rifles but the one Weatherby rifle I would buy if available would be the Weatherby Safari.

7mm Weatherby is fantastic, you are right. The 7mm Mashburn is what the 7 Rem Mag should have been. Remington made it a little bit too small. They did not fully utlize the magazine length of the model 700.
I shot a bull 3 times with a 7mm mag with 175 gr game kings all three where in the boiler room and while It didn't knock him down he also didn't take another step the first one hit him you could hear it smack and see his legs lock up the cows that where with him just kind of looked around like what's going on I put two more rounds in the gun then hit him in the spine then he dropped. A friend that lives in Wyoming where we where hunting shot his with a .300 win mag that elk dropped like a sack of dirt. Well that friend is also a gun smith that 7mm is now a .338 win mag only because he didn't have a .30 cal barrel in stock. Now that they have the barrels for a Remington that I can install in my basement i am debating going to the .300 win mag

My Son shoots a .340 Weatherby with a break. It's very accurate is a sure killer and
doesn't kick hard at all. If you won't use a break that's your problem not everyone's.

Zeke

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.