What is better than the Weatherby?

Better is a relative term. Better in what way ? It's also a personal decision based on a number of reasons. Price of brass a factor. Availability is another. Seems like today most shooters looking for a new cartridge are looking forward not backward. The newest 30's aren't the Weatherby's or Win mags. Nosler and PRC are the new kids on the block. The new big kid is the 300 NM and it's improved version is gaining popularity big time. Sherman's magnums are another and one I'll soon be building. If I had to pick one as the better of all, I couldn't. Being so close in performance that it's a matter of personal choice. All things being relatively equal, I chose the 30 Sherman magnum simply because it's not a common cartridge yet. Requires forming brass and specialty loading dies. That's what my reason for it was. I prefer non-common cartridges over standard(on the shelf) cartridges. Brass availability is important and several of the 30 cartridges have many options. Not sure about Weatherby but I'm assuming only Weatherby offers it. Hard to keep up.
Norma also offers .300 Wby and perhaps others.

Kinda figured I was wrong.
You state "it is a personal decision" which magnum .30 cal to choose and you are right. That is why I asked everybody to state his opinion. For me the cost of brass is important. Also the .300 Weatherby round is well understood, having been loaded now for 77 years. The chamber, freebore, seating depth, magazine length - all of those things are now common knowledge so there is no need for the handloader to guess about anything. It already has all been worked out. The only problem with the .300 Weatherby is that it probably kicks too hard to be considered reasonably easy to shoot.

.300 Weatherby is well understood, among the most powerful, and the brass does not cost too much. The rifles have plenty of freebore, a plus for adding velocity.
The freebore, which effectively adds capacity allows the old 300 to run a little faster than it should. It is a superb game cartridge and was once one of my favorites. Although the belt is no longer "Cool" I have never found it to be the issue some professional writers have claimed it to be. The freebore that allows the extra speed can be though. It is harder to tune than some of the larger cartridges and it is difficult to achieve the long range accuracy we strive for in factory guns. I really struggled to keep my old 300 Bee shooting MOA with my best loads. My 300 RUM is 200 FPS faster, and much more accurate at long range. Accuracy is not everything at long range. It is the only thing as long as you have sufficient remaining velocity and energy for the job. My RUM will shoot smaller groups @1000YDS than my old Weatherby would @500. This matters if you want to shoot far. It does not if you want to shoot 500. Inside 1/4 mile my old 300 Weatherby killed like Thor's hammer with 200gr bullets. Just my $.02 and its worth what you paid for it.

The freebore, which effectively adds capacity allows the old 300 to run a little faster than it should. It is a superb game cartridge and was once one of my favorites. Although the belt is no longer "Cool" I have never found it to be the issue some professional writers have claimed it to be. The freebore that allows the extra speed can be though. It is harder to tune than some of the larger cartridges and it is difficult to achieve the long range accuracy we strive for in factory guns. I really struggled to keep my old 300 Bee shooting MOA with my best loads. My 300 RUM is 200 FPS faster, and much more accurate at long range. Accuracy is not everything at long range. It is the only thing as long as you have sufficient remaining velocity and energy for the job. My RUM will shoot smaller groups @1000YDS than my old Weatherby would @500. This matters if you want to shoot far. It does not if you want to shoot 500. Inside 1/4 mile my old 300 Weatherby killed like Thor's hammer with 200gr bullets. Just my $.02 and its worth what you paid for it.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Now that we are on this topic, if anyone is looking for a beautiful 300 Weatherby Mark IV with black synthetic stock, please hit me up. Can make it turn-key with scope, brass, and remaining ammo.

I'm getting out of all the "gas guzzlers", and leaning towards the sexy and efficient short mags. Have absolutely no issues killing elk out to 700yrds, which is my personal limit with any caliber.

You state "it is a personal decision" which magnum .30 cal to choose and you are right. That is why I asked everybody to state his opinion. For me the cost of brass is important. Also the .300 Weatherby round is well understood, having been loaded now for 77 years. The chamber, freebore, seating depth, magazine length - all of those things are now common knowledge so there is no need for the handloader to guess about anything. It already has all been worked out. The only problem with the .300 Weatherby is that it probably kicks too hard to be considered reasonably easy to shoot.
Ya I have a couple Weatherby cartridge rifles. Very long freebore and honestly both shoot very well. Recoil is tremendous being lightweight rifles. Ammo cost is high unless you reload. I've always reloaded as long as I can remember probably 40 years. I never loaded for any Weatherby cartridges. Only bought loaded ammo. Bad decision but I haven't used the rifles much. Both safe queens today as I've built numerous rifles since and use them today. My 7mm has so much freebore that loaded with the 168vlds I don't think I can load into the rifling before the brass doesn't hold enough of the bullet. It's a crazy long freebore. It's doesn't shoot Berger's well at all. Hornady ELDs shoot very well in it tho.

With a proper recoil pad alone, a light 300wby should be just fine to shoot. One thing I find fault with in older rifles, is their use of outdated hard rubber pads.

With a proper recoil pad alone, a light 300wby should be just fine to shoot. One thing I find fault with in older rifles, is their use of outdated hard rubber pads.
Correct. My 300RUM with a brake kicks harder than my wife's unbraked 7MM Weatherby shooting them side by side. I no longer have my old 300 Bee but I'll bet there isn't a nickle's worth of difference between it (unbraked) and my RUM (Braked). The 300 Weatherby is very shootable with a magnum kickeze pad. No brake needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.