What is better than the Weatherby?

1612312577722.png

Norma Magnum Improved wildcat. Requires an action for a 338 lapua. If I were you and wanted a high performance 30 that is a mature cartridge with choices for components the cheapest is a 3.6" 300 win mag. Very similar to the Weatherby. If you want more a RUM.

These days it's hard for me to pick just one favorite .30 cal. cartridge with so many good ones to choose from.

The .300 Weatherby is certainly a fine cartridge for any longer range hunting and shooting, there is no doubt.

The .300 Norma Mag and the AI version are certainly in there kicking and screaming.

The .300 PRC is another good cartridge.

Then include the:

30 Nosler
.300 RUM
30-378 Weatherby

But probably the most popular and long lasting is the .300 Winchester Magnum. Both the civilian versions and the military derivations.

There are several more but others should post their favorites.

;):)
Marveous review. Part of any consideration for a new Cannon should be how much it bucks - and can you handle the recoil and still shoot tight groups?

Norma Magnum Improved wildcat. Requires an action for a 338 lapua. If I were you and wanted a high performance 30 that is a mature cartridge with choices for components the cheapest is a 3.6" 300 win mag. Very similar to the Weatherby. If you want more a RUM.
With the Wyatt magazine box you can even have a 3.8 inch Win Mag.

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
Is better, or as good? The 300 W.M. Cheaper to buy, load for and will Kill anything in North America. Or, most of the World! Have done Elk out at some 800+/- yards! one shot, one dead Elk! But Weatherby is a Very-nice firearm!

I remember when 300 wby cases were thought to be expensive. Now not so compared to the new FAD calibers,and does same results . If Its cheeper to shoot you will have more $$$ to find tags to shoot with it . Ya, WE can go on and on about small grains of sand in a big beach but all in all more ****'s been killed with the old 300's than any of the new FAD Cal's. and I've not heard one trophy complain what cal. it was shot with.
ONE UP FOR 300WBY.

Along with the older three-hundreds comes a lot of knowledge. The freebore requirements, the clearances, magazine lengths, load data - the know how is all there. You don't have to re-invent the wheel. Plus the army of shooters of the older rounds means that brass is plentiful and cheap.

I've always been a fan even though I've had a couple rifles shoot flatter (30-378 and 7mmSTW). I hate hunting with muzzle breaks and the 30-378's extra 200fps was not worth the recoil. My STW shoots flatter, but I think a point is reached where bullet weight and diameter make up for a slight hit in trajectory. My 300wby shoots factory 165 into clover leafs, and weatherby factory ammo has always matched or exceeded published velocitie (I confess I've had a hard time matching velocity and accuracy at the same time with my hand loads). I've loaded for a couple 300 Wins and they are incredibly close velocity wise. Still, for me, the 300wby remains the right combination for me for deer/antelope and as a backup to my 340wby for elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.