What is better than the Weatherby?

I bought a brand new 340 when I was 20 years old,used steady for 27 years.The rifle I shoot once in while if son and I share one on a hunt.Its his death stick now and he's great with it.38 yr old rifle now

Double radius shoulder, No thank you.
Belt, No thank you.

Really the only thing the 300 Weatherby has going for it is nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that.
The Weatherby has a nice, long neck. I am a hand-loader and I appreciate having more neck to seat the bullet into.

Better is a relative term. If we are sticking strictly to 30 cal. I personal prefer the standard 300 Win Mag over the weatherby just because I don't think you gain enough to justify the extra recoil. If I where going to step up I would step up to the 300 Norma Improved or the 338 RUM/Edge. Both are realistically, along with the 30/378 and 338/378 weatherby mags, of which I own a 30/378 Wby mag and a 338 RUM, the only true 1000 yard cartridges (IMHO). There are lesser cartridges that will do the job, like the 28 nosler, but with less energy than I believe is needed on game the size of elk and larger. A second is a long time for an animal to move and only those listed above can do 800 yards and beyond in less than or a little over a second. If I were going up I would go bigger than the 300 wby for this reason. If staying inside 750 yards the 300 win is all the gun you'll need. (JMHO) Considering hard rebarreling my 30/378 to either a 300 Norma Improved, a 338 Lapua AI (my smiths recommendation) or a 375/338 Lapua AI.
38 lapua drops way too much. Almost twice as much, as the 338-378 Weatherby. I guess to each his own. When it comes to the sport of hunting/shooting.

If you buy, or just shoot a Weatherby Accu-mark rifle, with a KDF on it. They [all calipers], will shoot just like a baby. With little recoil. trust me.
I also built a 30 338 on a spring field high # with a brake highly figured walnut kicks like a baby compaired to the Weatherby

There's nothing better than seeing my kids shooting these souped up Weatherby's at their age. Zayne and Zaylea were 14 when they received their rifles. 14 year olds shooting guns that most grown men couldn't handle. Then there's Zandyr. 11 years old shooting a improved 300 Weatherby that holds 112 grains.

If a 14 year old young man can shoot consistent groups at close to a mile with a 378 Weatherby improved, 14 year old young lady can shoot trophy after trophy with a 340 Weatherby improved, and an 11 year old young man can consistently group at 1k with a 300 Weatherby improved, that leaves no reason for anyone to frown away from any Weatherby caliber due to recoil.

I would thank the .30-378 Weatherby or 300 Rum. The 300 Rum brass is easy to find. More available than the .30-378 anyway. you get around 200 FPS more out of the 30-378 than a 300 RUM. They are both supper accurate. I know the 30-378 was developed for the US Army in the 50s. It has plenty of world records at 1,000 yards. The 30-378 has 133 gr H2O vs the 300 Rum's 110 Gr H2O. Me personally I would do the 300 Rum If I was building a 30 Cal. Do to brass availability. I would push that 245gr Berger Bullet with a .807 G1 BC around 3050 FPS. Maybe faster. Good luck

300weatherby is great round,the freebore was used to get more velocity, over others. But hat free bore now helps with the newer hi bc heavies worked out. Had a 300h&h for almost 45years till shot out did everything just fine. It is now a bench 338 ultra.

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
Well, I just had to weigh in.
Firstly I kind of agree with the post that the big &'s can do the job better in some regards. Isnt that always the case? what i love about the 300 wby though is a. Its fun. I love shooting mine. b. Its reliable - it gets the job done. c. With the right bullets you can really strecth this round out to quite remarkable distances and it hits hard. d. It really is great fun (did I mention that?).
I do have a weakness for Roy's calibres. The 257 just makes me smile when I take it out of the cabinet.

This is just me, but to 600 yards I'd take one of the Big 7's each and every day over the 300Wby.

My reasons, I refused to have a gun over 8.5 pounds (sling, rounds, scope) and I refuse to use a brake.

Added to that the Big 7's will have roughly 10 % less recoil, they'll shoot roughly 10% flatter, they'll penetrate roughly 10% more and they'll drift 10% less.

All in all to me and for my uses I'll go Big 7 each and every time over the big 30's.

Lastly, shooting them from less than perfect field positions will also push me to the Big 7's as well.

I used to shoot a ton load of chucks each summer, only used my big game rifles. My Big 7's were infinately easier for me to stay on my game with. Again, I'm not using heavy guns and I won't use a brake.

Just my way and my thoughts...:)
I shoot a 300 wby and a 7mm rem mag amongst others. Love them both. I agree with your comments above, the &'s are easier to shoot, but I do great a big smile when my 300Wby booms and that plate reacts like someone has hit it with a bus!

I also built a 30 338 on a spring field high # with a brake highly figured walnut kicks like a baby compaired to the Weatherby
And here we go

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.