What is better than the Weatherby?

Asking what is better than a 300 weatherby? I think the better question would be what is better for a specific application than the 300 Weatherby.
I have always been partial to the 338 calibers over the 30 calibers. especially for moose and some Elk.
If you need down range energy, the 338 has it, also better ballistic coefficient, and more reliable farther down range. one reason the 338-300 win mag in my mind would be an excellent long range Elk gun. then you have the 338 RUM, 338 Lapua, and others. I also like the 375 calibers as well.
everyone I know around me is so hung up on the latest and greatest 6.5, 7MM and 300 super magnums. I never could figure out why. my 338 Lapua or 338 Win Mag are great calibers and do an excellent job. why would I go to a utterly brutal 300 Weath. or a 300 RUM?
I am going to rebarrel my 338 win mag with a 1:8" barrel so I can sling 300 grain slugs and the heavier Barnes slugs out of it. then the Lapua's turn for a 1:8" barrel because the 250's are great, the 3000 grain slugs are even better. I am even thinking of rebarreling my 996 Sako into a 338-300 Win Mag or a 338 RUM, or a 33 Nosler.
what ever the application, you can find something better than the 300 weatherby.

Asking what is better than a 300 weatherby? I think the better question would be what is better for a specific application than the 300 Weatherby.
I have always been partial to the 338 calibers over the 30 calibers. especially for moose and some Elk.
If you need down range energy, the 338 has it, also better ballistic coefficient, and more reliable farther down range. one reason the 338-300 win mag in my mind would be an excellent long range Elk gun. then you have the 338 RUM, 338 Lapua, and others. I also like the 375 calibers as well.
everyone I know around me is so hung up on the latest and greatest 6.5, 7MM and 300 super magnums. I never could figure out why. my 338 Lapua or 338 Win Mag are great calibers and do an excellent job. why would I go to a utterly brutal 300 Weath. or a 300 RUM?
I am going to rebarrel my 338 win mag with a 1:8" barrel so I can sling 300 grain slugs and the heavier Barnes slugs out of it. then the Lapua's turn for a 1:8" barrel because the 250's are great, the 3000 grain slugs are even better. I am even thinking of rebarreling my 996 Sako into a 338-300 Win Mag or a 338 RUM, or a 33 Nosler.
what ever the application, you can find something better than the 300 weatherby.
What is it that you hunt with those 3000-grain slugs? And how is the recoil with those rascals?

A simple enough question, my simple answer is several calibers and rifles. If I still shot boomers, it would be a 300 RUM.
The 300 Weatherby Magnum was created during WWII, and it is out dated. Roy W. wanted the most powerful 30 caliber in 1944. Today's cartridges, chambering and actions are superior. There are three 300 Wby's in my family, and they are all collecting dust.

Last edited:
The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accu-mark. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
I am on my 2nd 300 Weatherby rifle. Fantastic!!. I have the accu-mark. Unreal how smooth it shoots. Moose, elk, grizzly bear, black bear, deer. Outstanding. I cannot be more happy with it. I did recently purchase a 338-378. Just wanted more of that great power. You know how it is. Men and boys, and the price of their toys.. so to speak. THis new accu-mark is just as impressive. The last moose I shot just folded, like a train hit him.

Everyone to their own liking. I purchased a .300 WBY Mag. because I am 73 years old and wanted a 74 year old cartridge that can do almost as good as the newbies and has been proven. Once more it shoots great and the bullet selection for reloading have been proven. The Weatherby line of rifles now built in Wyoming are great considering the price of specialized custom rifles. This is great for a Canadian Hunter. My two cents worth!

Better is a relative term. If we are sticking strictly to 30 cal. I personal prefer the standard 300 Win Mag over the weatherby just because I don't think you gain enough to justify the extra recoil. If I where going to step up I would step up to the 300 Norma Improved or the 338 RUM/Edge. Both are realistically, along with the 30/378 and 338/378 weatherby mags, of which I own a 30/378 Wby mag and a 338 RUM, the only true 1000 yard cartridges (IMHO). There are lesser cartridges that will do the job, like the 28 nosler, but with less energy than I believe is needed on game the size of elk and larger. A second is a long time for an animal to move and only those listed above can do 800 yards and beyond in less than or a little over a second. If I were going up I would go bigger than the 300 wby for this reason. If staying inside 750 yards the 300 win is all the gun you'll need. (JMHO) Considering hard rebarreling my 30/378 to either a 300 Norma Improved, a 338 Lapua AI (my smiths recommendation) or a 375/338 Lapua AI.

300 weatherby. The queen of 30 cals. 75 years old and still holds it,s own. People say because of the long freebore it is not accurate. Double radius shoulder is a pain. Belt is no good. Hmmmm The 300 prc is the same power as a 300 roy. Basically the same throat but not quite as long. Ream a 300 roy and tighten up the neck clearance and change the angle from 1 to 1 1/2 degree and my friends it will shoot. Double radius shoulder? Feed like greasy sausages. Speed? A 200 grain nosler partition at 3150 with norma 217 powder out of a 27 inch lilja 3 groove ok? Hmmmm? People get caught up and eyes glazed over by the new. The 300 rum is MAXIMUM capacity for a 30. The 30/378 is just plain stupid. Open it to 35 and then you have something. Enough bore to use it. 3400 with a 250. Recoil of the 300? I have been in situations where you do not even hear the gun besides feel recoil. And that was with a 416 weatherby with no brake. I truly feel the 300 roy put together right is the best big 30. And if you load it right. Bullets begin at 180. 200 is way better. One day a friend and me were west of Augusta MT. 55 degrees in November. No migration elk. Across the canyon from camp was a hillside with a lot of rocks. Ranged a rock at 605. Held and smack. I also had along a 338. 250 at 2700. Shot it next and it was like a 45/70 next to the 300. The 300 weatherby is my betsy. 7 mashburn? Nice rifle. A mini 300 weatherby. No 7 is a big 30.

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
Back a quite a few years ago when I was in gun sales I acquired a pre war mod 70 Winchester that was recambered by Weatherby in SouthGate California a real shooter rhey lenghtened themag box put their recoil pad on it and stamped it 300 wby mag the reason I dont hunt with it any more because it draws blood at both ends I shoot mainly 6.5 Prc call me a wimp if you want

The .300 Weatherby is a tried and true long range round, fantastic for elk. Deadly for sure out to 600 yards. Superb with the Nosler 210 grain Accubond. What, if anything, is better? Gentlemen, state and explain your opinions, please.
just because it's EXPENSIVE doesn't make it the Best gun in the world. if you want a Straight shooter look at the SAVAGE, for about 1/4 the price, all the fancy gadgets add expensive gun doesn't make the shooter a better shot. learn to SHOOT before you start buying more toys.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.