What is a poor man's Night Force?

Thanks Guys,
I am great full to all of you guys for all the advice and info I am going to check out Super Sniper line from SWFA. I am afraid it also so will be out of my price range?? I hate to sale any of my guns but I might have to if I decide on one of the higher end scopes!
I know that I didn't give out much info to you guys, so I will try and make it short as I can, I am 55 years old and got injured on the job in 2002, from that time till Dec.18,2007 I might of missed 3 days of work. That July I had 3 marker boards to hang and the big one was 429lbs, I had a 95lb helper, we got the boards hung and I believe that was the straw that broke my back I worked untill Dec 18,2007 and i fell down and then went to my Doctor with hopes he would give me a big shot to kill the pain, instead he took me off work for good>
I spent all of 2008 in bed, I had quit hunting in the early 90's but still target shot a little, a person can read a lot while spending 365 days in bed! First I thought I could CAS but I found out I couldn't stand up long enough. So I decided to get back in to playing with guns! I have fix and work on guns for my whole adult life I put my first AR toghter in 1984 Parts kit from sarco.
So as I was playing around I ran acrossed the ARWSSM rifles and decided to put one of them toghter.I might get 30 mins a day to work on my guns and then there are days that are 0 and I am in bed. If I can ever get loads developed I have plans on shooting out to 1000 yds.
Thanks
Greg

That's horrible and wish you the best on your recovery .Injuries can change a person's life forever. I speak from experience unfortunately. I just wanted to add that I am a nightforce owner and have to agree that there is no equal but one that I am extremely impressed with is the Vortex Viper line. I know a few guys that have them and the clarity and function is equal if not better then others I've seen that cost way more. I am looking to get one soon for another rifle I own because I'm so impressed. Good luck with everything and let us know which one you go with.

I've compared glass side by side with Sightron SIII, Nightforce NXS, and IOR in comparable models, Sightron at least ties for best glass. They are actually better in low light than NF. Trying to shoot a jackrabbit @ 465 yds last night at dusk, my bro-in-law's NF couldn't pick him up well enough to shoot. My SIII had no trouble. Also done considerable dial testing to 1K. I own 3 SIII's, 2 in 8-32x56, and 1 in 6-24x50, all with LRMOA reticle. Nuff said! And I got all 3 for about what an upper end NF costs.

I own three Nightforces scopes, a compact, Benchrest, and an NXS. Between competitive shooting, hunting, load development, and just practicing , i have over 3000 rounds through them. They are great scopes, no question. But there are other very good scopes I own that will get the job done and I am hard pressed to see a difference in clarity, turret precision, etc. I think what you get for the extra bucks you pay for is somewhat similar to what you get when you buy a Rolex. Thirty years ago I bought a Rolex. I couldnt really afford it, my wife thought I was nuts, and I was guilt ridden. The watch has only been off my wrist to change time zones, or daylight savings. Showers, swimming, dirt, and mud. It still keeps perfect time, and is worth twice what I paid for it. I sometimes wonder how many other watches I would have bought over the last 30 years. I respect that not everyone buys into this philosophy.

To tell u the truth the main reason I use my nightforces is because they are pert near bullet proof. I can fall on one and still not worry if its on. Trust me I have fallen on them alot. If ur just using at the bench u don't really need bullet proof but it doesn't hurt either. Sorry to hear about your accident. Good shooting

Scot E,
I must of went to the wrong place to look at the SWFA scopes, I thought I had looked at them a couple years ago and I thought they were allmost as high priced as the N.F. I was on the SH forums and clicked on the ad for SWFA scopes and WOW.
Did I go to the wrong place?
Thanks
greg

Scot E,
I must of went to the wrong place to look at the SWFA scopes, I thought I had looked at them a couple years ago and I thought they were almost as high priced as the N.F. I was on the SH forums and clicked on the ad for SWFA scopes and WOW.
Did I go to the wrong place?
Thanks
greg

That is the right place. The scopes I mentioned in my first post are their newest and they have better glass, custom mil reticles, and better turrets as far as crispness of clicks. But their older and cheaper models are every bit as tough, durable and turret repeatable. They have an excellent reputation all around.

I am personally not a glass snob. Unlike most it is usually near the bottom of my list in scope requirements. I want durability, turret repeatability, and an a good accurate reticle more than anything else. The entire SS line doesn't disappoint in this regard. The new glass however is on par with much more expensive optics and IMO should be a non-factor to even the glass snobs! It is that good.

I am not a big high magnification guy when it comes to my hunting scopes. Their new 3-9 is really nice. For me it is enough power on the upper end to shoot at any big game animal out to 800-100 yards while still allowing for a very wide field of view on the low end for closer shots or moving shots up close.

Here is a link to their line of scopes. SWFA SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes

HTH,

Scot E.

Scot,
I have to agree with you on some of your hunting idea's. When it comes to hunting rifles and in the field a 3x9 is the type of scope that 80% of the hunting guys use. A good 3x9 is hard to beat for the average Big Game Hunting. Many years ago I went to Norther B.C. moose hunting and I took my Ruger #1B 30-6 with a Jap made Tasco 2x6x 40 wide view, I might of got lucky but that glass never fogged, never lost point of Impact, I don't think I could of bought a better scope than it, I killed my 56" Moose at 375 yards, One shot Kill. I have allways thought that you have to scope your rifle for what type of Hunting or shooting you are going to do. My goal for this Old Broken Down has been, is to be shooting 1000 Yards with my 243WSSM, I also believe that a man's rifle is only as good as the glass that you put on it! I don't know if they ever made a 10x40x50 Tasco, for some reason I have that in my head, if I could buy a New Japan made 10x40x50 with Target Turrets I would buy it in a heart beat. Thanks
Greg

Scot,
I have to agree with you on some of your hunting idea's. When it comes to hunting rifles and in the field a 3x9 is the type of scope that 80% of the hunting guys use. A good 3x9 is hard to beat for the average Big Game Hunting. Many years ago I went to Norther B.C. moose hunting and I took my Ruger #1B 30-6 with a Jap made Tasco 2x6x 40 wide view, I might of got lucky but that glass never fogged, never lost point of Impact, I don't think I could of bought a better scope than it, I killed my 56" Moose at 375 yards, One shot Kill. I have allways thought that you have to scope your rifle for what type of Hunting or shooting you are going to do. My goal for this Old Broken Down has been, is to be shooting 1000 Yards with my 243WSSM, I also believe that a man's rifle is only as good as the glass that you put on it! I don't know if they ever made a 10x40x50 Tasco, for some reason I have that in my head, if I could buy a New Japan made 10x40x50 with Target Turrets I would buy it in a heart beat. Thanks
Greg

Not sure how old your Tasco is but the older Tascos were very well made. I am talking those from the 80- and early 90's. I still have an old late 80's 3-9 that has been used and abused and has never let me down. Never lost POI, never fogged, good turret repeatability, and just plain reliable. I wouldn't hesitate taking it on any hunt.

Hi Guys,
I ran acrossed this : Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 AO Mil Dot for $135.00 it is new.
So what do you all think of it?
Greg

Thanks Loner!
I think I am going to keep looking for a Tasco 10x40x50 mil dot made in Japan. I went back a couple years on the Hide and learned that the Glass in that Jap made scope was top notch. I have never owned a china made Tasco and I never will but I have owned several of the big varible Jap made Tasco's with real good luck!
Later
greg

I've compared glass side by side with Sightron SIII, Nightforce NXS, and IOR in comparable models, Sightron at least ties for best glass. They are actually better in low light than NF. Trying to shoot a jackrabbit @ 465 yds last night at dusk, my bro-in-law's NF couldn't pick him up well enough to shoot. My SIII had no trouble. Also done considerable dial testing to 1K. I own 3 SIII's, 2 in 8-32x56, and 1 in 6-24x50, all with LRMOA reticle. Nuff said! And I got all 3 for about what an upper end NF costs.

+1

I got the 6-24x50 with LRMOA2 retical. It's everything I could need for long range shooting at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.