What is a high velocity bullet?

My general thought process is that when a cartridge can get a bullet with a sectional density over .300 to a velocity over 3000 fps, it's a high velocity cartridge.

When you have a bullet that will consistently perform ,as intended by the manufacturer, at impact velocities over 3000, it's a high velocity bullet. I may not agree with how the bullet performs at that 3000 fps impact velocity, but if it behaves the way it was intended to, my opinion is meaningless.

Most of the monometal bullets perform well at what I consider high velocity. I've also been really impressed with how well Swift A-frames perform at what I consider high velocity. Lots of bullets perform how the manufacturer intends them to at what I consider high velocity, but don't perform how I like a bullet to perform. They're still "high velocity" bullets by my definition, just not ones I would use.

Very fast, hmm?
If it goes faster than this elderly, arthritic, spine with compressed disks and spurs, with shot lungs can run, it is really really fast, which included high velocity, and I don't want to compete with it.

I like my bullets to be capable of repeatedly hitting my point of aim, always shooting within my limitations.
I like the bullets I shoot to hit and kill the animal before it can hear the report.
I do not like my bullets to disintegrate during their voyage. That would be "hyperbolic" speed. Description borrowed from a sci-fi comedy.

Enjoying the answers, thank you for the question.

I saw a thread where a poster used the statement "high-velocity bullet X" without explanation. So rather than hijack the thread and make it controversial unnecessarily, I figure I would start a separate thread with informational and civil dialogue with the LRH community; we all know the rules. I think I know what the poster means, but we have a lot of new members new to reloading and LRH/S that can benefit from it. What does a high-velocity bullet mean? We all know that solids can be driven to higher/faster velocities than the cup and core bullets. Current solid bullet designs require higher minimum impact velocities than a cup and core bullets.

I pretty much laid out my definition of a high-velocity bullet, but I am more interested in your take on the subject matter. Cheers!

@Petey308
A high velocity bullet would not be all lead or overly heavy for the caliber and not hollow.

I saw a thread where a poster used the statement "high-velocity bullet X" without explanation. So rather than hijack the thread and make it controversial unnecessarily, I figure I would start a separate thread with informational and civil dialogue with the LRH community; we all know the rules. I think I know what the poster means, but we have a lot of new members new to reloading and LRH/S that can benefit from it. What does a high-velocity bullet mean? We all know that solids can be driven to higher/faster velocities than the cup and core bullets. Current solid bullet designs require higher minimum impact velocities than a cup and core bullets.

I pretty much laid out my definition of a high-velocity bullet, but I am more interested in your take on the subject matter. Cheers!

@Petey308
IMO, high velocity is a phrase used by cartridge or shotshell manufacturers to entice sales. Kind of like "flaky" or "high rise" biscuits, for example.
Just a sales pitch, may or may not be higher velocity, flakier, or rise any higher than previous ones.

IMHO.... I consider a "high velocity bullet" if it is a modern design based on the "G-7" ballistic coefficient..... such as, Berger OTM, Cutting Edge MTAC, etc.

L😇L! We just use good ole .22LRs (rifles and pistols) for the gophers. I have used my air rifle too. We use ARs for coyotes, badgers, and porcupines.
Since you use 22 LR for gophers I would seriously like to hear/see what you use and what ammo. Might be worthy of it's own thread. Can't wait to try Bergara BMR on squirrels!

As far as I know the traditional use is a bullet that at a certain speed will impact at a greater velocity that flesh can yield resulting in massive wounds due to cavitation. It is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700 FPS. It could be less I just don't remember. Since the internet and the popularity of certain quack experts that really know nothing like Fackler the fake. all scientific terminology and general information seems to have been lost. Hence 6 pages of ignorance.

@Petey308
You do this on purpose correct????

My general thought process is that when a cartridge can get a bullet with a sectional density over .300 to a velocity over 3000 fps, it's a high velocity cartridge.

When you have a bullet that will consistently perform ,as intended by the manufacturer, at impact velocities over 3000, it's a high velocity bullet. I may not agree with how the bullet performs at that 3000 fps impact velocity, but if it behaves the way it was intended to, my opinion is meaningless.

Most of the monometal bullets perform well at what I consider high velocity. I've also been really impressed with how well Swift A-frames perform at what I consider high velocity. Lots of bullets perform how the manufacturer intends them to at what I consider high velocity, but don't perform how I like a bullet to perform. They're still "high velocity" bullets by my definition, just not ones I would use.
Nice!