What is a high velocity bullet?

Sounds like a relative statement.
It is a relative statement. It was originally used to denote the new (at the time) smokeless powder rifle rounds like the 30WCF(30-30), .303 British, and 30-40 Kraig (30 US) and the 8mm Lebel. Since the average working velocity of most military and heavy hunting cartridges of the time was around 1,300fps to (maybe) 1500fps, an effective hunting and military round with a gain of nearly twice that velocity (7mm Mauser for example) was labeled as a high velocity or high-powered round. With the introduction of the 30-30 and the adoption of other 'high velocity' rounds by the militarys of the day, the term stuck.

You are correct; it is freaking hot here, 48F yesterday and 55F today. I appreciate your concern, but I am relaxed and getting plenty of sleep (3-4 hours a night all my life) and exercise. Yes Sir, I always pray not only for patience. The gophers have been keeping my buddy and me busy.
Feenix, If you and your buddy need a rest I have lots of P-Dog rifles I built doing nothing, and I have lots of ammo loaded!! I don't know about High Velocity but accurate!! Just saying!! Call me.......

I saw a thread where a poster used the statement "high-velocity bullet X" without explanation. So rather than hijack the thread and make it controversial unnecessarily, I figure I would start a separate thread with informational and civil dialogue with the LRH community; we all know the rules. I think I know what the poster means, but we have a lot of new members new to reloading and LRH/S that can benefit from it. What does a high-velocity bullet mean? We all know that solids can be driven to higher/faster velocities than the cup and core bullets. Current solid bullet designs require higher minimum impact velocities than a cup and core bullets.

I pretty much laid out my definition of a high-velocity bullet, but I am more interested in your take on the subject matter. Cheers!

@Petey308
at ...first when I read the title I was thinking was related to rimfire ammunition the only one I know that are described as standard low or high velocity.... not other came up in my mind lol

Feenix, If you and your buddy need a rest I have lots of P-Dog rifles I built doing nothing, and I have lots of ammo loaded!! I don't know about High Velocity but accurate!! Just saying!! Call me.......
L😇L! We just use good ole .22LRs (rifles and pistols) for the gophers. I have used my air rifle too. We use ARs for coyotes, badgers, and porcupines.

I saw a thread where a poster used the statement "high-velocity bullet X" without explanation. So rather than hijack the thread and make it controversial unnecessarily, I figure I would start a separate thread with informational and civil dialogue with the LRH community; we all know the rules. I think I know what the poster means, but we have a lot of new members new to reloading and LRH/S that can benefit from it. What does a high-velocity bullet mean? We all know that solids can be driven to higher/faster velocities than the cup and core bullets. Current solid bullet designs require higher minimum impact velocities than a cup and core bullets.

I pretty much laid out my definition of a high-velocity bullet, but I am more interested in your take on the subject matter. Cheers!

@Petey308
I would say any projectile that I wouldn't want to be hit with would be considered high velocity. In my younger days, I had a BB cut out of my finger and a 22 bullet cut out of my calf. I watched a video a few days ago of a watermelon being shot with a golf ball out of an air cannon at 500mph and it looked like it was shot with a 50 cal.

Attachments

• 856EA30D-4D56-486B-B44A-39A02D962763.png
    856EA30D-4D56-486B-B44A-39A02D962763.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 7A694BC7-9E30-4DBB-B22A-98BF04B2C7F3.png
    7A694BC7-9E30-4DBB-B22A-98BF04B2C7F3.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 30
  • D84A85E3-C75C-4788-BE4D-E8099475DC27.png
    D84A85E3-C75C-4788-BE4D-E8099475DC27.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 37
The only way to define the term high velocity, IMHO,is relative. A 22 lr is high velocity compared to a 22 short, but not compared to a .22 hornet. The .223 is high velocity compared to a .223. A 22-250 is high velocity compared to a .223 . I could go on all day.

@Petey308
Last I saw high velocity begins past the speed of sound 1122.96 fps ?

You need a standard or a benchmark to measure against.

Im thinking its all relative in some sense.

First for a given bullet construction or type.

Then for a given bullet weight

Then for a given barrel length.

Then for perhaps a given caliber.

If you say establish a benchmark for caliber at 24 inch bbl. with the other parameters you can build a table describing really, really, really fast.

For example a 250 gr. bullet of any kind in a 26 inch .338 LM going 3500 fps is pretty darn fast.....

I too think it is more of a marketing ploy.
Back in very early 60's a friend showed me his 32 win special model 94.He had bought 5 boxes of cartridges and only on one box,a box he had recently bought said HIGH POWER on the box and the other older boxes did not have it.The rounds all looked the same.There was no difference in recoil.