What ia the best long range scope you have used ?

My first FFP (First Focal Plane) scope was a Nightforce NXS 5.5x24x50 in NP-1 Reticle. Followed by 3 more after the latitude adjustment rotation amounts were changed in the next models. Then an SHV model and then to the ATACR once they made the crosshairs thinner in 5x25x56. My longest range shooting scope is their ATACR in 7x35x56 which I feel is too much for hunting as I prefer the 3.5x15x56 SHV model. Nightforce is the toughest scope made in my opinion. The only problem I experienced was of my making but the were great about repairing it for me.
Well, since you appear to be located in the small town where Nightforce is located, I'm guessing you have to have that opinion.

Definitely funny. I went to Leupold's website and looked up the Reviews of the VX-3 4.5-14x40mm scope.View attachment 178692 There were 217 Reviews with an average of 4.9 out of 5.0. Plus 100% of the reviewers would recommend this scope.
Companies who own the website can delete bad reviews. I'm not saying Leupold does this, and I have used their scopes for years, from Vari-X II to Mark 4. My wife has a Vx3i on her Rock River Arms Varmint and it is very clear. Just a caution on reviews on private websites.

Well, since you appear to be located in the small town where Nightforce is located, I'm guessing you have to have that opinion.
Not really! When I purchased my first Nightforce I lived almost 500 miles away from here. In addition, you can't purchase anything from their factory here either, other than getting a change made through their service department. I had the elevation turret changed in this particular scope to speed and shorten the amount of turns for elevation as they made this change to all of the next year models. I buy Nightforce scopes because I love a scope that is not going to fail me and at the price of their scopes, nothing can beat them. Absolutely has nothing to do with where I live. I also think Vortex builds a great scope for the money with a superb warranty and service department. If you can still find the older model Vortex Razor spotting scope for under a grand (and I have seen some available) they are a super scope at a bargain. I also have Vortex scopes on a few other rifles. Hope this answers your question about my bias you insinuated. What you thought was the obvious was not but it is obvious to me that you have never owned a Nightforce scope.

Last edited:
Companies who own the website can delete bad reviews. I'm not saying Leupold does this, and I have used their scopes for years, from Vari-X II to Mark 4. My wife has a Vx3i on her Rock River Arms Varmint and it is very clear. Just a caution on reviews on private websites.
They can, but there are not going be that many ballot stuffers. Check for verified purchaser or warranty registered.

It's Really to bad that more People can't look through the Meopta scopes , my eyes appreciate the Schott glass, their really 1/2 the price for Awesome quality. Can't afford the top tier mentioned, but a side by side look through would shock many I'm sure . Cheers!!!

It's Really to bad that more People can't look through the Meopta scopes , my eyes appreciate the Schott glass, their really 1/2 the price for Awesome quality. Can't afford the top tier mentioned, but a side by side look through would shock many I'm sure . Cheers!!!

Thanks for this info, jjmp.

Does anybody use Burris at all or do they keep it a secret when they do? Been using Burris for almost 30 years with only 1 warranty issue which was repaired and returned in 10 days. My favorite is 6.5x20 sf w/MVE1 reticle. Optics planet will have these on sale under 400 dollars occasionally . Working with poor man budget but have been very happy with all of their products.
I use Burris. I bought a Nightforce once, the glass in my Burris was so much clearer that I dumped the Nightforce on Ebay and bought another Burris. I also figure that if I can't see clear enough to take a good head shot as the sun is setting, I will just pack up and try again the next day. I am not going to make an iffy shot and have to track something that I didn't make a clean kill on. But I really have only ever hunted Whitetails with a rifle for the freezer, trophies I usually use a bow.

I use Burris. I bought a Nightforce once, the glass in my Burris was so much clearer that I dumped the Nightforce on Ebay and bought another Burris. I also figure that if I can't see clear enough to take a good head shot as the sun is setting, I will just pack up and try again the next day. I am not going to make an iffy shot and have to track something that I didn't make a clean kill on. But I really have only ever hunted Whitetails with a rifle for the freezer, trophies I usually use a bow.
Currently I have 3 Nightforce NXS, 2 Nightforce ATACR, 1 Nightforce BEAST and 1 Nightforce NX8 and have never had anything but, exceptional clarity through the glass of all of them. Although there is almost an indisguishable difference between the NXS and NX8 with the ATACR and BEAST, most people can't ascertain it. Can you give more detailed information about the glass and the Nightforce model that you are alluding to in your reply?

In my limited money options I've used 3 different scopes. The first being a 2003/2004 model Zeiss conquest 4.5X14. Works flawlessly and is still working today. A vortex viper HSLR 4x16. Have not had any tracking issues but the Zeiss glass is better. And then my cheap scope that hasn't failed and I move it around a lot on different rifles for load development. Its a Redfield Revolution 6X18X50. I never done a box test with it but it has tracked pretty darn well for what it is. I taken it out to 8 or 900 yards dialing up and back to zero and it seems to not skip a beat. So I haven.t had to need to replace it.

Ford Chevy Dodge debate.
I can find 10 people that got over 300,000 miles on a chevy p/u and 10 that wouldn't take a chevy if you gave it to them.
Fact of life is that their good one's and not so good one's in scopes too but look at the warranty of each scope company.
Burris and Leupold have great warranties if needed.
I carried a Nightforce scope on my 300 win mag and and when I asked about the warranty the salesman said we don't know as we never have had to use that!It was a used scope and I could not carry the extra weight.That 300 win mag wears a Leupold VXlll 6.5-20X50 LR scope and have been a happy hunter for 9 years now.
Just my opinion

So subjective and based on personal expectations, biases, and reference points. I haven't tried many, but here's a few I liked:

Kahles K525i
NF ATACR 5-25
Leica PRS 5
-30x56
March CT 2.5-25x52
NF NXS 5.5-22x56
NF NX8 4-32x50

Many more excellent scopes out there. I would love to try ZCO and TT.