What ia the best long range scope you have used ?

VX3 4-14, that was replaced by a Swarovski z3 3-12 which was way brighter and a scope I would highly recommend if someone doesn't mind SFP, and I recently sold that and replaced it with a S&B to get a FFP.
Definitely funny. I went to Leupold's website and looked up the Reviews of the VX-3 4.5-14x40mm scope. AC405789-5422-4757-BE14-89DACBF7BC98.png There were 217 Reviews with an average of 4.9 out of 5.0. Plus 100% of the reviewers would recommend this scope.

Explain to me how a 35mm main tube provides a better/bigger sight picture/field of view over a 1" tube. I'm listening.
The 100% fixed rule of thumb with field of view is that lowering the magnification increases a scope's field of view. Comparing scopes' specs of a 1" to a 30mm tube scope at the same lowest magnification on the scope manufacturer's website, the field of view is usually equal. But you will find that with some scopes, the 30mm has a bigger FOV while some 1" tube scopes can have a bigger FOV. Who knows why?! What about a better sight picture? From Swarovski's website, "With a 30mm tube, the internal lenses can be made slightly larger, which increases optical performance simply because larger lenses always perform better than smaller ones, all else being equal." A 30mm tube can dictate a larger ocular housing being used which then can translate to a wider FOV, and that depends on the internal construction. Hence, the strange variation in FOV. So you are both right. By far the biggest advantage of a bigger tube is the increase in elevation adjustment range, e.g. a scope with a 30mm tube has a 75% greater adjustment range than a 1" tube scope. When I worked in optics, that is what I told customers. For long range shooting over 1,000 yards, a 30, 34, 35 or 40mm tube offers a significant advantage.

That March 50X52 was produced in 2008, IIRC. That's fairly ancient in top tier optics as a lot has changed in the last 12 years. Compared to current March scopes, it's like a current production Sightron or Leupold.
All I can comment on & compare what I was looking through at the time, & yes it was about 10 years ago now.

Minor thread de rail :

SH Deer, what are the calibers and build components of your five rifles? Interesting diversity in your chassis
02085876-E2E3-43DB-AA94-4318E4780BFB.jpeg

Left to right
GAP full build 7rem mag in a AICS chassis NF 5.5-22
Remington 700 with a 6.5 cm SAC take off barrel i picked up cheap. In a Magpul Hunter stock. NF 2.5-20
Not mine. It's a Ruger RPR 6.5 prc NF 5-25
Desert tech covert 6.5 cm NF 4-16
AIAX 6.5 cm NF 4-16

The AI is my favorite bolt gun to shoot. The desert tech is the best for varmint hunting in and out of vehicles/equipment. I really like easily user swappable barrels. If I had more time I would pick up a 22 Creedmoor barrel.

The Magpul 700 sac is the lightest to carry.

The Ruger is a accurate gun great value there

The GAP 7 Rem mag is super accurate. Makes long shots easy. But where I live long shots are uncommon so that one is for sale.

I have been full circle chasing the best HUNTING scopes for me and hoping NF comes out with a 2FP NX8 scope. If not, it will be back to a NXS 5.5X22 with MOART....had one and sold it....bad move.
I like hunting with the 2FP better than the 1FP. I have the NX8 4-32x50 and love the size and weight but use it for punching holes in paper.

The 100% fixed rule of thumb with field of view is that lowering the magnification increases a scope's field of view. Comparing scopes' specs of a 1" to a 30mm tube scope at the same lowest magnification on the scope manufacturer's website, the field of view is usually equal. But you will find that with some scopes, the 30mm has a bigger FOV while some 1" tube scopes can have a bigger FOV. Who knows why?! What about a better sight picture? From Swarovski's website, "With a 30mm tube, the internal lenses can be made slightly larger, which increases optical performance simply because larger lenses always perform better than smaller ones, all else being equal." A 30mm tube can dictate a larger ocular housing being used which then can translate to a wider FOV, and that depends on the internal construction. Hence, the strange variation in FOV. So you are both right. By far the biggest advantage of a bigger tube is the increase in elevation adjustment range, e.g. a scope with a 30mm tube has a 75% greater adjustment range than a 1" tube scope. When I worked in optics, that is what I told customers. For long range shooting over 1,000 yards, a 30, 34, 35 or 40mm tube offers a significant advantage.
FOV is constrained by many things, and of course, magnification is among the most important factors. Another critical factor is ID of the erector tube, because ultimately that is what is being transmitted to the eyepiece.

A 30mm tube usually has about 4mm more play inside compared to a 1inch tube. So, yes, you can have bigger lens OR more adjustment range; not both. I do believe that most riflescope with 30 mm tube have the same size erector lenses as the ones in 1 inch tubes and they thus offer greater adjustment range. Also a 30mm tube is stronger than a 1inch tube with the same wall thickness, simply because its bigger.

Now if the manufacturer decided to forego the extra adjustment range and instead opted for bigger internal lenses, then we would have an extra 4mm to play with. This would provide a wider field of view right at the start because the erector tube would be wider. I have no clue how big the internal lenses are but 4mm would indeed allow more light through since bigger lenses admit more light.

I always look at the adjustment range to see if it's significantly larger in a 30mm tube compared to a 1inch tube. If it is, I now know the erector tube is the same, so same FOV and brightness as the 1inch tube.

When I got my first March, I thought the 34mm tube provided for additional adjustment range or bigger internal lenses compared to a 30mm tube. I was wrong, it was neither one of those. The wall thickness went from 2mm to 4mm and that accounted for the 30mm to 34mm increase.

I believe the 40mm tubes actually have larger internal lenses compared to 30/34/35mm tubes.

Of course, there are other tricks used to increase the adjustment range and the FOV, but that's for another day.

For now, let's just say that in most cases the 30mm tubes do not offer greater FOV and brightness comapre to 1inch tube; they usually use the extra space for greater adjustment range and that makes a lot of sense.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Sightron Siii. I can only shoot out to 800 yards, but have been very happy with my 8-32x56. It seems to track very accurately along with very good glass. Great scopes for the price, better than my PSTII 5-25x.
I like the Sightron Siii, I shot it on a friends .338 Lapua, Barrett 98B. He said that he has had it on that rifle for 3 years and it tracks and is repeatable. He was shooting out to 1000 yards with it hitting water filled milk jugs.

Yeah, I still remember that weekend match in the early 2010's at Camp Swift near Bastrop. This was the Texas State Rifle Association Mid-Range championships. In the 250+ shooters, there were three riflescopes that crapped out that weekend. All Nightforce NXS scopes.

I don't have a Nightforce scope on my Match rifle and I don't shoot Bergers either.

My first FFP (First Focal Plane) scope was a Nightforce NXS 5.5x24x50 in NP-1 Reticle. Followed by 3 more after the latitude adjustment rotation amounts were changed in the next models. Then an SHV model and then to the ATACR once they made the crosshairs thinner in 5x25x56. My longest range shooting scope is their ATACR in 7x35x56 which I feel is too much for hunting as I prefer the 3.5x15x56 SHV model. Nightforce is the toughest scope made in my opinion. The only problem I experienced was of my making but the were great about repairing it for me.