what have you left??

300 ultra

Ive been fishing at the coast a lot lately and realized I left my Eberlestock back pack at the boat dock somewhere. Im figuring at least a $3000 dollar loss. It had knives, swaro 8x30 binos, head lamps, gps, all sorts of stuff in it. I called the sheriff, marina but of course know one turned it in. PHUCK!!! anyone else left something behind? Make me feel better.

I packed out a 6x6 and discovered when home lost an ivory. Went up next spring like 3 miles and found it. Lost nice set of Leo binos, still lost. Lost a SS Smith 629 44 mag, looked for it a bunch in rugged great bear, found it 4 yrs later not bad shape. Looking for my I phone right now had it earlier?

Two large toolboxes. One full of hand tools (carpentry), the other was my drill and router box with literally hundreds of drill and router bits, hole saws, guides, templates, etc.

I had them sitting on top of a load of trash in my truck when I went to the landfill. I carefully took them out and set them aside before dumping the truck and then drove away without them.
I realized it about 30 minutes after leaving, but of course nobody knew or saw anything.

It still makes me sick thinking about it and it happened 17 years ago. I still occasionally go looking for some specialty bit before remembering it's been gone for years. I also mourn the loss of several tools that had been passed down from my father and grandfather.

Went fishing at a AEP (Ohio power) land had to walk in, had two poles one was a ABU Garcia bait caster 150$ on a Fenwick rod 300$ I laid it on the bank walked out without it realized it the next day and of course it was gone. The bad part was it was dads baby he loved that fuggin pole more than me..

lost a gun case once... empty... I'd put the gun in the truck and left the case in the back of the pickup... I guess it wandered off to take a leak and forgot where the truck was....
I've also lost a tow strap and a few good knives.... found an insulated coffee mug once... I've since lost the dang lid...

The fishing pole story brought up a memory. Drove 8.5 hours once to catfish at santee cooper lake. It's a friends camp there about 60 yards from the lake. In the evening we left a lot of poles, 9 if I remember right baited up on the dock with bait clickers and free spool on. We would just walk down and check them about once an hour. We were packing at the camp to leave the next morning. About midnight or so we went to check and they were all gone. We looked everywhere for someone with them, whooping stick in hand. (All were very expensive baitcasters and rods). The next morning we had to leave and come home without the rods. ........9 months later we returned for another fishing trip. Our jaws all dropped when all of the missing rods were leaned up again the well house at the camp. Slightly weathered with the tip broke on one. Best we could figure is some kid stole them and dad tanned their hide and made them take them back after we had already left for home. I have no idea how they sat leaned up against a building for 9 months, in the open , next to the shore.....with the main road driving right past them. Tickled to death to get them back though:)

The last post reminds my of a couple of different times we've lost ice poles to pike while ice fishing.
Once it was particularly slow and I dozed off only to get my only good bite of the day (and a lost rod) while dozing in my truck.
Another time a buddy and I were fishing for both perch and pike at neighboring lakes. We lost a pole pike fishing only to retrieve it the next bite when we pulled the same pike (with hook and the whole shebang) hanging out of his mouth.

I lost/left my wedding ring in a gut pile 2 years ago. Drove 3 miles down the road until I realized it wasn't on my finger. Drove back and sifted through ever inch of bowel and organ until I found it. 2 hours to be exact. I told my dad that I wasn't leaving until I found it.

Leaving things and forgetting stuff is a problem we all face as we age. Don't sweat it too much. There's worse things you could have lost (ie. mind, life, kids, parents). The things lost are all easily replaceable

As a matter of fact this past sunday, I just left my favorite knife at the dam on my farm pond. About an hour away. Ill have to remember to go get it this weekend.

I've got one for you that will make you feel better... this happened to one of my best friends in early 2013.

So My buddy left his keys inside of the center console of his brand new 2012 Chevy Silverado. Why he did this make the story too long and overall not important. His truck was parked in his driveway, and it just so happened that a group of thugs decided to make a run down his street breaking in to all of the cars.

My buddy woke up the next morning, and noticed the window of the car across the street was shattered all over the street. he then looks in his driveway, and his truck... GONE. You can imagine the look on the thief's face when he breaks into the truck and finds the keys right in the console. And it also just so happens that my buddy works in the construction industry, so the back of his truck was filled with just about every tool that he owned (truck had a camper shell). And to top it off, he had all of his hunting gear in the cab of his truck... knives, binoculars, etc etc. And under his seat, he had a 9mm pistol. All of it... GONE.

About 8 months later (after he bought a new truck and replaced everything), the police called and had found his truck, totaled, bullet holes in the tailgate. In a separate phone call, the police informed him they had found his gun... as part of a murder investigation in which the gun was used, and told him he could get his gun back after the trial was over.

Makes losing your backpack seem kind of insignificant in comparison doesn't it. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts