What would you have done under these circumstances

What would you do under these circumstances

• Watch a second beautifully furred black bear walk

Votes: 55 98.2%
  • Drop him right there, haul him off and nobody knows what happened

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
ss7mm,

I knew what you were doing and the caliber of man you are, I'm adding you to my list of people I would hunt with!!! :) ;)

I'm also proud of most answers and I'm thankful for the kind of folks I'm hanging around with!

Eaglet my friend, I'd hunt with you any time also, as long as William didn't show us all up.;);)

I'd probably even bust a cap or two with 'ol Roy also.:cool:

I want to commend all you guys who responded to this thread and have chose to respect private land. I am a property owner in Idaho and my ranch is posted as is all of the private land belonging to my neighbors. I worked my butt off to be able to retire to a place like this. My ranch is very remote bordering the Hells Canyon National Recreational Area and it amazes me that people think that just because they are miles from a good road and the gates aren't locked they can run the roads and shoot. Nothing ****es me off more than some road hunting poacher that tears signs down and takes advantage of unlocked gates. They simply ruin it for all the decent sportsman out there.
Good for you guys. I'm proud to be somewhat associated with this group.

Stupid question???? Brings stupid responses????? My akin ***!!!!

Had similar experience with a herd of cow elk and me with a cow tag. They were were a long easy stalk away on posted property and I even knew who the owner was. But did/do not have permission.

Thus the bear and elk will live another day and I'm not looking over my shoulder all the time.

However I did shot the elk with the Cannon.........30D that is.;) Wooda done the same to that second bear.

YES STUPID,we ALL know what we should do and nobody who would poach it is going to say they would = stupid questiongun)

I don't know if my response will be stupid enough for NONYA but here goes anyway:

In my youth I'm not sure the bear would have been safe. I am certain now however that the second bear would be as safe in front of me as it was in front of you. I did a lot of stupid things when I was younger. Now I try to confine my stupidity to the keyboard. How'd I do?

Festus

True story, and one of the guys is on here.

We were hunting elk on 130,000 acres of private with good elk hunting and a number of hunters spread around near Craig, Colorado. I had already taken a really nice 6x6 and was helping my buddies who had never shot an elk. A good herd of about 150 elk with a 7x8, two 7x7's and several 7x6 and 6x6's in the herd showed up coming out of a canyon. We drove around to get ahead of them. We did and were in perfect position but there was 100 acres of private cut alfalfa field that we could not hunt on out of 130,000 acres. Those elk stood in that field awhile then layed down in it. A couple of the big bulls walked right to the edge a few times but did not cross the line. They watched us and we watched them and they never came out of there. We didn't shoot although we were way out in the middle of nowhere.

Next morning we found another herd and began a long stalk. The bulls got away but one guy had a cow tag and decided to shoot a cow and then follow the herd for the other guy to get a bull. Little did we know that the piece of ground had been recently sold but showed on our map as legal hunting. The game warden was waiting at the truck to tell us the story but the landowner was persistent to press charges. It cost the two guys about $1500 each and loss of their hunting priviledges for awhile. And the one guy never fired a shot. No way they would shoot a cow or anything else on another guys land but they didn't know. We tried to explain what had happenned the day before but it made no difference. He could have easily got a cow on the ranch but he thought he was legal. I felt some leniency should have been made but it wasn't. It left a sour taste in our mouth for sure.

Its the hunters responsability too make **** sure he knows where he can and cant hunt,its nobodys fault but their own and the landowner had every right to press the issue,we would have done the same on our ranch,its not our job to notify every hunter in the area where he is and isnt legal and I would expect the same if I dropped the ball the way they did.To ask this question on a hunting site is rediculous,nobody,regardless of their actual ethics is going to say you should have poached the bear,although it sounds like you considered it?gun)

Checked to see if anyone was in sight,range the shot,ect,ect,just sounded like he considered it,either way its a one side issue,its a non question among everyone I hunt with and NOBODY is going to go online and say they would have poached a game animal if they had been there.

You got to let him walk...

How the hell could you be proud of something like that if you knew it was illegal.

Show your buddies the "illegal" mount and brag about it...

I think not.
I agree with Sendero_Man. If you always do the right thing, you never have to worry about looking over your shoulder.

Nonya,
I think you made your point, or did you have onelight bulb:confused:
I'm almost embarrased to be from the same state as you.:rolleyes:
Why do you continually go from site to site stirring the pot?

Last edited:
I would let him walk.

Unfortunately in the area I live in, he would get drilled 8 out of 10 times I would suspect. We have a big problem with trespassing in my area. I have set hunting whitetails and had 160 class whitetails less then 1/4 mile away feeding for hours on end but they were a couple hundred yards across a property line where I could not hunt.

You sit and watch them and hope you get lucky and a hot doe brings them over that fence. There would really be no chance of getting caught but its simply not the right thing to do or worth the risk.

Every year we hear of 180 class whitetails and 200 class mule deer being poached off the highways and county roads that go through some of the best deer country in the world. Some get caught, most do not but in the end they are all worthless on my opinion and on reason hunting is now turning into a rich mans game because most land owners will not put up with many hunters because of being burned in the past.

Now they just ask for alot of money to gain access to their property or shut it down completely.

Would be a no-go for me......

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.