what has happened with the 300 and 338 ultra mags?

57goldtopman

I have a general question that I cannot seem to find an answer to.

What is going on with the availability of 300RUM and 338 RUM brass?

I used to own a Sendero in 300 RUM. no longer own it. recently decided to get back into the long range shooting. I have about 200 cases of 300 RUM. I was considering getting another Sendero in 300 RUM. after quite a bit of online searching, I could not find ANY available brass for reload. tons of loaded ammo though. also checked in to the 338 RUM. same story.

Decided against both.

I now own a very nice Savage FCP HS in 338 Lapua. I absolutely love that rifle. I have no regrets. my research showed that I could load that 338 Lapua for just a little more than the 300 RUM.

finding a rifle in 300RUM was easy, but components was practically impossible. something going on with Remington regarding brass?

I also considered the 338 Edge. pretty much the same story. and the loading dies for the 338 Edge.....ouch.

People have cut down the 338 Lapua online....but after my research, it is a very viable option. yes the Lapua brass is more pricey....but I am impressed with it. only brass I have EVER loaded that just feels so strong and solid. I am willing to spend a few extra $$ on brass I can plan on reloading 10-12 times vs 4-5 times.

People will say that the 338 Lapua is a "sniper round", "military round". where do they think the 30-06, 308 win, 45-70, 223, 6.5 swede, 303 brit, (and so on) started from?

anyway. I am just rambling on. was more curious about what happened to the Rem Ultra brass.

by the way....I do have 300 RUM brass I will be selling. most are shot 1-2 times. some new. many primed.

The RUMs are very popular and components are very hard to find because of this popularity. People are hording brass for the more popular cartridges and buying more as soon as they find a source for
more.

Ammo makers appear to be cutting back on making brass in lieu of making ammo because of profits.

Sometimes it is just as cheep to buy loaded ammo as it is to buy the brass. (Remington sells there managed recoil ammo for less that $1.70 a round, $34.00 dollars a box when on sale. this can be used to practice and fire forms to your chamber for hunting loads.

This is happening to other great cartridges and until people like Lapua start making more types of cartridges there will be shortages.

I wish Lapua made brass for all of the popular cartridges so the other manufactures would get completive and start making brass again.

J E CUSTOM

The RUMs are very popular and components are very hard to find because of this popularity. People are hording brass for the more popular cartridges and buying more as soon as they find a source for
more.

Ammo makers appear to be cutting back on making brass in lieu of making ammo because of profits.

Sometimes it is just as cheep to buy loaded ammo as it is to buy the brass. (Remington sells there managed recoil ammo for less that $1.70 a round, $34.00 dollars a box when on sale. this can be used to practice and fire forms to your chamber for hunting loads.

This is happening to other great cartridges and until people like Lapua start making more types of cartridges there will be shortages.

I wish Lapua made brass for all of the popular cartridges so the other manufactures would get completive and start making brass again.

J E CUSTOM

If Lapua started making brass for Weatherby, I'd have to try the 338-378 Kubla Kahn out.

Due to panic buying over the last couple of years, most ammo and nearly all reloading components have been stripped off the shelves. From what I understand, Remington is diverting all current brass production to be used in ammunition and will continue to do so until they have caught up with demand. Only then will they allow empty brass back onto the shelves. Every so often, a big batch seems to get released through wholesale dealers - but disappears just as quickly.

There are other brass manufacturers that currently have 300 RUM brass for sale. However, their asking price is near what Lapua gets, but their quality does not seem to be any better than Remington: anywhere from 3-5 loads and you are done.

300 RUM is a great cartridge. The hoarding will eventually subside but until then, we have all been reduced to buying cheap ammo just to get our hands on brass.

I used to think that....brass shortage due to hoarding.....but have been seeing posts about the shortage for quite a few years. the last time I purchased the RUM brass has to be around 2005-ish. brass can pretty much be easily be found for most other cartridges.
I am starting to think they are phasing out the RUM line. 7mmRUM and the 338 RUM are almost impossible to find. my dream rifle was the 338 RUM for a long time...try to find one now.

I will have to start loading up on the 338 Lapua brass.

This is an unprecedented time in this country for ammo/brass....as far as I know. It will work itself out, but we don't know when...try getting 7wsm brass!! The ultra mags from Remington are very popular I don't think they are phasing them out...

To me "hoarding" would be someone who doesn't own a RUM buying and retaining components for sale later at a higher price.

Buying "extra" when available for the RUM shooter is not hoarding. These chamberings are not known for long brass life. I shoot between 400 and 1000 rounds of RUM per year. With a life of 3 to 10 reloads thats 100 cases dusted pretty quick. Am I a hoarder with 300 for me, 300 for my buddy? Not in my book

It's not "hoarding" causing the component availability its the change in the market. Since the push to ban guns by the anti's new gun sales have gone up 100,000,000 firearms. With probably the "normal" percentage of these being RUM, that is enough to completely mess up supply and demand for ammo and components. Manufacturers are going to feed the ammo plants before they feed the components market.

I am thinking the same.

my sense is that Rem believes there are enough people who want the ultra mag ammo out there that they are trying to force purchase of loaded ammo. most loaded ammo is premium to boot.

I have been looking into ordering a new Remington 700 and out of the 24 rifles listed on their website; 8 are still available in .300 RUM, 1 in 7mm RUM, 1 in .338 RUM and 1 in .338 Lapua. That tells me something about how they see the sales of the various ultra mag chamberings, and ultimately future ammo/brass availability. My buddy that is a supervisor at the Remmy ammo plant says he hasn't seen .300 RUM made in a very long time and can't remember seeing brass in over a year. The 7mm and .338 are worse. He did say they will be doing a run of .300 ammo before this fall for the upcoming hunting season but not to hold my breath when it comes to brass. He said he expects it to all go into loaded ammo. What I would like is a new .338 RUM, but the lack of brass and ammo has me reconsidering to a more conventional .300 WinMag.
As mentioned by JE, I did find a couple boxes of the cheap managed recoil ammo for a price that would rival what some guys are selling once fired brass for. The bullets will be pulled and the brass will be put to good use.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts