What grain weight for 300 WSM

One projectiles I've noticed recently is the hornady eld match 195 grain .308". Its built around the standard 300 win mag, but it's interesting for your application too. As the 300 win mag has a short neck and a severe limit on cartridge overall length with standard magazine lengths, this bullet features a longer boat tail than most and a bit shorter ogive. Bc is around .580. Might be helpful if coal is a concern.

I recently was able to purchase the new Federal Edge TLR 200 Gr. .308 bullets. I used the factory load last fall and shot an elk at 570 yds, with outstanding terminal performance. My rifle is a Mod 70 Winchester, with some work done by a gunsmith. I worked up a load with 63.2 gr of RL16 powder, chronograph at 2840 fps. Average 3 shot group @ 100 yds, .346, @ 200 yds, .965. I'm very pleased with these results and plan to shoot at another range, next week, where I can shoot out to 500m. I'll post those results on this thread with pictures.

I read about people shooting target bullets for hunting and it blows me away. Target bullets like the 200-20X are designed for higher velocities and spin rates. To do this they are designed with a thicker jacket so the bullet stays together. They are not designed to expand, rather to just punch holes in paper. Consequently when used for hunting they produce a clean pass through. Small hole in and small hole out.

I've had my best with bullet weights between 180 and 190 gr bullets accubond and 190 long distance. Being a some what stock rifle with trigger work and brake added. It seems the case doesn't work as well for heavier bullets like a reg 300wm which has a much bigger case and will hold more powder. I tried a lot of different bullet combo,s and powders and even the regular nosler partitions were some of the best grouping I got. I don't usually shoot beyond 400yds. Had good luck with 70.2 gr 7828 ssc. This gun was a little finicky as compared to my 300 wm it is a kimber the old 300wm was a browning and it would digest about anything with decent results.

I read about people shooting target bullets for hunting and it blows me away. Target bullets like the 200-20X are designed for higher velocities and spin rates. To do this they are designed with a thicker jacket so the bullet stays together. They are not designed to expand, rather to just punch holes in paper. Consequently when used for hunting they produce a clean pass through. Small hole in and small hole out.
Target bullets typically have much thinner jackets than hunting bullets.

The 200.20x is designed for a 308, I don't know where your getting your information but it's very much incorrect and based on bad thinking not reality or actual use!! Where is this information coming from, it's so bad it has to be a marketing team or something with the literally hundreds of threads on this forum alone on the effectiveness of
bullet like the Berger it should make you laugh in someones face when say they don't work because they are a target bullet!!!

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Somebody please tell these three bulls that they should not be dead because the bullets used was 'Target' bullets.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I recently was able to purchase the new Federal Edge TLR 200 Gr. .308 bullets. I used the factory load last fall and shot an elk at 570 yds, with outstanding terminal performance. My rifle is a Mod 70 Winchester, with some work done by a gunsmith. I worked up a load with 63.2 gr of RL16 powder, chronograph at 2840 fps. Average 3 shot group @ 100 yds, .346, @ 200 yds, .965. I'm very pleased with these results and plan to shoot at another range, next week, where I can shoot out to 500m. I'll post those results on this thread with pictures.
I prefer 180 grain nosler accubond bullets in my 300 wsm with hybrid powder for elk and moose

I would recommend bullets in the 180 class to get the most benefit in velocity and energy from the cartridge. The case volume of the WSMs limits the velocity and velocity potential of the heaviest Bullets even though they may have better ballistics that may come into play at extreme distances that May never be used.
Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

I would agree with this across the WSM line... they are more suited towards everything but the heavier bullets. I settled on a 175gn Berger VLD hunting which was extremely accurate and performed perfectly on my elk last season.

A second vote for the Berger 190 HVLD! My 300WSM loves them and they have never failed to create bang-flop results on whitetail. I'm not at home right now but I believe H4350 is the powder used for that bullet.
I was shocked the first time I loaded them for a Sako A7 Tecomate that belongs to my grown son. Every group I built shot sum-MOA with best group shooting in the 2s. He shot a Coues buck with that off the shelf rifle and that bullet at let's just say an extended range that year that I didn't think a rifle with zero work on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.