What do you use to clean your brass?

Bigeclipse

Looking for what you use for cleaning your brass? I have a Cabelas brass tumbler (using walnut shell media and such) and an ultra-sonic. I have used the old water/vinegar/dish soap method after tumbling but brass does not always get shiny and nice. Just looking to see what you all use to clean your brass. Priority is of course functionality over looks. Thanks!

I like the stainless steel wet tumbler. Does a great job in a few hours. Only downside is having to dry them but they dry fast in the hot Nevada sun

I like the stainless steel wet tumbler. Does a great job in a few hours. Only downside is having to dry them but they dry fast in the hot Nevada sun
yeah ive been eye balling a steel media tumbler but unfortunately my money will be going towards Christmas.

What case cleaner can anyone recommend in my ultra sonic?

Only difference here is the hot Arizona sun. I've been using the air compressor lately, it seems to help with discoloration and saves time. I have the Frankfort Arsenal, but the Lyman is $30-40 less and has just one lid. The seal on the lids do leak unless tightened well, one less lid is one less leak. Perhaps a nice Christmas present for you.

I have the frankfort arsenal SS kit and it works great. I have no problems getting brass bright and shiny as long as its tumbled long enough.

I use a sonic cleaner and Hornady's One Shot Cleaning solution. Easy and convenient.
I use a Lee case trimmer and a drill, so for that nice shiny look, while the brass is still spinning on the drill, I polish it with 0000 steel wool, after trimming.

so i use walnut shell media for really dirty brass and corncob for clean brass. im a big you can get yourbrass too clean guy. ive seen benchrest guys give their brass just a quick tumble and load and shoot tny groups

Sams Club heavy duty degreaser/water mixture and compressed air. Discovered by accident, and after I used the air to blow them out after a hot water rinse, the inside where shiny?! This stuff removes carbon easily! Always looking for a faster, more efficient way to case prep.

Attachments

• samscleaner.jpeg
    samscleaner.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 153
man, I made a stainless tumbler out of a 5 gallon water bottle, couple pieces of aluminum angle, (as the agitator), a air conditioner motor, couple pieces of round tubing and 4 pillow bearings, (I think).... cleans like 500 pieces of .223 in no time!... shoot me a pm if you want to see it. most expensive thing was 5 pounds of stainless steel pins. oh, and I use a media separator filled with water to "extract" all the pins.

I use a tumbler with walnut shell media. I get it at the pet store because it's cheaper there, look in the lizard section for it.

The stainless media gets the brass looking a lot nicer but I'm not convinced that it does anything functionally better than the tumbler. I don't care how it looks so long as it's clean.

Sams Club heavy duty degreaser/water mixture and compressed air. Discovered by accident, and after I used the air to blow them out after a hot water rinse, the inside where shiny?! This stuff removes carbon easily! Always looking for a faster, more efficient way to case prep.

This sounds interesting! Can you expand on your method a bit and give us your recipe? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.