What do you think they should get?

You can't rehab lead poisoning. It's permanent.
It depends how bad it is, or how far along they are. That's how they've saved some condors, they take them in for their routine checkups and find lead in them, they treat them and usually at that point they can save the birds.

I've done some research on it, I'm no expert. California Condors don't only range in California, so the fact that California has banned lead hunting ammunition is moot, since the other states where they range haven't gone that route. I know in AZ the G&F educates and asks that hunters hunting the Kaibab not use lead, or clean up/burry their gut piles.

No It's not a joke. It's required in AZ to burry the gut piles. Also to pick up your shotgun shells.
By the way, I was speaking about diplomatic immunity. Only the members of a countries diplomatic mission have diplomatic immunity. I find it hard to fathom the guys in the original post had anything to do with that!

Burying the guts and policing up your shells and trash are just plain good manners and proper property stewardship. Goes beyond the law. Just makes good sense. 👍

Last edited:
I can't imagine it tasting very good.
I'm in this boat. I don't know of anyone who eats crow (wait a minute, I may have a time or two…), raven buzzard, falcon, etc. And an Eagle certainly eats carrion. But if I was starvin…I'd probably give it a go. That said, we have laws for a reason, they broke our laws. Would be cheaper to put them on a flight back to their motherland, than incarceration in a jail or prison for any period of time. Bear in mind I'm not totally thinking clear, just being on my first cup of Honduran coffee.

We gots more eagles now, than at anytime in our lives.

The lead loons might have an agenda or two.

5D90A80E-C3C7-4594-A9BD-88956653050F.jpeg.a6b1c5e92507495f5841148b2acffb1f.jpeg

It depends how bad it is, or how far along they are. That's how they've saved some condors, they take them in for their routine checkups and find lead in them, they treat them and usually at that point they can save the birds.

I've done some research on it, I'm no expert. California Condors don't only range in California, so the fact that California has banned lead hunting ammunition is moot, since the other states where they range haven't gone that route. I know in AZ the G&F educates and asks that hunters hunting the Kaibab not use lead, or clean up/burry their gut piles.
Yeah I'll be on the first flight to count these condors. And then I'll hang out where they get treated for this so called lead poisoning from shot shells. I will see lead shot shell, yes ? If not it's going to be a real waste of my time & resources.
Ok so if lead was the problem. Why does one condor exist ? Because people have been using lead for over 100 years easy. What did the condors get dumber on what piles of meat to eat ? What type of ammo do you suppose come out of them flintlocks ? And at the height of using lead ammo (30-80s) where was the concern for the condor eating lead ammo (before the antis BS). We as a society have gotten away from using lead for decades. Whether it was water lines, paint, wheel weights, fishing sinkers, etc, etc. You go ahead & believe everything these gun grabbers tell you without giving it any thought process. I will not. It does not compute. does not compute. Will Rogers. What does compute they are spending billions to clean up their mess with DDT. But it's the hunters lead. I wonder why I am not hearing about these dumps ?

Twenty-two years after that finalization there are still numerous species of fish off LA County coastal waters contaminated with enough DDT and PCBs to merit public health warnings from the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA). Since 2001, there has been a tremendous amount of research demonstrating high DDT levels and toxicological impacts on a wide array of marine mammals and even endangered California Condors. Also, DDT impacts on human health have been found to include a lot more than elevated cancer risk, with researchers even finding increased risks of transgenerational health impacts. Analytical chemists have also learned a great deal more about DDT metabolites, byproducts, and impurities. Because all of these findings are recent, none of this science was used by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and others in the late 1990s in the development of ecological and human health risk assessments performed to assess damages from DDT and PCB discharges.
As a result, Senator Dianne Feinstein led a successful effort to appropriate $5.6M to study Dumpsite 2 and its impacts to human health and marine life. Scripps is leading that effort. Assemblymember Richard Bloom, working with Heal the Bay and others, successfully fought to put in a matching $5.6M in the Governor Newsom-approved budget for the state to better characterize and study the impacts of DDT to marine life and human health in Southern California. Also, Professor Valentine and UCSB held a workshop in May with toxicologists, oceanographers, engineers, and ecologists to discuss the latest DDT research and how it could inform actions by the state and federal government. Just last week, USC and California SeaGrant held an excellent, well-attended workshop to develop research priorities for the DDT contamination at Dumpsite 2, while also addressing the contamination off the Palos Verdes shelf from sewage discharges and the polluted runoff contributions in Dominguez Channel, Consolidated Slip, and San Pedro Bay.

Last edited:
I'm in this boat. I don't know of anyone who eats crow (wait a minute, I may have a time or two…), raven buzzard, falcon, etc. And an Eagle certainly eats carrion. But if I was starvin…I'd probably give it a go. That said, we have laws for a reason, they broke our laws. Would be cheaper to put them on a flight back to their motherland, than incarceration in a jail or prison for any period of time. Bear in mind I'm not totally thinking clear, just being on my first cup of Honduran coffee.
They all keep coming here you gonna have to go pick your own beans for that coffee. lol

DDT use in the '50's and 60's did them in. When exposed, as so many were, their shells were too thin to make it to the hatch - hence no new birds. Post-Ban lots more bird species are flourishing.
You are correct as many had reported back then in articles. But yet they blamed the hunter for shooting bald eagles. As stated from a article I read on DDT I quote,
In addition, long-term buildup of DDT in meat-eating birds like the bald eagle resulted in reproductive complications as well. High concentrations of DDT in these birds caused thinning of their eggshells and breeding failure. As a direct result of eggshell thinning, these eggs were easily broken, causing a significant population decline.

Yeah I'll be on the first flight to count these condors. And then I'll hang out where they get treated for this so called lead poisoning from shot shells. I will see lead shot shell, yes ? If not it's going to be a real waste of my time & resources.
Ok so if lead was the problem. Why does one condor exist ? Because people have been using lead for over 100 years easy. What did the condors get dumber on what piles of meat to eat ? What type of ammo do you suppose come out of them flintlocks ? And at the height of using lead ammo (30-80s) where was the concern for the condor eating lead ammo (before the antis BS). We as a society have gotten away from using lead for decades. Whether it was water lines, paint, wheel weights, fishing sinkers, etc, etc. You go ahead & believe everything these gun grabbers tell you without giving it any thought process. I will not. It does not compute. does not compute. Will Rogers.
I just know what I've heard and read from biologists and the like. I don't go looking for info from anti-hunting people or gun grabbers.

Now, do I shoot lead? Yeah I do. I also have a bunch of Hammers and Barnes that I could shoot, as soon as I find the time to work up loads for those I just might consider using those for hunting. It's a personal choice that I would be making and has nothing to do with anyone lobbying one way or the other.

I'm not suggesting banning all lead hunting ammo or even requiring non-lead. I'm just saying people should know the possible unintended consequences when using it.

And yeah, the California and Arizona G&F departments have been working their butts off for years trying to get condors to survive in the wild. They were almost extinct. Then when they had more of them around they started noticing what was killing them.

Again, I go off of what I read or hear from biologists, not a lobbyist from one side or the other.

Last edited: