What do you guys think is an

He is costing you time at this point and time is money. At this point I would find a way to cost him money until he realized I was serious. I would start by doing a review of his business and work ethics (or lack there of)

Some Gunsmiths give good service...

I recently sent an email to a Gunsmith, a Gunsmith that I have never talked to, and asked him if he would chamber a barrel for me. He replied within a few hours to send it. I boxed it up and put it on the UPS truck on a Tuesday morning. I watched the tracking number and saw he received it two days later on Thursday. Late Friday evening, one day later, I received an email with a return tracking number and an invoice. My parts arrived the following Tuesday.

Too bad we don't have a good guy list of gunsmiths that we can rate and post comments on our experiences like an amazon or google 5 star rating. If it was like that then I think a lot of Smiths would not want to screw someone if their was a way to show who the smith is and what experience everyone is having.

The problem with a "Good Guy" list is that some Smiths and customers just don't get along or communicate very well with each other. and other people will really like the same smith.

I highly recommend that a person visit with the smith several times and get a feel for him and at the same time he will do the same. you and your smith should be friends or at least feel comfortable with each before you start a project together. If he doesn't have time for you, you probably need to move on. At the end of the build you should be friends or at least respect his work and skill.

A smith should never except work from a person that he doesn't agree
with and this is true of the buyer also No good can come from it. personalities are important and the two parties should get along and agree with each other. I personally have turned down work because of unreasonable request and still remained friends because I will explain the reason I wont do some things for safety, and other reasons that could jeopardies quality and accuracy. That way, if they want to select another Smith I'm Fine with that. and if everything turns out fine I'm happy for him If it doesn't then I still try to help him solve his problem
if he ask without any "I Told You So" comments.

The Smith that got me started was "the" most difficult man I ever knew , but the best smith I ever saw and the most anal.
It was his way or the highway. But I respected him and his knowledge
and kept my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open.

Just my thoughts and opinion

J E CUSTOM

I will tell everyone that my rifles done by Jon Beanland, Melvin Forbes, Lee Christiansen, and Jim Borden were all done in the time promised. Some were finished more quickly than promised.

How long did you/they give? Ie; 6 months, 2 years?

And i wont say names. My business is my business. This isnt a vendetta thread...

I understand that it's your buisness, but I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened with this smith. Maybe if someone had posted this guy's name in the past it would have saved you all this trouble, or you could save someone else all these problems. I'm not saying bad-mouth the guy, but post the facts to let others know so they can decide for themselves.

And i wont say names. My business is my business. This isnt a vendetta thread...

JR, I very much respect and admire you for what you said right there. It seems like many are too quick to start slinging mud.

That said, though, if you try to work with him to get it straightened out but he just won't make it right, you'd be doing us all a favor by posting the particulars of this unfortunate incident.

Like others have said, there is no need to bash the guy (maybe there is???) but put the facts out there and let others decide if they want to give the guy any of their hard earned money.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ron

My goal was to find out how long it takes to do a build. I know that lead times for Manners and McMillan are long. Funny, he told me he would never be 2 years on a build. But the squeaky wheel gets the grease, i consider it a lesson learned. Heck I even told him i would never nag, but I didnt anticipate 3 years...

I had a some what bad experience with the guy who put mine together-almost two year wait, after agreeing on 6 months. Finally get it back, it was only a rebarrel job, and I mount it on my new stock. Then I realized he had cut my special order 34" Lilja down to about 31.5, after explaining that Lilja had already cut the muzzle off, and did not need trimming. Got really worked up, and he said he'd make it right by replacing it, go ahead and shoot it till the new barrel showed up. At this point, I have zero trust in the guy, and as a consequence, every little thing that doesn't go right was, in my mind, his fault. I nearly started slamming him publicly, but asked here first, and got some very good advice, to not do that. Turns out, all of the issues I had were related to something that I was doing, or not doing, due to my own ignorance. Really glad I got on this sight, I'd feel pretty stupid ,spouting off without knowing what I was talking about, you know ? Not saying this fits you at all, just my own crap. Never did get my barrel replaced, I quit calling him after about a year, and gave up. LESSON LEARNED. The hard way.
Gregg

How long did you/they give? Ie; 6 months, 2 years?

3 weeks to 9 months. All that matters is that they give you an honest estimate on the front end and do their best to come close to the estimate. Some people build a rifle for a big hunt. Important to communicate that to the smith on the front end.

3 weeks to 9 months. All that matters is that they give you an honest estimate on the front end and do their best to come close to the estimate. Some people build a rifle for a big hunt. Important to communicate that to the smith on the front end.

Yep understood. That was my exact scenario when I first placed the order and said I have these hunts booked, can you meet these dates. They said they could...but didn't, 2 months past my last hunt I still don't have it.

I didn't mean to insinuate anything with my reply, was more so just curious what your timeline was :)

Yep understood. That was my exact scenario when I first placed the order and said I have these hunts booked, can you meet these dates. They said they could...but didn't, 2 months past my last hunt I still don't have it.

I didn't mean to insinuate anything with my reply, was more so just curious what your timeline was :)

That sucks. I considered using a smith that is widely regarded One of if not the top guy out there. He told me 2 years and I respectfully declined his services. Heck of a lot better to know on front end. Once most of us get the disposable income to build a 4K+ rifle, we are too old to know what 2 years may bring.

I was in the same boat. I ordered mine from kirby 3 years 9 months ago. Got it yesterday. He was up front and told me two year wait. I held off on some hunts and booked accordingly. As those dates came and went it was disheartening. He kept some what decent communication. I also said no rush just want a perfect build. He went through many issues over the time of the build. Once my build started his communication was excellent almost within the hour. It ended up working out well Monday I leave for a hunt and it was turn key. Also have me time to change my order more than once.
It was rough having that much money tied up that long. I'm also by no means bad mouthing kirby. I love the rifle and I told him no rush.
Seems to be common practice in smithing to never deliver on time. My bob hart project took a long time past deadline also. Only two that have met said deadline was Shaw rifles for my dads 6.5 I had done and pierce. Pierce has been great exactly what a custom build experiance should be.

That sucks. I considered using a smith that is widely regarded One of if not the top guy out there. He told me 2 years and I respectfully declined his services. Heck of a lot better to know on front end. Once most of us get the disposable income to build a 4K+ rifle, we are too old to know what 2 years may bring.

That is about he truth. Luckly I have been blessed and am still young. But I couldn't help but think what could happen in two years. I am now only using guys that can get it done in under a year start to finish. I got so sic of waitin I had ti 6.5 done with lots of extra work to cut weight and we waited on the stock for a long time and it was still done in 3 months.

I think im screwed. Order date 12-15-2014. Paid in full 6_30-15. Live and learn i guess.

I understand it's not a vendetta thread but it also isn't exactly like you're making up stories about him if he sucks. Granted I understand he still has possession of your property, and you've paid. If he has a serialized receiver of your's a contact with BATFE IOI might be a start. When it comes to the money/payment there's the local LE or more specifically the AG as well as your state AG possibly being of assistance.

I personally would love to know which shops are like this so I can avoid them. I just got a Sharp Shooters Supply trigger but only because I didn't have to deal with their shop. I've only read customer service horror stories about them. Bad business practices should be outed if you ask me. It allows the free market to deal with them appropriately.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.