What do you guys think is an

One year? Two years? Three years? Im thinking 18-24 months is reasonable. It used to be one year.

Acceptable length of time on a custom build?

If you supply the parts 3-6 months. Stock or barrel can take that long. Depends if you get in line when the parts start arriving or once all parts have arrived. I would not wait a year or more unless was some wood stocked artisan build like an Echols rifle or H&H shotgun. There are plenty of top-tier gunsmiths that can build a rifle in less than 6 months.

One year? Two years? Three years? Im thinking 18-24 months is reasonable. It used to be one year.

Actual time to build a custom rifle, 2 to 4 weeks. Actual time if you furnish all the correct parts, the same. actual time is what ever you agree on with the smith.

Any more than 6 months if the smith furnishes everything is to long and only pay for what he does and the parts he orders. never pay everything in advance. (The Smith has no incentive to finish on time).

1 or 2 years is to long or the smith has two many builds going and has not scheduled his work in the order that orders were received.

If the smith is booked for that long and tells you the truth, thank him and find someone with a better delivery time that Is just as good.

J E CUSTOM

I think someone is going to the wrong smith Jerry:D. I have had a lot better service than Years!

I waited for 2+ years for one before I started building my own and the fun had gone out of it by the time I got it. Also I had to do some work on it to make it function correctly + it never shot very well until I re barreled it.

Heck, It only takes 9 months to make a kid with a lot more moving parts and cost a lot more money.;)

J E CUSTOM

Actual time to build a custom rifle, 2 to 4 weeks. Actual time if you furnish all the correct parts, the same. actual time is what ever you agree on with the smith.

Any more than 6 months if the smith furnishes everything is to long and only pay for what he does and the parts he orders. never pay everything in advance. (The Smith has no incentive to finish on time).

1 or 2 years is to long or the smith has two many builds going and has not scheduled his work in the order that orders were received.

If the smith is booked for that long and tells you the truth, thank him and find someone with a better delivery time that Is just as good.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you. A very smart post. Im going on 3 years. Confronted him last night. Didnt go well.

I haven't waited longer than 3 months on any of my builds and all of mine I have supplied all the parts. Longest build time from when I started ordering parts till final completion has been 8 months. Most of that is waiting on the stock to get done.

I had to threaten a guy with having BATF give him a call after having a Clint's gun for nearly 2 years and all he wanted was it returned undone! He still wouldn''t answer texts, emails, or anything. Told him if we didn't get confirmation that it had been shipped that week, he would be hearing from ATF. It was shipped immediaely!!

With supplied parts 3 months seems like ample time to get a gun together. Even when I have been waiting for parts nothing has taken more then 6 months to get.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.