What do you guys do in the off season?

Who doesn't get just a little sad when hunting season is over? Springtime for me can be somewhat depressing, perhaps its the colorless and winter torn look of the high-country I love to play in. But spring also is a new beginning of a whole new type of activities, as it begins to warm up and green begins flourish through the hills, there is still much to do. It might be shed hunting or hunting spring varmints, but here is a little project we did on what to do in the off season:

Odd, I did not see hog hunting? A little care needs to be taken to get them on ice quickly but they taste the same, and they are year around.

I also get out on the skeet, trap, and sporting clays. Then again just figured out a pretty good load for the 6.5, very accurate and POA and point of impact same as the Hornady match EDL M's. Can't beat that with a big stick.

Jan - March snow skiing & planning next year's hunt, April - Sept ocean salmon fishing & shooting practice, Oct - Dec annual hunt.

Attachments

• A4409B6D-F91C-4AC8-965B-05F0E13A0155.jpeg
    A4409B6D-F91C-4AC8-965B-05F0E13A0155.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • EC5073CB-6F15-4448-90D4-306DA7F7402E.jpeg
    EC5073CB-6F15-4448-90D4-306DA7F7402E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Who doesn't get just a little sad when hunting season is over? Springtime for me can be somewhat depressing, perhaps its the colorless and winter torn look of the high-country I love to play in. But spring also is a new beginning of a whole new type of activities, as it begins to warm up and green begins flourish through the hills, there is still much to do. It might be shed hunting or hunting spring varmints, but here is a little project we did on what to do in the off season:

In times past, we would set up a table and shoot ground hogs. In some ways that was just as much fun as seer hunting. Also, after deer season would be in the mood to rebarrel or reconfigure an existing rifle. Ordering and waiting was the difficult part so I bought a new lathe and started chambering myself. Lathe work is a year round enjoyment and gives the ability to experiment with different chamberings. This makes shooting and hunting a never ending and enjoyable project.

NM is #1 for crime and #49 for education, and has an idiot for governor. But, we have hunting! Dove in September, elk in October or December, deer in Nov., javelina in Jan., aoudad in Feb., and this year, ibex in March. Turkey in April and May. If you're very lucky (or wealthy), oryx in June, and Big horn and antelope in August. But, I like to backpack, and fish in the summer.

NM is #1 for crime and #49 for education, and has an idiot for governor. But, we have hunting! Dove in September, elk in October or December, deer in Nov., javelina in Jan., aoudad in Feb., and this year, ibex in March. Turkey in April and May. If you're very lucky (or wealthy), oryx in June, and Big horn and antelope in August. But, I like to backpack, and fish in the summer.
I see a pattern hear crime / education.

Was your governed home grown, cause sounds like he went to the top of one of those and bottom of the other.

Now that late season elk is over, ice fishing is over, coyote and wolf calling is over and winter travel ball is over with the G-kids...

I'm onto spring baseball/softball, snow gophers, and spring bear hunting.

Never a down time eh

Coyote hunts, open all year here. During the winter I get a lot of time at the reloading bench getting
loads ready for the year ahead.

Good in theory, except residents are lucky to draw 1 tag a season. Ya a few otc, but they mis manage this state.

Not sad at all... Diving, Saltwater fishing, mountain biking, motorcycle, kayaking, and shooting of course.

Yes TBell, she was home grown. 70 years of same party governance have taken their toll on NM. It is easy to buy tags here if you have the money. Landowner's sell bull elk tags to Outfitters for $5,000. Who knows what the outfitters charge.

Tie flies, fly fish, train my springers, golf, hike, camp, reload, shoot, talk reloading and shooting, spend time with family/ friends and drink beer. With the exception of golf, there is very little difference between in and off season activities.

the off season isnt very long this year as i'm planning to try turkey hunting. but i like to make stuff. doing my first long bow right now. also starting to make knives. i like metal working, so i built my parents a nice metal mailbox post to replace their rotten wood post. i've got 3 young kids, so that takes up most of my time. if there's time leftover, i work at my job.