What do you consider good enough?

So I've been playing with the 147 eld in my 6.5 cm. I'm having a hard time with this bullet getting it to group under .5 moa like my 140 eld-m. I had bought a 500 sleeve so I have a bunch of them to use up. After messing around with different primers, powders, and bullet lengths this is the most consistent load I've got my rifle to shoot this 147. My question is for you guys is do you think these groups are good enough for prs competition and casual long range out to 1500 yards? I strive for perfection so just a hair over .5 moa is hard for me to accept. Think I'll notice the difference between .5 moa and .3 moa? Thoughts? Top group is .010 off the lands and the bottom is .020 off.View attachment 126078 View attachment 126079
I like a rifle to shoot 5/8 or less with factory ammo. 1/2 or less with handloads. Prefer 3/8 or better is spectacular . Im shooting small prairie dogs in Arizona at 400 to 800 yards. They are 3" wide. If your shooting 10-18" steel plates at 1000 thats a chip shot!!!

no offence but this is kinda goofy thread. Your 147gr grouping is fine, that rifle just will not shoot them any better. maybe in a machine rest.

Sorry, I haven't read every post in this goofy thread, shoot your 147's at distance 500yards+ if they hold your .75, then get on with it........:D

I like a rifle to shoot 5/8 or less with factory ammo. 1/2 or less with handloads. Prefer 3/8 or better is spectacular . Im shooting small prairie dogs in Arizona at 400 to 800 yards. They are 3" wide. If your shooting 10-18" steel plates at 1000 thats a chip shot!!!
I think the creedmore is overrated. Nothing a 243 or 243 sckley cant do out to 800-1000. For 1500 yds? You want a 300 win mag.!!!

I think
You can't put a 147gr bullet in a 6mm
Paper and steel is not that hard to kill
I save my 300wm for big game and longer shots
I shoot my custom Creedmore for Fun Savage/Shilen
Try it you will ❤️ Love it

no offence but this is kinda goofy thread. Your 147gr grouping is fine, that rifle just will not shoot them any better. maybe in a machine rest.

Sorry, I haven't read every post in this goofy thread, shoot your 147's at distance 500yards+ if they hold your .75, then get on with it........:D
Goofy for wanting peoples opinion on group sizes for long distance?

I read the entire thread, wow is all I can say at a few of the useless comments. Lol
Another thought, have you thoroughly cleaned your barrel and refouled it with the 147s. Shooting under .5moa consistently is some tricky business, but your load might be good, it might be something else prohibiting the same grouping as your 140s?
Take out to extended range and see how the 147s compare to the 140s and decide then

I read the entire thread, wow is all I can say at a few of the useless comments. Lol
Another thought, have you thoroughly cleaned your barrel and refouled it with the 147s. Shooting under .5moa consistently is some tricky business, but your load might be good, it might be something else prohibiting the same grouping as your 140s?
Take out to extended range and see how the 147s compare to the 140s and decide then
I never thought of that. I guess I already knew the answer to my own question. I just wanted re assurance and bounce ideas of other people. And yes some of these comments are useless. Like these guys saying the creed is over rated. For crying out loud that's not what this thread is about get over the creedmoor people.

I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua, a little smaller case capacity than the cm, but mostly the same ballistically. I own a gun range, so get all the shooting I want, whenever and any distance. I've chronoed (labradar) just over 2000 rounds through it with Berger and Hornady 130 to 147 from 350 to 1760 yds. At 1500, you are entering the transonic region or very close to it at which point .5 moa won't hold up always. Your groups seem to be shot at 100 yards, not 1500, unless the wind all the way out is dead still, a condition I've never shot in. I'd like to say I get good results with the 147 ELD, but I don't. I like the 130 ELD and 140 ELD and shoot them very often. Tried the 147s in the x47 and in a .260 Rem and never used them again. If I could shoot "round" groups at 1000 yards in just moderate winds, I wouldn't worry about bullets. I have some unused 147 ELds you can add to your sale.

If you really want to try to use those bullets up couse you already have them and you really like loading and shooting then give this a shot. It's a lot but it's fun to do and fine tuning a load in YOUR gun is even more rewarding ......http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ocw-instructions/4529817134.
you should ( will ) find a sweet spot in your powder charge with this method..... weather it's good enough for you is another story (I bet it will b ) and you will ABSOLUTELY be able to see the difference between a .100 & a .300 group ......you want to shoot those bullets up rite !?! If it don't work then you got to use them and u go get the ones your gun likes ! this is how factory Ammo shoots fairly well in sooo many rifles .... they find a sweet spot in the powder charge of a accurate powder primer combo and run with it since seating depth tuning is off the table since they have no idea what it will be fired in ... good luck !

To provide an example, refer to Hornady's Standard Ballistic Calculator [https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/standard] and use Hornady's 6.5mm Creedmoor 147 gr. ELD Match as the round of interest.

Ballistic Calculator INPUT VARIABLES

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.301|Velocity (ft/s): 2695|Weight (GR): 147|Maximum Range (yds): 1500|Interval (yds): 25|Drag Function (): G1|Sight Height (inches): 1|Shooting Angle (Deg.): 0|Zero Range (yds): 100|Wind Speed (mph): 0|Wind Angle (Deg.): 90|Altitude (ft): 0|Pressure (hg): 29.53|Temperature (F): 59|Humidity (%): 78

NOTE: Using the above data, the ballistic solution shows the projectile will drop below the preferred supersonic velocity (Supersonic = 1125.33 ft/sec and higher) and into transonic velocities (Transonic = 880 to less than 1125.33 ft/sec) in the range of 800 to 825 yards.

In fact, the projectile will become subsonic (Subsonic = Below 880 ft/sec) as it passes between 1050 and 1075 yards.

The bottom line is that you cannot hope to have tight groups with projectile velocities less than 1125.33 ft/sec. Otherwise, your projectile will not be stable and a tight groups at 1500 yards are simply a matter of luck, thus impossible to have any consistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.