What do you consider good enough?

If you measure and sort by case capacity, not the case weight, you can reduce your groups from .3 to .1 as long as the barrelmis good and the twist is right for the bullet length. The gas pressure is determined by the volume of the cylinder that contains the gas, not the weight of the cylinder itself. Every case has parts with weight that have no bearing what so ever on the pressure. Doubt it, just how much does the rim of the case weigh?

If you sort by capacity you will find different weights of brass with the exact same capacity.

Mark the capacity sorted base of the brass with a ball end carbide cutter x for match, one line another group, then two parallel lines for another group, etc. A motor tool does fine.
Ed

I have a 300 WSM only ever have gotten 1, 5 shot group under 1/4" at 100 yards but have shot many groups under 3" at 1000. My rifle seems to shot the same size groups from 100-300 yards. I think you need to try at 300 + and work from there

So I've been playing with the 147 eld in my 6.5 cm. I'm having a hard time with this bullet getting it to group under .5 moa like my 140 eld-m. I had bought a 500 sleeve so I have a bunch of them to use up. After messing around with different primers, powders, and bullet lengths this is the most consistent load I've got my rifle to shoot this 147. My question is for you guys is do you think these groups are good enough for prs competition and casual long range out to 1500 yards? I strive for perfection so just a hair over .5 moa is hard for me to accept. Think I'll notice the difference between .5 moa and .3 moa? Thoughts? Top group is .010 off the lands and the bottom is .020 off.View attachment 126078 View attachment 126079
If your are shooting that far in comp .. grouping at 100 yards don't really mean much. 300 yards or further should be where you do your load development...hard lesson I've learned..

If 6 inches at 1000 covers the bullseye? Your gun is ready
Are you ready?
Do some load testing at a longer distance like 650 to get the whole picture
I don't think he is hunting Elk at 1500 yards ?

Consider a slower powder, like H4831sc or RL26 for those bigger pills. I have been told anecdotally by some of my range pals that those 147 ELDs have to "jump a mile" you may want to try seating them deeper.

So I've been playing with the 147 eld in my 6.5 cm. I'm having a hard time with this bullet getting it to group under .5 moa like my 140 eld-m. I had bought a 500 sleeve so I have a bunch of them to use up. After messing around with different primers, powders, and bullet lengths this is the most consistent load I've got my rifle to shoot this 147. My question is for you guys is do you think these groups are good enough for prs competition and casual long range out to 1500 yards? I strive for perfection so just a hair over .5 moa is hard for me to accept. Think I'll notice the difference between .5 moa and .3 moa? Thoughts? Top group is .010 off the lands and the bottom is .020 off.View attachment 126078 View attachment 126079
Shoot it at 200yds. And see what it is there

Eld's like to jump from my experience, try them .030 or more believe it or not.

As for shooting 1500 with it. Heck yeah! Why not? I did 1315 in a comp, so what's a bit more? I'm looking to try a mile with mine, for no other reason than to see if I can do it.

I would check it with the Berger stability program. it will probably give you a 7.5T minimun and 7.0T for the best stability on that bullet.
Played around with it while waiting on the kids, an 1:8 twist gives from 1.51-1.61 SG, fully stable.

Ok so the rifle is my semi-custom built on a savage action. Criterion barrel and a hs-precision m24 stock.
20190302_131328.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.