What do you consider good enough?

FWIW - I've been shooting precision rifle comps for about 6 years now and , atleast for me, that would fall into the "good enough" category. Certainly good enough to run a match or 2 with since you only have 350 left. Once you get below 3/4 to 1/2 minute consistency, there are so many other variables at a match from a positional standpoint that make it hard to see the difference between a load that's .4moa and .6moa. The nut behind the bolt will cause most misses. Ultimately I'd switch back to the 140's if I was in your shoes but I would not at all be afraid to run those for a match, provided the sd's aren't horrible.

Again, just my 2 cents.

So I've been playing with the 147 eld in my 6.5 cm. I'm having a hard time with this bullet getting it to group under .5 moa like my 140 eld-m. I had bought a 500 sleeve so I have a bunch of them to use up. After messing around with different primers, powders, and bullet lengths this is the most consistent load I've got my rifle to shoot this 147. My question is for you guys is do you think these groups are good enough for prs competition and casual long range out to 1500 yards? I strive for perfection so just a hair over .5 moa is hard for me to accept. Think I'll notice the difference between .5 moa and .3 moa? Thoughts? Top group is .010 off the lands and the bottom is .020 off.View attachment 126078 View attachment 126079
is your twist rate a FPS enough to stabilize that bullet?

FWIW - I've been shooting precision rifle comps for about 6 years now and , atleast for me, that would fall into the "good enough" category. Certainly good enough to run a match or 2 with since you only have 350 left. Once you get below 3/4 to 1/2 minute consistency, there are so many other variables at a match from a positional standpoint that make it hard to see the difference between a load that's .4moa and .6moa. The nut behind the bolt will cause most misses. Ultimately I'd switch back to the 140's if I was in your shoes but I would not at all be afraid to run those for a match, provided the sd's aren't horrible.

Again, just my 2 cents.
Sd with the Winchester primer was 16. The federal 210m tightened up my group so I'm hoping it did the same to SD. As soon as the snow goes I'll shoot fro groups at 600 and then 1000 to track group size and distance.

I wouldn't worry about chasing the 1/2 moa or better scenario. If your SD is in the 12fps or better bracket you will be fine. Your wind calls are going to have more effect on your impact at 1500 more so than your 7.5" or better deviation from your 100 yards groups.

^this, all day long.

If it were me, I'd stop wasting components and time developing loads, and work on marksmanship fundamentals and wind calling skills; it's a lot more fun, and IMO probably a lot more productive. No matter how good you already are at these, you can always get better. If you have a solid 1/2 MOA setup, your gun/ammo is not the weakest link, or at least that is true for me.

So I've been playing with the 147 eld in my 6.5 cm. I'm having a hard time with this bullet getting it to group under .5 moa like my 140 eld-m. I had bought a 500 sleeve so I have a bunch of them to use up. After messing around with different primers, powders, and bullet lengths this is the most consistent load I've got my rifle to shoot this 147. My question is for you guys is do you think these groups are good enough for prs competition and casual long range out to 1500 yards? I strive for perfection so just a hair over .5 moa is hard for me to accept. Think I'll notice the difference between .5 moa and .3 moa? Thoughts? Top group is .010 off the lands and the bottom is .020 off.View attachment 126078 View attachment 126079
Those aren't bad groups, that's pretty good shooting. I think your going on the heavy side for a cm. Let the gun tell you what to shoot. Go with what it shoots best. I'm actually shoots a 130 grain bullet best. I'd rather use a 140 but it just shoots lights out with a 130. Not bad with a 140 but better with the 130. Don't push your gun, listen to it and it will show you what it likes best.

Did you sort the 147's by weight or bearing length? I tried a couple boxes and found them to need sorting, I see a 3/4gr variance in weight, I dont recall the bearing length difference. I would guess that hornady runs multiple production lines into one box.
That helped pull my groups down. Once you hover in that 1/2moa area all the small brass prep things start to come into play.

Did you sort the 147's by weight or bearing length? I tried a couple boxes and found them to need sorting, I see a 3/4gr variance in weight, I dont recall the bearing length difference. I would guess that hornady runs multiple production lines into one box.
That helped pull my groups down. Once you hover in that 1/2moa area all the small brass prep things start to come into play.
My first lot of eld-m was terrible. But they shot good so I bought a 500 sleeve of the 140s and they were super consistent..1 grain variation and .001 on bearing surface. The 147s are .3 grains variation but I have measured the bearing surface on these

Those aren't bad groups, that's pretty good shooting. I think your going on the heavy side for a cm. Let the gun tell you what to shoot. Go with what it shoots best. I'm actually shoots a 130 grain bullet best. I'd rather use a 140 but it just shoots lights out with a 130. Not bad with a 140 but better with the 130. Don't push your gun, listen to it and it will show you what it likes best.
I've always shot the 140 class bullets. They work so well for me I just see no need to go lighter.

It is very difficult to get better. But to compare it is necessary to take precise measures of the groupings. Thus the grouping measures 0.59 moa or 0.62 " It does not answer your question but it is excellent!

My load for the 147s was 41.8gr of h4350
Fed 210s.
I seated the .050" off the lands
I wouldn't worry about it. .5moa will be fine.
What I've started doing on a known gun with a new bullet is make a ladder in small increments around where I think the node will be. I skip the groups and go straight to 500 yds, shoot a ladder and see what comes out of it. Good luck with it, you'll be fine with the 140 or 147s. There's lots of practicing to be done if you want to switch back to the 140s for the match

My load for the 147s was 41.8gr of h4350
Fed 210s.
I seated the .050" off the lands
I wouldn't worry about it. .5moa will be fine.
What I've started doing on a known gun with a new bullet is make a ladder in small increments around where I think the node will be. I skip the groups and go straight to 500 yds, shoot a ladder and see what comes out of it. Good luck with it, you'll be fine with the 140 or 147s. There's lots of practicing to be done if you want to switch back to the 140s for the match
I think I'll just keep them and burn them up in practice for prs. That's coming right up here shortly!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.