What dies are better for bolt action rifles

what dose the small base dies do or not do that make them good for an AR ? I will be picking up my new custom AR hopefully before Christmas , SO what type dies are best for them the small base ones? and as far as my other dies they are all RCBS fl dies but was thinking of trying the bushing type dies? what is the big differences between them?

thanks again
Will

they just seem to cycle better. With an AR you for sure want to full length size the brass
gary

Originally Posted by boomtube
All factory firearms are reamed with SAMMI standard chamber reamers. All factory dies are reamed with SAAMI standard die reamers. There is no automatic need for a special die to load for bolts, autos, slides, single shots or levers. Some loaders use a neck die but all loaders need a FL die; that's not an "either" thing, but both.

Tricky: "I beg to differ ever so slightly sir! I prefer a small base die in an AR15 (but don't always use one), and my lever guns work better in some cases with one (once again not everytime). In a bolt gun I agree with you."

I won't question what anyone prefers but my response was how both rifles and dies are reamed; there are no special reamers made for bolt, lever or auto guns so all dies should - and usually do - work quite well for all arms. Your admission that you don't always use a SB sizer die for your AR sorta proves my point, doesn't it? And, if there were any special reamers made, auto's chambers would likely be cut a tad large so standard dies would always work well - which they generally do anyway. Dies for the .30-30, .32 Special and .35 Rem cartridges are made to work with the 94/336 lever guns without need for a small base sizer.

Small base/National Match dies for the .223, .308 and 30-06 are about 2 thou tighter at the base than most other dies. That's not much but it's easily enough to make a BIG difference for reliable chambering in auto rifles IF it's needed. Whether or not that's actually needed depends on the individual rifle and die. if it's not needed, it's not needed. A chamber on the 'tight' side of the tolerance combined with a large size die can/may combine to cause some chambering difficulties with standard dies but I suspect that combonation is a LOT less common than conventional wisdom happily suggests.

If you got a good chamber and a good die; it should not matter much at all. BUT; at the range I usually neck size with a Wilson die because it's easy and fast.
gary

Gary,

Agree, easy to do at the range. I often do the same to get the first 3 firings to ensure max case expansion to allow me to set max headspace and get the max dimensions for my case/chamber fit. However, hunting or competetion is another story. Cannot risk a stuck case or hard bolt close in either.

BH

Gary,

Agree, easy to do at the range. I often do the same to get the first 3 firings to ensure max case expansion to allow me to set max headspace and get the max dimensions for my case/chamber fit. However, hunting or competetion is another story. Cannot risk a stuck case or hard bolt close in either.

BH

I do the samething. To be exact, the only rounds I ever seriously neck size for are single shot rifles, and a couple single shot barrels used in a T/C. Even then I usually will full length resize every fourth or fifth firing. I own several single shot Savages, and at least two have had their chambers set back and recut to minimum spec. They still work well with a full length die, but shoot a tad better.
gary

All factory firearms are reamed with SAMMI standard chamber reamers. All factory dies are reamed with SAAMI standard die reamers.
Interesting post.

SAAMI chamber specs have a tolerance range; I really don't believe factory barrels are chambered with reamers ground to the minimum/standard spec. If they were, then all factory chambers for a given cartridge would be the same size. To say nothing of the fact that both chamber and die reamers wear down with use and have to be reground so the chambers in both barrels and dies won't be too small.

There is no SAAMI spec for sizing die dimensions.

I have a Saami minimum .223 barrel on an AR, and unless I want to use the forward assist every time I chamber the first round I have to use a small base die for resizing. It's not a big deal unless I have to pull a forced round back out of the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.