What cartridge for high speed 30 caliber

You know what is crazy to me is it seems that everyone likes the idea of a wildcat based off of the 378 weatherby but they can't stand the brass. Seems like some brass manufacturer would make decent weatherby stuff and guys would be all over it. Get rid of the double radius with a little fire forming and your good to go, or try rcc brass I think that's who swamplord was using to make his head stamped brass( I could be wrong though) and just spec a 30-378 weatherby minus the belt and double radius and just like that you have the next best thing in long range hunting.

What do you guys think would be needed to push the 250 atip at 3000. That close to 900 bc should shoot inside of the 230. I want to use it for 1000 yard comp. I was thinking a long barrel 300 rum might do it. Want to stay with a mag bolt head size. The 230 at 3300 sounds intriguing but I don't have a Lapua bolt face on any of my actions.
Shep

simple when Winchester designed the 300 win magnum to look like the 300 weatherby and to do so they use a short neck in a 66 mm length case. all the gun writers says it cannot be accurate. they were wrong and today the military uses it for a sniper round.. WHY it will shoot just as good as the weatherby . the difference was the length of the barrel. so go waste you money on the wildcats but for best results just use the 300 winchester. I will bet it will shoot better than the shooter.

I would do a 300 Norma Imp to shoot the 250's and deal with the velocity I get weather it's above or below 3000fps. I'd probably do a 32+" barrel. The 300 Hulk held the 1000yd BR record for quite a few years and it's basically a 300 Norma Imp. The barrel life will probably be 1/2 to 2/3 that of a 300wsm but that is the price of performance.

A Norma Imp and a 300RUM are essentially the same performance. The Norma Imp is one of the most accurate cases I've ever shot and that is why I suggested it.

I do have a match 300Rum reamer and a throater. May go that route on next barrel. My wsm barrel is only a 12 twist for 210s. Need alot more twist than that for the 250s.
Shep

Recent Posts