What Caliber for 600yd Whitetail? (New rifle Build)

What Velocity are you getting? I'm just curious...
I've not finished load development yet but am probably going to run the 150 ELDX. I anticipate it'll be around 2900 FPS based on my minimal load development and magneto speed readings so far. I'm out of commission for the next month due to some foot surgery. Hodgdon has some good data for the 7-08 in last years 2022 update magazine. I'm also trying to get my hands on the new StaBall Match to try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
You are absolutely right. "Most" instances, a head or neck shot is drt. But on the rare occasion it fails, it is not a pretty sight or good experience. Until a person has experienced the failures, it seems like a great idea. I still use it, in certain scenarios, when I'm absolutely confident in placement.
If not confident in placement don't take the shot. A neck shot doesn't have to hit the vertebrae. Ever seen a slow motion shot in ballistic gel? The shock wave will disrupt the spinal cord.

Posted on another thread, I believe @hankle has decided unless I misconstrued it.

I'm having my old Rem 700 270win sent in for a make over. The action will be trued and a new barrel will be fitted. I'm about 90% confident that I'm going with a 270ai, 1-8 twist, 26" , light Palma (or similar) contour. This will be a hunting rifle.

I've got a semi custom rem 700 SA in 223 with a 1-7 Bartlein. It is a blast (pun intended)

Loyalty runs in my bones, so originally I was going with a Bartlein, but I decided to consult the Oracle. What do you guys think?

Price, availability, lead time, and performance are all factors. Performance is king though.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/what-barrel-manufacture-for-semi-custom-build.322795/

If not confident in placement don't take the shot. A neck shot doesn't have to hit the vertebrae. Ever seen a slow motion shot in ballistic gel? The shock wave will disrupt the spinal cord.

Ever seen a slow motion shot in ballistic gel? The shock wave will disrupt the spinal cord.

Sometimes! 🫢 And yes, this a Whitetail topic, but I would consider this a fairly high risk shot…..especially on one of the large bodied Whitetails in the northern extremes of their range!

There's a lot of neck that doesn't offer instant incapacitation. A shot through muscle only, can provide with a lot of tracking and extended suffering by the animal. JMO memtb

A neck shot might also send a Vascular Pressure Impulse (VPI) to the brain, causing instant aneurysms, paralysis and death.

A shot through muscle only, can provide with a lot of tracking and extended suffering by the animal.
You're right.

Another reason to shoot 30 caliber projos at ultra high velocities when shooting for neck and head

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
The title asks what caliber for 600 yd whitetail. Why on earth do you need to hunt whitetail from 600 yards? Cant get a bit closer? Elk yes. Whitetail.....???

The title asks what caliber for 600 yd whitetail. Why on earth do you need to hunt whitetail from 600 yards? Cant get a bit closer? Elk yes. Whitetail.....???
I have killed whitetail past 520 yards in wide open,flat fields. Numerous outside of 400.
Some whitetails have adapted to open, almost treeless country in Kansas, Nebraska and the prairies of the West.