What Caliber for 600yd Whitetail? (New rifle Build)

Depends on the hunting you are doing and where ? Game I'll go out to maybe 500 yards but have done a RAM at some 575 ( that was a super shot conditions were perfect ) don't want to have to chase a bad shot animal. Believe in one shot kill's. Target / LR shooting I'll do the 1200-1600 yards but not much more, one need to know his stop point. Here guy's talking about I did this and that- but have they for real, wishfull thinking on their part for sure. Besides I like to see just how close I can get in, just like using a BOW. Good luck out there to the ones looking at how long they can push a shot. I'll stay at my comfort zone.
I like the 6.5 CM , 280 AI , 7MM Rem , 300 WBY , 30-378 Wby , 338 Lapua , 35 Whale for hunting and for paper/ steel 6MMXC now. The others keep them oiled and clean 22 Hornet & 221 Rem great camp guns, along with the 6PPC.

Last edited:
I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
A far better name for this thread would have been 'What cartridge for 600 yard Whitetail?' Few have discussed the merits of one caliber (bore size) versus another as most instead bring up their favorite cartridges for that particular purpose. Caliber is NOT an interchangeable word for Cartridge; they are not the same thing.

Last edited:
If you want to hit the "easy button" just stick with 270win. Know your drop and shoot the neck. If you hit, DRT. If you miss, no wounded animal therefore no harm done.

Sorry, this is something that I am very adamant about……. I absolutely disagree with the assumption that a neck shot or a head shot is a guaranteed "death shot"! Wrong in so many ways! memtb

Last edited:
A far better name for this thread would have been 'What cartridge for 600 yard Whitetail?' Few have discussed the merits of one caliber (bore size) versus another as most instead bring up their favorite cartridges for that particular purpose. Caliber is NOT an interchangeable word for Cartridge; they are not the same thing.
While that's technically correct it's a common mistake , the lines get blurred and people misuse words too. In this case I think you knew what was being asked and how people make this common mistake.
Coincidentally it seems there is a common theme with people suggesting the 7mm calibre, or specifically cartridges using 7mm projectiles. But wait, some are using the outdated imperial system of measurement so in terms of calibre the .284 or 7mm calibre has been suggested in a number of different cartridges.

If you want to hit the "easy button" just stick with 270win. Know your drop and shoot the neck. If you hit, DRT. If you miss, no wounded animal therefore no harm done.

Sorry, this is some that I am very adamant about……. I absolutely disagree with the assumption that a neck shot or a head shot is a guaranteed "death shot"! Wrong in so many ways! memtb
I don't think there is anything saying it's a guarantee of a death shot.

The suggestion is that the likelihood of a clean kill or the animal going down right there (drt) if hit in the neck, assuming it's vertrebrate damage the animal goes down the probability with a solid hit is it goes down and in the event of a clear miss the animal is unharmed.

A solid hit in the chest is no guarantee of the animal being recovered.

I don't think there is anything saying it's a guarantee of a death shot.

The suggestion is that the likelihood of a clean kill or the animal going down right there (drt) if hit in the neck, assuming it's vertrebrate damage the animal goes down the probability with a solid hit is it goes down and in the event of a clear miss the animal is unharmed.

A solid hit in the chest is no guarantee of the animal being recovered.

There's a lot of neck that isn't vertebra for the DRT, even if shot through the esophagus, an animal can go a long way! Same with a head shot….. probably most shots will be kill shots, but no guarantee on a DRT.

Have seen more than one head shot animal not recovered…..with the hunter likely thinking it was a miss, and didn't attempt to trail the animal!

A behind the shoulder shot offers a much greater margins of error, and generally offers a good blood trail if it's not a DZT. memtb

Sorry, this is something that I am very adamant about……. I absolutely disagree with the assumption that a neck shot or a head shot is a guaranteed "death shot"! Wrong in so many ways! memtb
You are absolutely right. "Most" instances, a head or neck shot is drt. But on the rare occasion it fails, it is not a pretty sight or good experience. Until a person has experienced the failures, it seems like a great idea. I still use it, in certain scenarios, when I'm absolutely confident in placement.

If you want to hit the "easy button" just stick with 270win. Know your drop and shoot the neck. If you hit, DRT. If you miss, no wounded animal therefore no harm
Not necessarily. I've seen head and neck shots go astray and it's not pretty.