What bullet for a 243?

Just got back from the range. Yep the first shot from my cold dirty barrel went 1/2" low today. The other four shots went into a small cluster. I will just have to learn to deal with it. I will go back this evening and try it again.

Well maybe it is me?? I went back this evening and crap. No low flyer all in a small tight cluster group. I will have to go back tomorrow or the next day and see if it happens again.

Well I feel better. Went back and shot this evening . It ain't the gun it was me. First shot wasn't low. Put it into the same group.

My favorite varmint bullet when I was shooting a 243 (Rem. 700 varmint barrel) was the Nosler SOLID BASE 75 gr. That was a looooog time ago. Then Nosler discontinued that bullet and came out with the ballistic tip 70 gr. I had to tweak the load a little to get it shooting as well as the 75s. Both turned groundhogs into humbugger. Picked up 500 100 gr Remington Corelock bullets and 500 80 gr Rem. soft points for next to nothing at a local wholesale place. Worked up a load for both that really shot well. Killed a bunch of deer with the 100s doing crop damage control and kept my shooting eye sharp in the summer shooting ground hogs and crows with the 80s. Those were the days. Glad you got that old 788 shooting. I never owned one myself but have sighted in a BUNCH of them for a friend who owned a sporting goods store that offered rifle sight in. Can't really remember one that was not a shooter. Only trouble was the heavy trigger that was not adjustable but once you learned it you could do OK.

I started to buy a trigger for it but I reworked the stock one over and got it down to 2 1/2 lbs. I can live with that. I am surprised at how good it shoots. I just wish it had a 24 or 26 inch barrel instead of the 22. Other than that I would not change a thing. It is good enough for who it's for. Me,LOL:)

My favorite short to mid range varmint bullet is the Nosler 55gr Lead Free Ballistic tip. Long range, I use the Hornady 105gr HPBT. I have very accurate loads for both and the 105gr is stout enough to use for deer and antelope. Probably not too impressive on squirrels though. I haven't tried.

6mm is my favorite caliber-bullet selection is fantastic!
But, if Crows were what I was sighting in on, mainly, it would be hard to justify another bullet than the Nosler 55 grain BTs. These are my favorite bullet in several rifles I use for prairie dingo/coyote shooting. From 6mm-Hornet to 6 TCU. Accuracy that reaches out there, and when it arrives at the target, the performance is awesome!
Lichen Slayer

I was bequeathed an AI AX13 in .243 earlier this year & have been working up loads.
I've had good results with 55gr Sierra BlitzKings (#1502) over 38.7gr Varget, with 5 shot groups consistently under .9" @ 200yds.
This is with my mediocre skills & shooting off the bipod & rear bag on a folding picnic table, so I'm sure the bullet can do even better.
I've not yet had the opportunity to take a fox with them but note others have had good results.

I just bought an old 788 rem. in 243. It is in great shape. Has not been shot much.This is going to be my walk around rifle. I have some old boxes of Hornady 70g sp, Hornady 80g sp, that a friend gave me, and just bought some 65g V max. I shoot more crows than anything but take a coyote and ground hoq every chance I get. I look at the drop charts and the 65s shoot flatter but they drift more. Anyone shooting the 65v max ? Also thought about the 75 and 87 v max. I know I will have to shoot them all to find my best load. So many choices and so little time LOL
Even though the Sierra 60 HP does not have a great BC, it is very accurate & one of my favorite critter bullets. Load it with some H414 & have some fun.
Thanks, Kirk

Well an update. I said to myself I wasn't going to deer hunt with it but I had an old box, the price tag said $18.00 of Hornady 100btsp and I said what the heck. I will try them. Was I surprised every load was under and inch. And the same point at 100yds as the hornady 70sp ,and 65 vmax load I am using. I can switch to varmint loads to deer loads and don.t have to mess with the scope. This has to be the most unfinicky gun I have ever seen. Just about everything I put through it, shoots good. I was working up my drops out to 500yds and it is hitting bulls eyes almost dead center, under moa everytime. This old 788 will flat shoot. I just don't know how to act.

Another thread going regarding Remington's financial difficulties. Dropping 788's from the line was one of the mistakes along the way...

Never heard of a bad one ! enjoy that 788, I do believe your breaking in that bbl, great on you , ive always thought one in 30-30 wcf would be neat to, yes I like the 243 also and have 2. sounds like your a very good reloader Congrat's again.

I've always gotten great accuracy with Speer 85 gr BTSP's.
They have a high BC for the weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.