243 for coyotes?

dennis

my friend would like to use his 243 for coyotes and would like some advice on how to get out to 500 yards with it. could anyone help him?

What do you mean "get out to 500 yards with it"? With a 100 gr. bullet, just lay down and shoot it!

243 for coyotes

i have killed over 250 coyotes most of them with a .243 85 grain bthp.. the farthest 492 yards with a 70 balistic tip. to consistently hit coyotes at 500 yards your rifle must be very accurate. 5 inches or less at 500. if you have shot targets at 500 yards you will learn. i would say you must have a good range finder. put a krieger barrel on a remington action get a leup 6.5-20 or 8 to 25.

ok, what I'm trying to do is be cheap. I have a rem .243 laying around since my daughter stopped gun hunting. So far I put a bi-pod on it, 4.5-14x leup. the farthest shot is 485 yrds. We have yotes all over the ridges, but haven't killed any this year yet. thye are preying on the turkey population. I have one on camera catching a hen in an open field. Just bought a foxpro and are now looking to go to work.

I'm not an expert, but I will help you as much as I can.
The first thing is to practice shooting at range!
What model? seven, 710, 700, 7400?
Remington uses a 1 in 9 1/8 twist (you should check this out by marking a cleaning rod and measureing how many inches it takes for the rod to make one full revolution). The reason I say this is because, generally speaking, you want to have the heaviest bullet that you can stableize for your longest shots - less wind resistence and more power. In order to stableize bullets over 100 grains in a 243 you should have a 9 twist or an 8 twist. Pobably getting too technical and your gun should will work very well with the 75 - 95 grain bullets at range. Make sure the barrel is free floated ( you can do this yourself) and if possible have the chamber bedded (@$80). Have the trigger set as low as you feel comfortable with (700 only)(@ $40). Use the best glass you can afford and practice.

Need, no. It depends on what he is comfortable with. Many people will dial in a long shot over 500. This takes a scope that is proven to be repeatable. I have not personally used a BDC reticle for shooting much. I have only played with them a little and wasn't overly impressed. I feel more secure with turning the turets for any shot over 400, but that is just me and I'm no expert!

.243 for coyotes

does he need a reticle scope?
he needs a load that will shoot a 4 to 5" group at 500 yards. you don't say if it is a remington 700. i would stay with the mid weight bullets from a 95 berger and 88 berger; 87 horn hp or v-max down to 70 baltip. i would try re-19; i4064 ; then i 4350.

if 500 yards is your max, id humbly suggest the 55gr btip, or the 58gr vmax. zippin out at about 4000fps, the 55gr will be better at short to medium ranges. it will also kill alot better. any hit in the body will kill a yote with a 55. the slower tougher bullets will leave you trackin em with a marginal hit (of which you will likely have a bunch of), although, if you are going to try to go much passed 500 or 600, the 55 will leave a pretty sour taste in ur mouth... the 87gr vmax would probably be the best choice for much farther with a factory gun. it will get you out and passed the limits of your gun...

my friend would like to use his 243 for coyotes and would like some advice on how to get out to 500 yards with it. could anyone help him?
Huh? I live where you can see for more than a 100 miles in fairly open country. The yote's I've seen at more than 300yrds were gone in a split second before I could shoot.. I've called them in within 15 yards and most I get under 75yrds. Must be some slow yote's your friend is going for.

It is mostly woods,fencelines and farm fields. the yotes sneak around the fences and the edges.

My advice to you, shoot a 85-87gr. hp and zero for 200yrds. Anything from 100-300yrds. hold dead on or just a hair under or over. For 400yrd. shots hold just over the back and for 500 where the the thinner crosshair connects with the thicker crosshair place that on his back. That should get you in ball park. A mil-dot scope helps out alot. At 300yrds. u got about 6" of drop with a 200yrd. zero at 400 20", 500 40". 10" is hit or miss judging distance is crutial. If wind is blowing over 5mph u need adjust a couple inches for longer shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.