Prefered .243 bullets for 1 in 10 twist barrel?

encoreguy

I am new to reloading the .243 and I am going shopping for bullets for my 1 in 10 twist Encore. I prefer the higher b.c bullets and will be using it for longer range coyotes and paper shooting. What bullets would you recommend I try?

Thanks!

The 87 V-Max rules for long range coyote hunting... no other bullet is even in its class. The 95 Berger VLD is a slick bullet with an awesome BC... but it leaves a lot to be desired in terminal performance. There are a lot of heavier bullets out there with higher BCs, or lighter bullets that you can shoot much faster... but an 87 grain V-Max at around 3400fps is baaaaaaad news for ol' Mr. Songdog!! ~JT

+1 on the 87g V-Max!! Look no futher..I use it in a 243 AI 1-12" twist 24"barrel and it flat gets the job "D.O.N.E"..

Chuck

ditto on the 87gr vmax, it is the highest BC bullet you can stabilize that will have a polymer tip. should be murder on dang near anything you hit with it.

steve

Agree Completely! the 87gr-Vmax is a great way to go for 1-10 twist. Its superb in by 6BR (3000fps) and good for at least 400yds (haven't shot it further). Super! accurate and the BC of 0.400 is good for cheating a bit of wind. And absolutely devistating on small game.

I attempted the 95 Berger but it simply wouldn't stabilise (at least at sea-level anyway). It needs at least 1-9. But will be trying them in 6mm-6.5x47Lapua F-Class project I have started (1-8 twist).

6BRBB

I shoot a 87 gr V-Max out of a 6x284. I've shot those bad boys at 3,600 FPS before. Two coyotes. 1st one was a laserd 341 yds. Hit him in the chest and he folded up like he was struck by lightening.( No exit) 2nd one was 80 yds hit him in shoulder bone. Bullet blew up i think on impact ( Made a huge bloody splash wound) but still part of the bullet still went through that yote.It looked really cooldog dropped never to get up again.

Not trying to hijack, but would you guys with 87 vamx experience shoot a doe antelope with it? If so, how far and what shot placement. Thanks, Eric

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to hijack, but would you guys with 87 vamx experience shoot a doe antelope with it? If so, how far and what shot placement. Thanks, Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd shoot any Pronghorn with it. I've never seen an 87 V-Max that didn't exit a Coyote... and Pronghorn aren't much bigger. Get into a shoulder though, and you'll ruin A LOT of meat. That being said, I think there's a lot of better bullets out there for the job... 95 grain Berger or B-Tip come to mind. ~JT

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.