What bipod for hunting?

Recently purchased the Atlas and do like it better than the swiveling, notched Harris, of which I have owned the 6-9 and 9-13. For me, when attempted to 'load' the Harris, with its legs that point slightly forwards of 90 deg to the barrel, the bipod continues to 'walk' forward unless you dig holes for the feet or some other such thing. (just put your rifle on the floor and push forward on the buttstock and the Harris will just move with your rifle as you push, the Atlas tends digs in much more compared to the Harris and stop and 'loads'.)

As a result, for me, I never felt like I had a completely solid platform up front. Now with the Atlas, due to it's more (designed) flexible components and a geometry that appears to have the legs pointing slightly rearwards relative to the barrel, the bipod seems to create a more stable platform as the bipod can be loaded more easily. I have seen groups tighten up...for me...at close and long range and, for me, I think the way this pod is designed is part of the reason. Others, likely very much more experienced shooters will have different opinions, but when I load the Atlas, the entire set-up feel much more solid than with the Harris.

The Atlas is also a couple of ounces lighter, for you backpacking ounce counters like myself. In addition, I have ordered the spike feet for it and the 3" leg extensions. The leg extensions are very lightweight and can be the very thing that allows that otherwise difficult shot while not requiring you to pack an entire second pod. The spike feet, well the jury is out...I hope that they will allow me to get good loading purchase in some areas that I typically shoot/hunt where the typical rubber legs tend to shift more.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.