what BCG do I want for my slick side DPMS/RRA 24" varmint/target build

tpichevy

Do I want a ar15 or m16 bcg? What brands should I look at? I bought a 24" upper without a bcg and I have never built an AR before....not sure what I need/ want. I want a good tight shooter for long range varmint target shooting. Thanks guys

really makes no difference as long as it is Mil spec you should have no issues
M16 has the bottom not milled for the sear release, civilian AR15 is milled for semi auto, both work

Do I want a ar15 or m16 bcg? What brands should I look at? I bought a 24" upper without a bcg and I have never built an AR before....not sure what I need/ want. I want a good tight shooter for long range varmint target shooting. Thanks guys

Is your 24 inch upper a .223 or a Wylde barrel? I personally have always used the full auto (heavier) bcgs. I found a site that listed the pressures experienced in the gas tubes of 14.5, 16, 18, 20 , 24 inch barrels. don't quote me, but you have lets say double the psi that the BCG experiences on the short barrels compared to the 20&24.

The heavier bolts slow the cycle time because of weight making for a smoother felt recoil reaction. My latest builds also included the nickel boron full auto BCG's

Bolt Carrier Groups - Upper Parts - AR-15

I have a
bushmaster BCG no issues GTG,
a PTAC niboron BCG its ok no issues finish isn't as nice as my fail zero
Fail Zero BCG is GTG my favorite BCG
Fatboy tactical black nitride BCG finish is ok gas key staking is cosmetic not functional and needs to be staked if you get one
I have both full auto and AR15 BCG's I can't tell a diffrence I'm sure there is but I can't feel it when running the firearms.

Fail Zero, Noveske, LMT, Youngs, JP: close your eyes and pick one out of a hat. You can't go wrong with any of them!

Check out the AR 15 Performance Super Bolt. Great design for strength improvements and 3 year warranty, he stands behind his Made In America work.

Bolts

I have one of his barrels and Super Bolts in my 6.8 SPC AR built on Black Rain Ordnance billet receivers.

I think one should worry about the bolt unlocking too soon.
I would use any quality BCG and would focus on the buffer system to make sure the unlock of the bolt is a little after the bullet leaves the barrel but not so heavy as to affect function of the weapon.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.