RRA AR 15 Varmint Scope Rings

newmexkid

I'm planning on getting the Nikon Black 1000 6x24x50 for my new AR. Generally speaking, in order to get a good sight picture do I need to get High or X-High rings? I haven't handled an AR in many years so I'm kinda lost.

Best setup I've found is just to go ahead and get a standard AR scope mount. I use the Vortex CM-202 30mm mount for mine, and my line-of-sight and scope height are about perfect for me.

https://swfa.com/vortex-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-3.html

The AR is a straight-pull design so your cheek will sit higher in the line of sight than a regular rifle with a drop-comb hunting stock. These days, this formula has been figured out by most optic mount manufacturers, so now they make fairly standard 1-piece AR scope mounts.

The mount I posted in the link above will sit your scope just right on heigh to clear the rifle.

Here's a picture of that same scope mount I posted a link to, on my 6.5 Grendel, showing how much it clears with a 42mm scope... You will have plenty of room with a 50mm.

fullsizeoutput_10b1.jpeg

Last edited:
The biggest problem for me when I first put a scope on an AR is needing to place the scope forward of the upper receiver. That's where the cantilever mount comes into existence. Get something like that made for an AR and you should be good to go.

Why would you mount your scope in front of the upper reciever? Was your rifle one of the pre-optics ready uppers, with the carry handle built in?

To get proper eye relief. I should have been a little clearer in that only a portion of the scope had to be forward. Granted, this took place about 15 years ago. Your picture shows what i had to do. My choices for mounts were very limited at the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.