What Barrel Length and Twist for a 270WSM Build

Thanks for all the good replies.

I checked out Berger's Twist Rate Calculator and looks like anywhere from a 8:1 to 10:1 would work for a 140gr to 150gr bullet. But when I go to the 170gr VLD it looks like I want a 8.5:1 minimum. Do the barrel guys even make a 8.5:1 or are you limited to 8:1 or 9:1?

If I went with a 8:1 over the 9:1 what would I be giving up with the 140s and 150s? Anything? Or in other words, why would I not want to go with a 8:1 since it'll also handle the 170s?
I shot 140s with my .270 AI with 1:8" without any problems. I primarily shoot the 175 Matrix VLDs.

I'm putting one together now. Mine is a long action that I want to run 170 Berger's. I went brux 26" rem var contour in 1:8. I wouldn't limit yourself with a slower twist, you may regret it later and it doesn't hurt you with the shorter/lighter bullets. Might want to consider a longer mag box and massaging the action to be able to seat longer bullets🤔. Good luck with your build.
Rep

I did a Krieger 5.5 at 26" and 1:8 twist. Run the 170 Berger over Retumbo just a little under 3000 fps.

The 270wsm is a kick *** round! The most versatile round ever! 1:8 twist and you can do it all.

No reason not too....im building a .270 sherman max and using a 1:8 tw...but i plan on using 170 bergers and a heavy type hammer/cutting edge bullet. I also live in louisiana with low altitude, high humidity and cold mornings that could destabilize the bullet if i dont esp with copper solids. I found a .270 8tw here for sale otherwise i would have got an 1:7.5 tw if i would have ordered a barrel.

I have a factory browning 270wsm and I'm shooting 110 gr Barnes TTSX out if it at blistering speed. It's a laser beam and puts deer in the dirt. I wouldnt shoot past 300yds with that light of a bullet though.

Mine is 25.5" 1:8 twist and it shoots 129 lrx in one hole and 170 Bergers at 3000 fps. It's flat nasty on deer and elk. It's the only rifle a guy needs for western and Alaska hunting. Go 1:8 & have no second thoughts. 156 Hammer Hunters are available too with 1:8 but not 8.5 or 9 twist.