What are these slots called?

skywag

slots.jpg

I have a rifle that Jim re-barreled for me 30 years ago. I finally had to put a new barrel on it last year. It is and was a shooter.

Back before it was a thing, I was hunting with Jim in the Snake River Breaks. He made a shot on a whitetail buck that was well over 600 yards with a 300 Win Mag. The buck was DRT his legs just folded underneath him like he was taking a nap. Back then there were no range finders. The shot was across a canyon with wind. Jim was a past champion at Camp Perry. I was watching the shot through his spotter from behind him. Not only was he a great smith he was a hell of a shot.

The only problem I have with any porting or barrel compensator is the increase in sound it puts back in your face. But some of them sure do cut back on felt recoil.

Gorgeous. I have had a number of magnum rifles and big bore revolvers ported by Mag-Na-Port, Intl back in the day. They do a good job reducing muzzle rise without no increase in noise and no back blast. My 44 Mag Ruger super redhawk barely jumps an inch off of front rest with full power loads. I actually enjoy shooting it.

Hi Sky, I have those" Mag na Port" slots on my 300 Weatherby Mag. Back in the 70s , it was an attempt to control Muzz. Jump. They used an EDM machine to burn the slots in to the barrel . Supposedly, it did not mar the Rifling, as machining would have. Not as effective as all the Muzz. Break Devices we have available today, but that was tech of that era. Love the rifle!! Elegant !!!