What action

Nope not kidding, put one in a lathe and check them out, check the firing pin geometry in the bolt vs the firing pin assembly. Nearly no Stiller will have two lugs contacting. I'll use a Stiller cause I can fix them or send them back after inspection and they'll be serviceable and for the money it'll be decent but for out if the box quality it won't touch a BAT.

Need to compare Apple's to Apple's. Stiller makes mostly hunting and tactical actions with the exception of the pt1000. Chuck up a pt1000 and compare it to a bat, who makes mostly benchrest actions. The tac 408 will be more than acceptable for a 375 build. For the extra cost of the bat you can use the stiller and have an extra barrel spun up. Bat makes some of the best actions out there, im not debating that.

What's the point of buying a Stiller and having to work on it when you could get a 700 action for 3x cheaper? Obviously for smaller cartridges, not these big rounds. I'm just curious, thanks

By the time you pay a Smith to square up and work over a 700 action you've about got the cost of a custom action.

Guys I'm not looking for a fight or a chevy vs ford debate. Just looking for what the people here have built their 375 cheytac builds on. Like I said I already have one and this same smith chambered mine he just does't deal with these big cartridges very often. A top quality chamber job is a top quality chamber job whether its a 17 fireball or 375 cheytac. The only difference is the components are much larger.

Need to compare Apple's to Apple's. Stiller makes mostly hunting and tactical actions with the exception of the pt1000. Chuck up a pt1000 and compare it to a bat, who makes mostly benchrest actions. The tac 408 will be more than acceptable for a 375 build. For the extra cost of the bat you can use the stiller and have an extra barrel spun up. Bat makes some of the best actions out there, im not debating that.

We're not talking a P1000 were talking a tac 408! Put a full power spring in the P1000 and see if it runs as smooth as the BAT.

By the time you pay a Smith to square up and work over a 700 action you've about got the cost of a custom action.
But if you have to true up and check the QC on a Stiller, why pay 3x the money? I thought the purpose of buying a custom action was to get something that's true and doesn't need work.

But if you have to true up and check the QC on a Stiller, why pay 3x the money? I thought the purpose of buying a custom action was to get something that's true and doesn't need work.
You won't turn a Rem into a Stiller for the same money! I like Stiller's even though they need to be watched, they make a low cost serviceable action. There are some others that are better for little to no dollars more in a regular size but Cheytac size the market narrows!!

You need to square the receiver and boltface on the rem 700. The post your referring to isn't talking about the receiver and bolt face. That's done on a Stiller or any other custom action.

We're not talking a P1000 were talking a tac 408! Put a full power spring in the P1000 and see if it runs as smooth as the BAT.

I don't think there is any doubt that bat makes a better action than Stiller does, it's reflected in the price and availability. I would personally go with the Stiller and spend the extra money on the glass or have an extra barrel spun up. Is using a bat action worth the price over a Stiller? Only the shooter can determine that. If money is a concern I'd go with the Stiller and get the best glass I can afford. Will the bat gun outshoot the Stiller gun? Maybe. Maybe not. It will probably be close enough to come down to the shooter or your wind call.

bat-clipart-1.jpg

VS
ben-stiller-two.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.