What ACTION for a 7mm-338 LAPUA Imp. cartridge?

CanadianLefty

Ok, maybe got the bug for a 7-338 LAPUA.

I need a Left Hand Stainless Steel action for the Lapua cartridge bolt face

I got a local gunsmith telling me that the Stainless Steel Remington action can be used, but for about US $1200 I would be much better off using the Nesika Bay Precision action that is 750 diameter and .590 bolt face.

Which would you choose? Any other choices come to mind?

I was told to get a 30" barrel, Hart, Lilja or Browton (sp?) but I would prefer a 28"- is 2" going to make a big difference?

Looking for max. rifle weight of 12 pounds all up with A5 stock, 5.5x22 Nightforce and shooting max between 180gr or 210gr wildcat or similar bullets.

Any other comments?

BTW, NO MUZZLE BRAKE- how much will this rifle kick at 12 pounds, all up?

In the end, am I better off with a 7mmRUM or 7mm-338RUM- or is the Lapua brass worth the effort?

Thanks.

I needed that good laugh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Are you serious? A 7mm-.338 lapua imp? Do you know that it will probably turn your barrel inside out? And you would have to have a 36" barrel to gain any advantage over the "smaller" cartridges.
I think you would be better off playing it a little more conservative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
If you do go with that cartridge, the BAT, Geske, Nesika, or any of the high quality actions will work fine.

goodgrouper, then help me out for f$&%#*@ sake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What would you get for a 0-800 yard, relatively low recoiling rifle chambered for a cartridge-bullet combo that bucks prairie winds like no tomorrow for use strictly on Canadian Mulies, Whitetailed deer, antelope and caribou?????

Yeah, I can hear it now- a 7STW or RUM is more than enough- is it? Then please tell me why.

Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. maybe I should not improve the cartridge!

Didn't mean to rattle you up. It is just that I haven't heard anything funnier than that since the 22-.378 eargoneloudensplittenboomer!

Neither the 7 ultra or 7 stw have tolerable recoil levels without brakes in my opinion, and are still a little too much for good barrel life.

It is hard to say what would be the best gun for each hunter as styles, ranges, conditions, and biases are all factors.

You state you want something that bucks the wind, and I assume you want something flat. High bc is the best tool for overcoming wind, and velocity is best for flatness (to a point). If it were me, I would not scoff at a hot loaded .25-06 or 7mm mag with accubonds. It sounds quiant I know, but you can turn boring, small cartridges into huge competitors by just using bullets with high bc's.

Interesting- you're probably right and deep down I know you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif it just sounds so mundane to choose an old reliable and accurate cartridge for loonngg range.

How would a 300 win mag fend in this arena? I know that you are using one on elk- is it too much for 250lb deer?

I was already going to have built a custom rifle in that cartridge or dakota but wanted something for smaller game.

Maybe a 270 Dakota? or is that too overbore also?

Why not true up a 700 Action, hang a 28" barrel and chamber it in 280 Ackley Improved, or a 7mm Mag. Both would be fine out to the yardages you plan on shooting. Of the two mentioned I like the 280 with the improved chamber the best.

JMO

Frank D

If it was me I just go with a custom 7mmRUM on a Rem action and be done with it, you'll save the hassle of necking down the 338LM to 7mm and a good amount of money.
JMHO,
Wayne

I too love the .280 AI! It can be loaded with 120 ballistic tips for a lazer flat traj out to 500 yards, and if you need something to go farther than 500, you can load 160 Accubonds for a true get out an get em gun. And barrel life is good (which I consider<font color="red"> <u>THE</u> </font> most important thing next to accuracy so you can practice long shots without worry of toasting your throat).Good choice.

I am a firm believer in the chinese proverb, "don't use cannon to kill mosquito."
Yes, I do use a 300 win mag and I have found it to be a true gem of a cartridge. I have used it for deer, elk, sheep, coyotes, and prairie dogs! Now you might think that a 300 mag IS using a cannon to kill a prairie dog, but these were looooonnng prairie poodles. Way past normal ranges, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 300 mag for deer if looong deer are your quest!
But having said that, I will probably not go with a .300 winny when it comes time to rebarrel that gun. Truth be told, I could have killed my 820 yard cow, and my 835 yard spike with a lowly dirty-06! Now I won't rebarrel it to an '06, but something like a .308 Norma or .30-.338 gets 98% the trajectory of a .300 winny with less powder, a longer neck, and up to 20% more throat life-all with equal accuracy! THis is the kind of research that seperates frustrated 300 ulta mag users (who are always rebarreling) from the happy and content .30-.338 shooters at 1k benchrest matches.
PS. I can already hear the retorts of the disgruntled ultra users, so let me say that I am not harping on your gun, I am merely stating the fact that my cow would not be able to tell the diff of getting hit by a 308, or a 300 ultra. She was dead, and there are no degrees of dead. It is all up to the shooter and his ability to compensate for the less-flat traj of the punier cartridges.

Here is my opnion if you want a good shooting custom rig with lazer flat trajectories for under 1200 bucks. I would buy a savage stainless action left hand used for around $275 dollars Then I would send it to sharp shooter supply and get it blue printed for some around 60 to 100 dollars and a sharp shooter trigger for a $100 get a competion recoil lug for $20 and have the bolt face reamed out for the laupa. Then I would buy there version of the mc millan a-5 out of the mold for $200 and paint it your self. These are nice stocks fiberglass with aluminum bedding blocks, you really don't have to bed them. Then I would call kevin rayhill in nebraska and have him chamber me a benchmark barrel 7 rayhill rocket, it is just a shortened 7 mm laupa with a 35 degree sholder, holds 90 grain of powder. Get a 30 inch barrel and have him tension it with a alumnium sleeve and put a muzzle break on. The benchmark barrels are great haven't had a bad one, owned 5. I built a savage in a 30-338 laupa imp with 30 tensioned barrel with aluminum with sss thumbhole stock that weighs about 10 pounds and shoots like a heavy barrel without the weight. The gun shoots great and is still a portable hunting rifle. My 30-338 imp will 3750-3850 fps in my 30 tube with 150 interbonds. These are just my thoughts and it is what worked for me. Just giving you some options.

Reed MOsser.

When did McMillan start putting an aluminum bedding block in their A-5 Stocks???

Contrary to popular belief, even a stock with an aluminum bedding block will on average shoot better after being bedded to the receiver. Often significantly better. It just depends on if youare satisfied with 1/2 moa or if your looking to play with the 1/4 moa average area.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

CanadianLefty,

I would go with a 7MM WSM or a 7MM RSAUM in a short action remington. Use an extended magazine or HS Precision detachable mag. to get a little more space for you OAL. You can shoot either the 160 gr. accubond or the 175 gr. matchking and have plenty of velocity and energy to 1200 yards. For the 12lb requirement you will have to have MCmillan do a light fill on the stock, plan on no adjustable cheek piece and a fixed length of pull. I would recommend a remington varmint contour on the barrel at most.
For the scope rings and mount, I would reccomend TPS or Badger aluminum piccanty style. These will help with weight and still give the strength and accuracy that you want. I am talking about saving weight because your nightforce will be 2 lbs, A5 stock min. 2.5 lbs, bipod etc. It all adds up fast. Also, most people shoot much better with a round that doesnt kill on both ends of the rifle. A muzzle brake helps, but then you have to worry about ear protection while you are hunting. I Know that goodgrouper will track me down for this comment but, most people that are getting into long range shooting think you need tons of velocity to shoot far. I reccomend a 308 for a first LR rig. Boring I know, but it has everything needed to get to 800yards without the recoil or muzzle blast. On that thought, the above mentioned 7MM would be perfect for what you are doing.

Sorry about the ramble.

Goodluck

LiteTac

[ QUOTE ]
Contrary to popular belief, even a stock with an aluminum bedding block will on average shoot better after being bedded to the receiver. Often significantly better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more! Just because you buy a $400 Mcmillan stock doesn't mean the gun is done. It simply means that now guys like Kirby can finish the job with a good bed job and you'll have a real gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.