What about .270 Winchester?

HI Mr. "Lizer", That is a beautiful Ruger #1 . Ill bet it will love the 130 Grn, Ballistic Tips . Make up some Accurate loads with IMR 4350 or H 4831 SC at about 3050 /3100 Fps. Although you have so many choices, I find Win LR Primers have always been 'Hot" enough to ignite properly in all my .270 Win Loads. Best of luck with the new rifle, Buddy !!!

HI Mr. "Lizer", That is a beautiful Ruger #1 . Ill bet it will love the 130 Grn, Ballistic Tips . Make up some Accurate loads with IMR 4350 or H 4831 SC at about 3050 /3100 Fps. Although you have so many choices, I find Win LR Primers have always been 'Hot" enough to ignite properly in all my .270 Win Loads. Best of luck with the new rifle, Buddy !!!
Thank you sir! It is gorgeous, seriously the other side is even prettier!! Maybe I'll start a thread... Made in 1978, great trigger, short overall length and sub 8 lbs all up with scope and sling. I'm definitely going to try the 130's as well as the 140 game changer and the 150 partitions. It's quickly becoming my favorite hunting rifle!

I have Win LR and based on sheer volume that's what I was going to go with. I save my Fed 210's for my 358 Hoosier. Probably use H 4350 and at this point I can't find any 270 brass in stock at my usual haunts so looks like I'll neck up all the Black hills gold 25-06 brass I have.

I gotta keep cousin Ron flush with deer meat and pictures of successful hunts for years to come…. What a gift!!!

I just bought 100 Once Fired , highly polished pieces of 06 for brass on Gun Broker, for 52 Bucks' I have seen lots of brass for sale on that sight in the past month!! Several Guys Wet Tumble them and they look incredible. I use mainly Win Brass for mt 270 in both the Weatherby Ultralight and the Model 70 Super Grade. I separate the Cases by 1/2 grain weight after all cleaning and prep is done. Now that I am annealing brass, I expect to get about 8 to 10 loadings from the cases. I hope!!! Send pictures of the Bucks you get with that beautiful rifle. Good Luck Buddy

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
I have 5 270's. You cant go wrong. I'd look at getting an older Remington 700. If one wishes in the future, putting a 26" pipe on is easy

Well, that just about settles it. I have a spare weatherby vanguard in 7mm rem mag, I think I will rebarrel it to 270. Been thinking about doing it for a year now. With all these positive comments about the.270, don't see where I can go wrong!!

Well, that just about settles it. I have a spare weatherby vanguard in 7mm rem mag, I think I will rebarrel it to 270. Been thinking about doing it for a year now. With all these positive comments about the.270, don't see where I can go wrong!!
Hmm given a choice between a 270 Win and 7mm rem mag I'll take the 7mm rem mag. No bolt change, better choice of high bc bullets, and you already have the brass. Just get a faster twist rate.

Totally agree, go for it.

I think he means 270 Wby 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
Could be, I'd still go for a 7mm RM over a 270 WBY. The brass cost alone would send me to the 7mm RM. I have a 270 Win and love the cartridge. If you don't need to shoot over 400 yards it's fine. But if you need to shoot farther then I'd take a 7mm or 30 cal. Just a better bullet selection. But if you can get a Berger 170 gr to shoot then a 270 whatever will give encroach on 7mmm ballistics. As much as I love the 270 cal I'm just not willing to bet a barrel that I can get only one bullet to shoot.

With the magnum bolt face you might want to consider the 270/300WM.

Could be, I'd still go for a 7mm RM over a 270 WBY. The brass cost alone would send me to the 7mm RM. I have a 270 Win and love the cartridge. If you don't need to shoot over 400 yards it's fine. But if you need to shoot farther then I'd take a 7mm or 30 cal. Just a better bullet selection. But if you can get a Berger 170 gr to shoot then a 270 whatever will give encroach on 7mmm ballistics. As much as I love the 270 cal I'm just not willing to bet a barrel that I can get only one bullet to shoot.

Yeah "regular" brass is hard enough to come by these days. I wouldn't want to be searching (or paying) for Weatherby brass but they are cool.

Yeah "regular" brass is hard enough to come by these days. I wouldn't want to be searching (or paying) for Weatherby brass but they are cool.
I should note though the 270 WBY was one of the easiest cartridges to make accurate loads for. It was right up there with the 308 Win. But that was with the standard 1-10 twist for 270's. Not a fast twist one.

Last edited:
My first deer rifle was a 270Win, so I will say a resounding yes for the 270Win. Since my blood runs green I would recommend a Remington 700 made anytime before the downhill slide of Remington.