What about .270 Winchester?

I started my hunting and reloading career with a 270, a very inexpensive winchester fwt model 70 XTR - push feed. It was not extremely accurate with factory loads so I took up reloading and discovered that the chamber was factory cut a little large and that the shiny ring at the case head was so severe that I only got 2 or 3 reloads from cases before I had to discard them. With new brass, I learned to fireform them with a long seated bullet. But I also discovered that this rifle would shoot reduced or low velocity loads very well, like consistent 3/8" 5 shot groups. So I loaded a bunch of 2750 FPS 130 Grain bullets and killed everything I shot at. But, in the mid 80's after reading about the 284 Win and it's attributes in a short action, I picked up one in a Browning A-bolt. The factory barrel was outstanding and it was very light weight. Groups averaged under 1/2" and with target bullets 1/4" was achievable. And it liked to the max loads. At about 6000 rounds thru it, the accuracy tapered off and I got it rebarreled with a shilen match and accuracy returned to original. The smith that did the work however, mentioned that the rings were not tight when he was doing the work, so its possible the rifle did not need a new barrel! Now this barrel has over 5000 rounds thru it and accuracy has tapered off. The safe now contains 3 - 284's, a couple of 7-08's and a pair or 280 AI's. My transitiion to the 284 caliber was originally due to the vast variety of types of bullets and weights of bullets. At that time, mono's were just becoming available. Now, I've found that lightweight mono's driven at faster speeds perform very well and penetrate as well or better that the old heavy cup and lead core bullets and shoot much flatter. So that said, I believed with the development of the present day mono's the 270 will just about match the performance of the 284 caliber rounds and component availability is getting better all the time.

Wait a minute…why on earth is the 270
The only one wearing a 28 inch barrel and things like the the 28 nos and 300 rum have 26"?????? Is it that the 270 is unbraked and all the others are and the brake isn't included in the barrel length???

That's so weird haha.

The .300 RUM with the 8 twist certainly has my attention loud and clear….
Obviously Browning recognizes the overall "power" of the old girl!!! 😂 I am trying find their max COAL for magazine to see if enough for seating monos out.

Obviously Browning recognizes the overall "power" of the old girl!!! 😂 I am trying find their max COAL for magazine to see if enough for seating monos out.

Here you go;

I thought it was 3.56", but this spreadsheet lists as 3.605" (my memory isn't what it once was)

The 270Win has been the red-headed step child of the hunting world for a long time for every reason anyone could dream up. Too fast, too light, too small, no bullet selection, not a 30-06, not a 7 mag, bad brass selection, too much case stretch, and on and on. The fact is, it is about as close to perfect as you can get for most hunters for most critters with the bullets that have been coming available for the last 30 years. From 10 to 600 yards the 270 will get it done with a myriad of different bullets from a 10 twist. It is easy on the shoulder for the performance it provides, it has a good selection of powders to work with, tons of brass options in all price ranges and yes, plenty of application specific and do-all bullets to choose from. If you get one, you will find yourself reaching for it more often than you think.
Bout time someone said this!!!!

I don't see what you mean about lower pressure and higher velocity

But I do agree about the cartridge.

I'm a .270 and 30 cal guy so the 7mms are a bit redundant for me BUT even Jack O'Connor himself is purported to have reluctantly admitted that the 280 rem was a superior cartridge to his baby, the .270 😱

Why would anyone want a 270 when they could have a 6.5 CM?
I mis read that!! To me it said why would you want a 6.5 cm when you can have a 270 Winchester i totally agree to that philosphy!!

I mis read that!! To me it said why would you want a 6.5 cm when you can have a 270 Winchester i totally agree to that philosphy!!
I was just being sarcastic. I'm not a fan of the 6.5 CM purely because of the hype. But I do like the ballistics. I have a 270 win and enjoy it. But currently my 260 AI is becoming my favorite rifle.