What about .270 Winchester?

Some young whipper snapper from Saskatchewan already said everything I was going to say. Thanks Calvin45, now I don't have to type as much.:):) I will add that I have been using the boring Hornady Inter locks in 150 grain with IMR4350 for 40 years. I am a little over the book recommendation for load, but have never had a pressure sign. Average velocity is 2983 FPS. never took a second shot at a critter.
I have found the same....if you miss the first shot....they generally are too far away for a second! So why waste it...especially with today's limited supplies!🤣
(However on a more serious note.....couldn't agree more with your bullet and powder)

….and I'm back! 🤣

When I was 18 I bought the hornady single stage press and full kit on their "get loaded 2012" promotion - I've suggested hammer bullets needs a "get hammered" promotion now haha - anyways couldn't beat that deal! Bought the kit, got 500 "free" bullets but they all had to be the same - I selected 130 grain 270 interlocks.

I also tried 140 btsp interlocks and 150 interlocks (the boring old cartridge works fine with boring old bullets I guess)

They all work. The 130s, of the interlocks, honestly work best. I'm in Saskatchewan, so can answer you about "northern whitetail" More of my whitetail have been taken with the 270 Winchester and the 130 grain flat base interlock than any other cartridge bullet combo. It's effective with powders all the way from 4064 on the fast end to 7828 on the slow burning end. Not hard to make it go way over 3000 fps with either of those powders and anything in between them out of my 22 inch barrel.
could you message me some of your loads been hunting & shooting reloading for 35yrs don't own 270 been looking at that cal thks jerry moore

I should note though the 270 WBY was one of the easiest cartridges to make accurate loads for. It was right up there with the 308 Win. But that was with the standard 1-10 twist for 270's. Not a fast twist one.
What was your load for a 270 weatherby? Just picked up a Mark V Deluxe with a vx2 (soon to be changed out), 80 pieces of brass and a set of RCBS dies for $1600

What was your load for a 270 weatherby? Just picked up a Mark V Deluxe with a vx2 (soon to be changed out), 80 pieces of brass and a set of RCBS dies for $1600
Geez sorry I don't remember. I made that load probably 14-15 years ago. I'm pretty sure it was with a Nosler 140 gr BT. Book load suggests N560 as their most accurate load. I'd start there. Because of Weatherby's long throat I didn't play with seating depth, and I used tangent ogive bullets. If you have a Sierra Manaul or Hornady they might list their most accurate powders too. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Geez sorry I don't remember. I made that load probably 14-15 years ago. I'm pretty sure it was with a Nosler 140 gr BT. Book load suggests N560 as their most accurate load. I'd start there. Because of Weatherby's long throat I didn't play with seating depth, and I used tangent ogive bullets. If you have a Sierra Manaul or Hornady they might list their most accurate powders too. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Nosler page

They like RL19 for the 130's just thought may still have something squirreled away in a reloading bible

Nosler page

They like RL19 for the 130's just thought may still have something squirreled away in a reloading bible
In hodgdons load data for that cartridge 7828 is the king. And I'd expect as much. It's the king in my .257 wby for 100-115 grainers and is just approaching full 270 winchester power when using compressed loads, and does better with 150s than 130s in that cartridge.

The .270 wby and imr7828 should be a match made in Heaven.

In hodgdons load data for that cartridge 7828 is the king. And I'd expect as much. It's the king in my .257 wby for 100-115 grainers and is just approaching full 270 winchester power when using compressed loads, and does better with 150s than 130s in that cartridge.

The .270 wby and imr7828 should be a match made in Heaven.
I'm sitting on 5lbs of RL19 with nothing to use it on. Hoping someone had a recipe with that one in mind, but I also have a pile of 7828ssc. So let the fun and games commence

I don't want to insert myself into this response but I load for several 270 Weatherby mags. 7828 has been a staple especially for the 140's. In the ones I load for including more my own, I'm running H4831SC with the 117 Hammer Hunters from 71.5 to 73.8. Results have been stellar.

In the 80s I had a Ruger m77 r in 270 Win with the most beautiful stock I have ever seen on a Ruger. The rifle was super accurate and still regret selling it. I now have a Remington 700 BDL detachable mag in 270 win that shots ok but think I will always own one as they are mild shooting and a good all round rifle and cartridge .I hope that I never have to choose between it and my 280 Rem Mountain SS .

Edit regarding my last post: I see you aren't putting sako in the running for the under 1000 recommendations but simply stating that they, especially in older models, are very good rifles. I certainly agree with that! It's 2:30 in the morning I here and I just finished calming down one of my kids after a nightmare and now they're snoring and I'm awake haha so naturally I'm on LRH…maybe I shouldn't be reading and writing at this hour 🤣
You will get a used Sako for under US$1,000 hopefully but you guys will know??

Sako under 1000 dollars???

Maybe I've just been lucky with my savage and weatherby experiences haha, no rebuilding necessary and (again, just my own limited experiences, like anyone else on here), my weatherby vanguard and my "cheap" and admittedly not so easy on the eyes 🤣 and no-comment savage, from a pure accuracy perspective right out of the box, has outperformed both a tikka t3 and a Remington 700. I can't pretend I haven't seen what I've seen. I do appreciate how smooth and pleasing to look at the tikkas are and am in no way bashing them - though I do think they're overrated but for sure they're pretty. I do understand full well why the Remington 700 has earned the reputation it has for accuracy builds (and also that buying anything Remington from the last 20 years is especially "hit and miss")

But it's pretty surprising to me that you're stating you need to rebuild the non-tikka/sako brand guns to function properly. Just hasn't been my experience at all. I think it just plainly annoys gun snobs how some basic savage rifles (again, the axis need not apply!) shoot right out of the box for cheap. I kind of derive a smug satisfaction from it personally 😁

I do indeed need to get out more - but this is not why! 🤣

I have zero experience with Howa so can't say either way but I do hear very good things…are they identical to the weatherby vanguard action?
I had a Howa 6.5 PRC very accurate but a tight bore, over pressure signs every time, the Tikka in same calibre is brilliant 147gr doing 3,000 fps with VHT 565 powder no pressure. Tikka are consistent where you never get a lemon, unlike some other brands. I am sure the more dubious brands produce a winner at times say when the stars align 🙈