What 7mm-08 bullet?

gpo1956

I'll be reloading for a Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 7mm-08. I'll be using the load for whitetail in south Texas. Shots will range from 50-500 yards. Size will vary from 90lbs to approximately 200lbs. I'll be shooting during the balance of the year, but using this load only. What one bullet would you recommend?

1.) Nosler anything
2.) Speer Hotcor
3.) Barnes 120 TTSX with all the Varget you can find

Of all these, the Noslers are the best. Here's what I mean: if you shoot a less than perfect shot, the noslers are awesome, because the explode shrapnel all through the animal. Think of a nosler as a small grenade. For me, this is perfect because I am a terrible shot. I'm great on a bench shooting paper, but if I see horns, I'm 9.0 earthquake. Nosler's exploding bullets will take a deer down....

gpo, we load these in my grandson's 7mm08 and they are very accurate. He has only shot to 300 yds, but is working his way out there. 24 inch barrel Ruger with Hornady brass. Good luck

What kind of velocities should I expect to get out of a 24" barrel? Also, whats a good powder to use with these?

I hunt non-lead because I prefer it. Also the law :rolleyes:

IIWM: TTSX 140, loaded to fit mag. I prefer one groove exposed. RL-17 or H414. Perhaps the new IMR Enduron. ~2850 fps.

For jacketed: Nosler AB 140. I haven't used it but well proven.

I'll be reloading for a Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 7mm-08. I'll be using the load for whitetail in south Texas. Shots will range from 50-500 yards. Size will vary from 90lbs to approximately 200lbs. I'll be shooting during the balance of the year, but using this load only. What one bullet would you recommend?

That is like asking what pick up truck is the best. There are many different answers. And they are apt to come with lots of passion. I would be silly not to answer your question with anything other than you should use our bullet. I think it is the best one available. After that my opinion is that you should use a good quality designated hunting bullet.

Steve

What kind of velocities should I expect to get out of a 24" barrel? Also, whats a good powder to use with these?

Velocity, I'm not sure, but best powder I have had luck with in the .308-based cartridges is Varget. Another good one would be CFE 223.

I don't shoot 7mm-08. That being said I would pick one bullet for dear and one for elk. Instead pick the best bullet for your job. For hunting I have used soft point boat tail 185gr. in Speer and hornaday. My rifle chose the bullet and powder charge. Meaning I played with several loads and picked the load that was most accurate (weight/bullet Bc and speed) and use it for everything. Yes the bullet is a bit much for a dear but I what that rifle as perfect as possible to hide my errors. I prefer to have my bullet mushroom well but stay in tack for best chance of entrance and exit wound. This allows the to blead out the fastest and since using this load with the 300 Winmag I haven't had an elk walk more than 10 yards. The 7mm has better Bc a cross the board so you should find a lighter billet if you barrel has the right twist.

That is like asking what pick up truck is the best. There are many different answers. And they are apt to come with lots of passion. I would be silly not to answer your question with anything other than you should use our bullet. I think it is the best one available. After that my opinion is that you should use a good quality designated hunting bullet.

Steve

Steve, I didn't ask what was the best bullet. I asked for peoples opinions based on their experiences. I thought I plainly listed the criteria. It seems fairly straight forward to me. If you've hunted under similar circumstances, what has worked for you? Not to be smart, but I would have thought a "good quality designated hunting bullet" was a given. Not trying to make this into something its not.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.