What 7mm-08 bullet?

Hornady interlock. 139btsp or the 162. I know many on here don't think much about the IL, but they get the job done. Another not to over look is the 120gr Nosler BT. It's a very stout bullet for it's weight, but if you're really going out to 500 yards I'd probably keep my bullets a bit heavier.

Steve, I didn't ask what was the best bullet. I asked for peoples opinions based on their experiences. I thought I plainly listed the criteria. It seems fairly straight forward to me. If you've hunted under similar circumstances, what has worked for you? Not to be smart, but I would have thought a "good quality designated hunting bullet" was a given. Not trying to make this into something its not.

Wow. Sorry I replied. I would not think that anyone answering would give you advice to use something other than what they would consider the best bullet given the yardage and game intended to shoot. Or perhaps some of the guys are giving you advice to use bullets other than what they think is the best.

Use whatever bullet you want.

Steve

I've been hunting with a 7-08 as my primary deer caliber for about 15 years now, and my experiences have lead me to the 140 grn Nosler BT. It's a great cup and draw bullet that performs flawlessly if you consider its purpose. I'm currently on my 8th DRT with this combination, which is what I'm really looking for in a deer bullet.

I went through a well constructed bullet faze when I was younger, but I started noticing animals never dropped on impact, and generally covered a significant amount of ground. I noticed small entrance wounds, with fairly small exits. Dead animals for sure, but they often covered some ground, and many caught several bullets because I don't stop shooting until they stop wiggling.

Somewhere along the line I decided more fragile bullets were called for with thin skinned game. I hunt Texas a fair amount between Devine and El Paso, and that's thick country, and I prefer not to have to trail an animal. The same applies for my home state of Oregon, and Idaho which I hunt every year as well. These are brushy, thickly vegetated landscapes, and trailing a deer can be tough. The less robust bullets like the BT, SST, Interlock, etc., work wonders in that they open quickly causing a fair amount of damage. If you keep the bullet in the boiler room, you don't have much blood shoting either. I have shot a few through shoulders and they've always penetrated to the far side (even through both shoulders of big Northern white tails), and often exiting. In this situation there's some blood shot, but it's far from extreme.

The BT's I've recovered have almost always maintained about 50% of their original weight, which again, is all I can ask of a quick opening, fast killing bullet.

Forgot to mention this combo is hell on hogs since your hunting in Texas. Haven't had one go more than about 20-30 yards, and the majority of them have been DRT's as well.

140 gr Sierra Pro Hunter....Cheap, accurate and will do all you want it to. Have used it in 7-08, 7mauser, 280 Rem, 7 mag, and 7 STW, 2800 - 3400fps. Killed everything that I hit.....misses don't count.... Has a relatively heavy jacket that allows penetration with expansion. Why spend more on what doesn't do more. My 50+ years of experiences. I have used all of the major suppliers except Berger....not convinced but probably will try them, just to say I did...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.